Search

Price Line Expert Needed!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price Line Expert Needed!

I have been to Bidding For Travel and
didn't find the information I needed regarding Priceline, so I am asking fellow Fodorites for advice....
I have previously sucessfully bid on the Hilton Waikaloa on the B.I. Now, my friend is trying at the same hotel in January, for only 2 nights, during the week, at the price that most people pay per night at the Hilton. It is getting rejected. I wondered if January is too busy of a time, and they aren't letting rooms go on Priceline? Any thoughts or experts out there?
Thanks!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 10:54 AM

I don't know specifically about when they release rooms but January is the high season in Hawaii. We booked our rooms in Kauai two months ago for January 2004!!
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 11:01 AM

I'm no expert, but possibilities are:
1. they haven't released Jan rooms yet (has anyone else posted a winning bid for Jan there on biddingfortravel?)

2. the problem is just 2 days-maybe they'd rather fill the room for a week

3. 2 days would be ok but not in the middle of the week.

I'd examine what other people have gotten at that time (if anything) & for how many days & when in the week.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 11:28 AM

I am a little concerned about your friend trying to get "the same hotel" - I hope your friend realizes that there is no guarantee one will get the hotel they want. Biddingfortravel lists are representations of past successful bids that have been reported to BFT - there could be others not on the list. People can play games with zones/star ratings and improve their chances of getting specific hotel, but still no guarantee.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 12:56 PM

It's probably too early to be bidding, since Priceline rooms are usually leftovers. As gail mentioned, you cannot know in advance which hotel you will win.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Priceline sometimes gets only a certain amount of inventory at a time. They may have sold all their inventory for the Hilton for those dates and may get more rooms closer to check-in. But PL may also get other rooms at other hotels in the same zone and quality level.

For example, according to BFT, Priceline has also sold rooms at the Hapuna Beach Prince Hotel resort in the same zone as the Hilton. There's nothing saying your friends won't get that and not the Hilton - or they could get some other resort that has never come up before. Just make sure they know the risks.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 02:06 PM

I think maybe it could have something to do with the days your friend selected. If they could be a little flexible and try maybe a day or so before or perhaps after the specific days they have already tried. It is possible that a convention or a large group has booked the time solid as well. Kick it up by 10 bucks and see what happens.
Old Aug 29th, 2003, 02:46 PM

I too am looking for three nights on the BI in January, Sun-Tues nights, and not having luck on Priceline; however, am leery of getting the Hilton Waikoloa and have been watching Hotwire. They have the 5-star Hapuna Prince coming in (have figured it out from info on betterbidding.com) from anywhere between $170-$200/night (you can get it for $199 on the hotel website, so not a great deal, yet) and a 4.5 star "RESORT" coming in for about $150/night. I'd love to figure out what the 4.5 star resort is, because I'd go for it at that price. I have used both Hotwire and PL and actually find the room quality to be better with Hotwire rooms, even if a bit more money. And I do like knowing the amenities ahead of time.

Betterbidding.com has some postings, but not nearly as extensive as BFT, unfortunately.

Anyone have any idea what the 4.5 star resort is (oceanfront, etc. in Kohala area) that Hotwire is selling? I am so tempted to bite at $150/night for that area for 3 nights!
Old Aug 30th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Perhaps the Marriott? I wouldn't think it would be a 5*.

My friend knows there is a possibility they would get a different resort. She is ok with that. It's only two nights and they just wanted to get a feel for the 'resort' area of the BI.

thanks for all the great advice. I use the Bidding for Travel website all the time. It is great!