Possible Move to Baltimore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! Husband and I may be moving this summer, and Baltimore(Johns Hopkins) is one of our options. Can you direct me to some good sites to visit for research? And what is your honest opinion of living there? Obviously, we're used to a lower cost of living in TX, so that will be a big deciding factor. We have two dogs, and would really like a house, but I think it might be too expensive. Also, what's the "culture" like, in terms of restaurants, theatre, etc.?

Any advice/information is very welcome! Thank you in advance!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 04:26 AM

Topping...

Hi TexasGirl, hope you don't mind. We live in San Antonio and DH has been offered a job at Johns Hopkins so I, too, would be interested in what posters have to say. We actually moved here from the Baltimore area...but that was 18+ years ago.

Best wishes to you!
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:15 AM

In my humble opinion, Hopkins is the greatest hospital on Earth. However, my oldest son has undergone four open-heart surgeries there so I'm a little biased.

Johns Hopkins is like a little city in itself and, next to the government of the city of Baltimore, is probably the biggest employer in the area. It is located in a terrible, crime-ridden neighborhood so the hospital has its own large security force. A warning- the food in the Hopkins cafeteria is the worst I've ever eaten and there is little decent to eat out nearby.

Baltimore city neighborhoods you might consider are Federal Hill, Fells Point and Canton but all three are rather expensive. Ethnic Highlandtown is declining and West Baltimore, nicknamed the Wild West, lives up to its monicker. For more reasonable house pricing I would suggest living in the Annapolis area which can be a quick commute to Baltimore via Route 97. Formerly rural Howard, Harford and Carroll counties have become the suburbanites abodes of choice in the Baltimore area.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:24 AM

Johns Hopkins Hospital is in a HORRID Baltimore neighborhood. Just don't get shot at going to work, sweetie.

Nice neighbourhoods: Federal Hill, Mount Washington, Fells Point. The neighborhood around Johns Hopkins University is also nice. Towson is nice. Pikesville is nice. Perry Hall is nice.

Parkville is dreadful.

Stay away from South Baltimore, as there are some dicey neighborhoods there.

I don't like Baltimore; I lived there for one year after I graduated from Dartmouth.

Thingorjus
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:33 AM
LHG

If you decide to look around Annapolis, consider Severna Park. I lived there years ago in a community called Round Bay. It was a great place for families with water access and a walking trail close by.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 05:36 AM

Annapolis is an absurd choice for anyone doing their residency or post-doc work. With the horribile hours, treking all the way to Annapolis is unrealistic.

There are plenty of neighborhoods--that have already been mentioned--to live close to Hopkins and still be safe and have a much better of life than commuting back and forth to Annapolis, which is basically just a suburb.
Old Dec 5th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Johns Hopkins Hospital or University? From your post re New Haven I am guessing the University. It also is not in very livable area. With dogs and preferring a house I would look outside of the city to communities like Columbia or Ellicot City Maryland. Columbia is a planned community with lots of green space, great shopping and restaurants, recreation and excellent schools. The commute to inner Baltimore would be about 1/2 hour depending on start/end points. There is public transportation between downtown Baltimore and Columbia and also from Columbia/Ellicott to D.C. Housing prices in Columbia and Ellicott City are about the same but there is a Columbia tax-like assessment that adds to the bill there. Ellicott City has a quaint "downtown" area. Columbia and Ellicott City are adjacent to eachother. Both are convenient not only to Baltimore, but to Washington, D.C. as well. The convenience to D.C. is IMO an advantage that they have over communities to the north or west of Baltimore.

Annapolis and Severna Park are both really nice but the commute would be much longer and the housing prices tend to be higher, particularly in Annapolis.

Old Dec 5th, 2007, 10:46 AM

I moved to Baltimore about 6 years ago. It took me awhile to figure out this town.

I really like living here. If you have the money the place to be is in walking distance to the Inner Harbor. I personally think Federal Hill or Otterbein is the nicest. There's a new developed part of town to check out - Harbor East. Canton and Fells Point is more the younger crowd - and you wont probably won't want to walk to the Stadiums/Inner Harbor area.

If you don't exactly want the city life try the Homewood or Roland Park area. Really outside the city, but much cheaper is Towson or Timonium.

I think there are really good restaurants here....

Charleston, Pazo, Bicycle, Jack's Bistro, Nasu Blanca, Sotto Sopra. All very, very good.

As far as culture -

The Hippodrome has all the traveling Broadway shows. Centerstage.org is a smaller, more intimate venue for shows.

As far as museums....The Baltimore Museum of Art is on the small side, but worth seeing. The Walters is excellent and a wonderful place. Another great one is the American Visionary Museum - definately one of a kind.

The Charles Theatre is a great place to see independent movies. The neighborhood isn't that great, but around movie times, the area is packed and pretty safe.

We stay pretty busy and don't have a problem finding things to do. Another great benefit to the area is how close you are to some pretty large cities. Washington DC is a nice, easy day trip - so you can pop down anytime for all DC has to offer. New York is a 3-4 hour drive. Philly is about an 1.5 hour drive.....

Baltimore is very quirky and takes a little getting used to - but I really have a good time here.