Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Positive experience w/Avis at PHX (and other trip highlights)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 03:56 PM
karen

Before my recent trip there were a number of posters asking about car rental agencies at Sky Harbor airport in Phoenix. Well, we just got back and our rental car experience was a great one this time. The Avis counter was right near the baggage carousels and the cars were right outside the door - no shuttles or anything (this is at Terminal 2 - United, US Airways...). My husband opted for the empty tank option and they quoted us $1.23/gal for the 13 or 14 gallons; driving around, we noticed this price was actually less than what we were seeing at most gas stations. We had a weekly rate but actually left Phx about 12 hours short of a week and so they prorated our rate. All in all, a wonderful rental car situation. And quick in, quick out!

Other notes of interest, had a few really good meals: Cactus Moon (I think it's on Greenway) and really good sushi at Hang On Sushi at Hayden at Frank Lloyd Wright (I think this was considered Scottsdale).

The Phoenix art museum has an exhibit running through June of Dale Chihuly's glass sculptures. Some of his big pieces are there and there's a neat film as well. Really quite impressive.

Don't want to run on about the rest of the trip, however, please feel free to post back with any questions. We were there with a 5 and 7 year old so a lot of our activities were kid friendly.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:34 PM
Pad That Bill

Karen:
The "empty tank option" borders on being a scam.
It's a no lose situation for the car company and almost always a no win situation for the customer.
The only way you can make it pay off is to come back with so little gas in the tank that you have to plan your trip around trying to run out of gas.
It's very hard to plan your driving so that you always end your trip on empty.
And any gas you leave in the tank is gas that YOU paid for though the company sells it to the next renter.

Even if you return on "E" every once in awhile, you barely "break even" on those trips, and on all the others you are gifting a bunch of gas to the company.

ALWAYS opt for the fill it yourself option unless someone else is paying the bill.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:37 PM
xxx

But if the gas price the car rental company charges is cheaper than the rate at the gas stations, isn't that still a good deal?

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:50 PM
Pad the Bill

Usually not.
The only way the empty tank option is a good deal is the following:

Say gas is $2.00 a gallon at the station.
Car rental company is giving you this great deal of $1.85 a gallon.
The car has a 20 gallon tank.

You pay 20 X $1.85 in advance to fill the tank = $35.00
If you could return the car on "E" you
would save 20 X $0.15 = $3.00

If you return the car with exactly 1.62 gallons of gas left, you just gave the car company $3.00 worth of gas, so filling the tank on your own (NOT taking the "empty tank option") would have cost the SAME as taking the empty tank option.
So: if you ever return the tank with more than 1.62 gallons of gas (with numbers like the above) you are wasting your money by taking the empty tank option.

As the price of gas falls and as the difference between gas price at the station and the agency's "special deal price" get lower, you save even less if you're able to return the car on "E".

Sorry to drone on, but I'm amazed at how many people fall for this scheme.
Angers me because the agencies are practically scamming consumers on this one.

Old Apr 1st, 2002, 04:54 PM
Bill

oops, that's $37 for the tank up front, but no change in the rest....

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:12 AM
fran

Some of us prefer the convenience of not having to stop and fill the tank on our way to the car rental return. So maybe we pay a couple of dollars more. That won't make or break the bank.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:32 AM
karen

Having read a bunch of posts like the one from pad, I also wasn't planning on doing the empty tank thing. However, the rate did work out cheaply, we left less than 1/4 tank and since we had an early morning flight home with 2 kids, it was worth the extra couple of bucks for the convenience. And with the extra $15 off coupon I had, it was all a wash and our mid-size rental car ended up costing us under $200 for the week (everything included...). I can't imagine anyone beating that one during spring break!