Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Preservation Hall & Sunday Jazz Brunch Suggestions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone visiting the french quarter recently been to Preservation Hall? How was your experience? We have plans (2 couples) to visit the weekend of 9/23. I've seen long waits in past visits prior to Katrina, queuing up @ least an hour prior to show. Our flight arrives on Sat 9/23 @ 4:40pm, we're staying @ the Hotel Monteleone & are hoping to grab a quick bite to eat prior to the 8pm show. I was told by the hotel that their Aft Deck Oyster Bar is & will be closed for remodeling. I was also thinking of our going to Muriel's or Commander's Palace for a Sunday jazz brunch? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Spike Lee's loving & powerful portait of the aftermath was so moving. We had plans to visit last Oct '05. I feel if this city has a place in your heart as it captured mine about 15 yrs ago. It's important plan another visit.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 11:34 AM
Dan

Commander's Palace won't reopen until October.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 12:30 PM

I have heard but can't speak from personal experience that the House of Blues has an incredible Sunday "gospel" Brunch. We were notin New Orleans on a Sunday, but when we go back I definately want to go there.
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 02:30 PM

amelie,

A few weeks ago, we had a really(really!) good Sunday brunch at Ralph's on the Park.

Several of us had the Crystal Orsters followed by "Debris and Poached Eggs".

I had the oysters and BBQ shrimp and grits. Everything was wonderful, including the Bloody Marys.

Check out the menu at www. ralphsonthepark.com.

Byrd
Old Aug 26th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Byrd -
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a restaurant I'd like to try. Which room did you sit in?
Amelie
Old Aug 27th, 2006, 04:11 AM

Amelie,

We were in the room on the right as you enter the restaurant. There were six of us, and we had a big round table in the corner overlooking the park.

One of our group had Ralph's recommended to her by a New Orleans resident she met at a business conference.

Actually, we went to Ralph's planning to have very light brunches, since we had all seriously overeaten all weekend--Galatoire's and NOLA.

The aroma, the atmosphere, and the first Bloody Mary changed our minds; however, good sense prevailed enough to keep us from sampling dessert!

Next time, we'll plan ahead for them.

Have a wonderful trip!

Byrd

Old Aug 27th, 2006, 03:05 PM
Original Poster

Byrd,

Thanks for your reply. I really enjoy being taken with a restaurant & the company you chose to enjoy it with. It's part of why we travel. You've heightened my expectations.

Amelie
Old Aug 28th, 2006, 03:42 PM

I walked by Preservation Hall Saturday night. The doors were open and several people were dancing in the street as they went by.
You are coming on a very busy weekend considering the Grand Reopening of the Superdome is 9/25. The Saints play Atlanta and those fans love to drive over. Get there early just in case.

Old Aug 28th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Mmmmmm - Ralph's looks really good. We are planning a trip next year, so I am collecting suggestions