Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Prettiest resort grounds in Islamorada or upper keys?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:05 AM
x

Anyone? And I can't seem to find out too much about the Moorings. Help?

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 02:29 PM
fuinta

The Moorings Resort in Islamorada is beautiful and has its own private beach with tropical setings and some what secluded. A large pool in background of the cottages. They also have private houses on the resort. If planning to go in the prime season expect to budget about $4,000 or in the off season about $3,200. The beach is always clean and very romantic. Plenty of restaurants near by and within walking distance. The Worldwide Sportmans store also close by. The resort also charges you a resort fee of $10/day. You won't go wrong.

Old Jan 12th, 2003, 12:30 PM
agbuyer

The Moorings is next door to Cheeca Lodge and has (or at last had, last year) access to the Cheeca pool, spa, etc. I was staying at Cheeca but went next door to check out Moorings. Lovely!

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 10:45 AM
Diane

Yes, The Moorings! Right next door to Cheeca, but like being in another (much more wonderful) world. We stayed in the Treehouse, one of the older units, for $250/night. The smallest of the new one-bedroom cottages go for $475 in high season. They are absolutely gorgeous, though, if you're feeling flush.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:03 PM
!!!

Though a regular poster, I'll remain an !!! for this post. According to a recent NY Times article, we qualify as one of the "super rich". Income of $150,499. (Ha, it doesn't feel super rich and I'd beg to differ with them!) I would absolutely choke on paying $475 a night for that cottage. I'd feel like I could never come out of my room, would have to stay inside and get our money's worth! It's not like we've got big debt that eats up our the income, we have no debt at all. I STILL could not bring myself to pay that. Is it really worth it to anyone?? If you go to Islamorada, what percentage of your time is spent inside? I know this has been debated before, but having just read the Times article, then seeing these figures I have to wonder who on earth stays there...and would I enjoy even being in the same resort with them? Are cell phones blaring around the pool? Has everyone got an air of pretentious urgency or they laid back and cool?

Actually...I think the fault is with the Times cut-off income. Ours is only one earner, but there could easily be two 75,000 earners in a family--hardly super rich. Please don't slam me. I am really aghast at anyone paying those rates/night--and we can afford it! Just doesn't make any sense to me to do so.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Jackie

! interesting comment. Is it because people work and scrimp and blow it all on one ultra deluxe week? I would rather take a couple of weeks, or some mini-vacations ie long weekends than blow the whole wad on one week of ultra deluxe.

To further answer your question x-The Pine and Palms which is a small, oceanfront, family owned facility in Islamorada has very nice grounds if you aren't into paying the big bucks for Cheeca or the Moorings.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 12:21 PM
sss

!!!, I agree with you on that. We also are in that so called super rich bracket and would find it hard pressed to spend that kind of money for a room you would only sleep in. I would rather travel more with the money. I checked into the Moorings and Cheeka but decided on the Chesapeke Resort for next month. Just was not worth the extra 250.00 per night.

Old Jan 17th, 2003, 01:08 PM
x

It's probably the poor slobs who make less than $40k and want to act like they are rich...