pre-theater dinner timing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've researched the restaurant posts on this thread, so the places we'd like to eat are nowhere near the theater district. If we eat LES, SOHO, maybe even Brooklyn - can we still get by with a 6:00 reservation on a weekend to make an 8:00 show? Or do we need to move it to 5:00?

Seems like I'm 'eating' in to my afternoon, adding so much travel time, if we do that. We're staying near theater district.

thanks
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:00 PM

It really isn't practical, nor advisable, to eat that far away from the theater. But, if you must, you better make the reservation for no later than 5:30, perhaps even 5.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:17 PM
esg

been there. Can only speak from my experience. Stress of timing and travel will probably outweigh the benefit of better restaurant. I'd stay walking distance.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:56 PM

I'm with the others. If you're planning on pre-theater dinner, a restaurant within a reasonable walk to your theater is best, along with the earliest dinner seating possible.

Keep in mind that you'll want to be at the theater about 30 minutes before showtime to use the restrooms and get to your seats.

Taxis are often difficult or impossible to find weekend nights at dinner/showtime, especially if it's raining.

In the alternative, you could plan to dine at 5 beyond the theater district, if you can get yourselves to the theater via subway. You'd want to plan your subway route carefully, so as not to go the wrong direction, inadvertently take an express train that doesn't make all the stops, or take a line that doesn't stop where you think it stops (those subway maps can be tricky).

Note that pre-theater dining can be stressful and hectic. Popular restaurants are typically chock full weekend nights, and most theater goers are seated at the same time, making it more difficult for the waitstaff and kitchen to provide efficient service and "pace" the meal properly. You don't want to be tapping your foot or drumming your fingers anxious for your order to be taken, your entree to arrive, and so forth. And, you don't want to rush through a nice dinner or go nuts trying to pay your check and get out of there!

My recommendation would be to have a nice brunch/lunch LES, SoHo, or even Brooklyn, then grab something after the theater. That way, you won't be "eating" into your valuable afternoon time.

In my experience, trying to have a nice dinner ahead of a Broadway show is a formidable challenge.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:50 AM

I agree, as well. Eat closer to the theatre and save that special dinner elsewhere for anothern night.

Another option (which we always prefer) is to have a late lunch somewhere (say at 4ish), then have a nice dinner AFTER the theatre. That way, you can eat where you want and not be so rushed.