Priceline help NYC October

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16th, 2003, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any experience with a winning bid for mid October weekend in NYC? I am aware of bidding for travel but no posts for this time frame. I would bid 3*, Midtown West East or South.
Old Aug 16th, 2003, 09:46 PM

Last year, I bid on Priceline for Columbus Day weekend. I had been bidding for weeks and finally got the Intercontinental Barclay for $125/night plus tax for 3 nights. That price was about $50 less than what the hotel was charging.

Columbus Day weekend is a very popular time to be in New York. Prices may have been higher last year as it appeared that the hotels were filled or nearly filled to capacity as there was an induction ceremony to honor the firefighters that passed away, not just on September 11th, but nationally for the years 2000 and 2001. The ceremony was held at Madison Square Garden last year, and there was also a march that went on for about 2 miles.

What you should do is check the prices of the hotels on their respective websites for the time you are interested in being in NYC and then complete the questionnaire that Bidding for Travel provides. One of the moderators will help you formulate a bid.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 10:41 AM

As Leslie suggests, www.biddingfortravel.com can provide you with the ins and outs of bidding on Priceline. I just got back from New York; stayed 4 nights at the Sheraton Hotel & Towers. I believe it's one of the 3-star hotels that frequently comes up for MTW (Midtown West). Probably because it has a large capacity (think it's around 1400 rms); this place would NOT be my choice if paying the rate of $159 --- however, I thought it decent accommadation for the Priceline price I paid of $87/night. The location is excellent; it's on 7th Ave @ 52nd St, easy walking distance up to Central Park or down to the Theatre District. If you check on Trip Advisor, you'll see mixed reviews on this hotel. But like I said, for me (traveling solo), it suited my needs.
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:12 AM

IMO bidding 4* is a better bet (better hotels) & better value. And I would add midtown north or whatever they call the area just south of Central Park. What's your budget?
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 11:38 AM
blh

A bid of 2-1/2* MTE always seems to be Courtyard Marriott - which is a pretty safe bid - the reviews are all very good, and you can ussually get it around $75. There have been several posts here in the last couple of weeks from people who stayed there and really liked it. We are staying there in December and think it is a very good value, good location, etc., for the money. Good luck!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:30 PM

I have just booked on Priceline for next week. Having stayed in various areas of New York on other visits I knew that I wanted to stay in the Midtown West area. Partly because I am taking my 2 20ish kids and I know that the energy in that part of town is going to give them a fantastic New York experience and partly because if I'm doing Theatre I would definitely want to stay in that area because I would eliminate the need to taxi over from somewhere else when I am trying to get to a restaurant for dinner before a play (as is everyone else). I knew from biddingfortravel that for around $75 I would get a 3star and that most likely it would be the Sheraton New York Hotel & Towers. Since we needed 2 rooms I didn't feel the need to go higher (around $100) for a 4 star. I don't plan to spend much time in the room! Regarding your October date I don't find huge jumps in Priceline prices...they either have the inventory or they don't. If you want to email me directly with more questions, please do. Good luck.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:04 AM

I have spent 2 weeks trying to get a hotel for last week of October. Halloween and the New York Marathon must be driving the prices up. I went up to $140 for LM, MTS, and MTE...still no response.

Wound up going to hotelkingdom.com and got the Avalon, Jr. Suite for $168 with breakfast because I was afraid of not getting anything.

This is the first time I haven't been successful with Priceline. We're coming in from Switzerland and have the air tickets already...gotta have a place to stay, too.
Old Sep 11th, 2003, 11:40 AM

We are also planning a trip to NYC in mid October (16-19). We have never used Priceline so we filled out the questionnaire on biddingfortravel.com. We bid on 4* hotels in the same area you are interested in. They suggested we start at $150 and we were rejected. It was suggested we increase the bid to $165 - again rejected. We tried again 3 days later with no luck. We are currently booked at the Westin Times Square. The Starwood Hotels have a 3 nights for the price of 2 special so we are paying $199 a night at the Westin. Let us know if you have any luck.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 10:09 AM

Try the Sofitel (4 star)for $179 in October.
Old Sep 13th, 2003, 07:39 PM

Cerlaurie, try bidding closer to the date of your trip. You could then cancel your Westin reservation. You may be bidding too far in advance to get a great deal.
Old Sep 14th, 2003, 07:40 PM

Hilda, if you need bidding advice etc. another place (in addition to there and biddingfortravel.com) is betterbidding.com it is a nice FRIENDLY & COURTEOUS forum to ask questions and do some research. Good luck with your bids - I will be trying soon for early November!
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 07:16 AM

Thanks, Betsy. We will try again.
Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:08 AM

What if we want to stay south of Midtown South but north of downtown on Priceline (soho, village, etc)?

Are we out of luck?

Old Sep 15th, 2003, 10:44 AM

Appaerntly you are. The Princeline map showing its zones in Manhattan has a huge gap south of 23rd St.