Pre-cruise hotels in San Diego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking a cruise in March which will leave from San Diego and we plan to spend 3 nights prior to the cruise in San Diego. This will be the first time we have been to San Diego and we are unsure of the best place to stay so I thought I would ask for your suggestions. We would like to see the sights such as the zoo, Balboa Park, etc. If we could do these things without renting a car that would be great, but we don't know if this is possible. We usually prefer 4-star hotels and usually try to book through Priceline. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 4-star property, but that usually feels safer to me when we use Priceline. Would we be too far away in Coronado or La Jolla or is there public transportation available from those areas? Or possibly hotel shuttles? Would we be better to stay in the downtown area? What type of weather can we expect at the end of March? If anyone could make any suggestions on hotels, nice restaurants and also things to see or do it would be appreciated greatly. Thank you!
Old Jul 4th, 2009, 10:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you stay downtown you're a lot closer to the cruise terminal. How important is that for the day you depart on your cruise? You're also closer to Balboa Park and the Zoo downtown, but everything else is spread out and so the location of your hotel doesn't matter a lot.

It's much easier to see our sights with a car. Public transportation, which has just had routes cut, is possible, but involves a lot of time, and possible longish walks. A car is much simpler. I have no idea if hotels offer shuttles to the Zoo, etc. I would think not.

The weather at the end of March is anyone's guess. There's talk of an El Nino forming, so we could have a wet winter, but who knows now? Layers are, of course, the answer!
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

It would probably be helpful to be close to the cruise terminal, so downtown might be the best place for us to stay. Would the Zoo and Balboa Park be walkable from downtown or would we need a car for those areas too? Are there any particular hotels downtown that you would recommend?

Thanks so much for your help, Barbara.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 05:12 PM

We stayed near Balboa Park, and took the bus to/from DT.
Old Jul 5th, 2009, 05:21 PM

I think you can take a bus to Balboa Park from downtown. It's not that far. Also, there is a ferry that can take you Coronado.

Try this site to find a bus schedule: www.sdcommute.com
Old Jul 6th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you abram and LSky for your information. The bus schedule was helpful.

Any other thoughts on hotels or restaurants? We have read some of the other recent San Diego posts and have some ideas from those.

Thanks to all of you. The help we receive here is always wonderful.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 02:40 PM

I would stay in the gaslamp area of downtown.

What is your price range?

I have stayed at:

Hyatt downtown (great property) - go to the roof top bar amazing view
Marriott on the Harbor (great)
Marriott by the ballpark (loved as well -hip, funky, smaller property - go to the rooftop bar)
US Grant(just there last weekend - loved it as well - some of the best service - great up-to-date rooms)
Westin (okay - good if staying on points)

I have taken the train from Orange County and then the bus from the train station to the zoo/balboa park.

If you do not want to rent a car and pay for that as well as the valet fees - you are fine if you fill your time with just staying down-town (which has plenty to do for 3 nights).

If you want to go to La Jolla you will need a car... (or price out a cab cost vs. the cost of the car and parking etc)

Balboa Park is Lovely as is the Zoo.

Lunch at George's terrace is a must if the weather is okay... (varies in March).

Enjoy!