Search

Portland via Mt. Hood?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland via Mt. Hood?

Need your guidance again, Fodorites!

We’re taking the Amtrak from Oakland, CA to Portland. Have never been to Portland but as long as we’re up there, would like to break it up and explore the surrounding area. Thinking about renting a car the first day and driving an hour or two outside of Portland [Columbia Gorge, Mt. Hood?], spend three nights there. Then return car to Portland and stay in the Northwest District for the remaining 4 nights, seeing everything via walking or public transportation.

Any other suggestions for side trips, other than Mt. Hood? Also, how long should we allow to visit Portland and/or our side trip? Maybe we only need 3 nights in Portland and 4 nights somewhere else. Don’t want to drive too far out of Portland [two to three hours, top]. We’re an active 57 year old couple who enjoy the beauty of nature and love to hike, bicycle, museums, area history, ethnic restaurants, breweries, etc.

Our dates are tentatively set for the week of July 19 but we’re flexible. Is July a good time of year or should we consider August/September?

Thank you!
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:55 AM

First of all, either set of dates would work well. September is usually a bit nicer than July here, and there are fewer crowds since schools are back in session.

Mt. Hood and the Gorge are beautiful areas and have great hiking. Most people just take a day and do a sort of driveby to see a couple highlights. Since you like to hike though, I would give it two nights.

Take the other 2 nights and head over to the coast. Cannon Beach is my favorite place that is fairly close to Portland, only about 90 minutes from downtown. Ecola State Park is on the north edge of Cannon Beach and is very scenic and there are a few hiking trails there.

The NW area of Portland is a great area to stay. Lots of shops, restaurants, an urban winery (Grochau Cellars), close to Forest Park (more hiking trails), the zoo, and the Japanese Gardens.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:18 AM

I agree with mms about Cannon Beach.

If you decide to spend a night or two in the Columbia River Gorge, I suggest the delightful town of Hood River.

We have three favorite drives using Hood River as a base.

1) Timberline Lodge, on Mt. Hood.

2) The "Fruit Loop," about which details are easily available.

3) The other is to drive east on I-84 to Biggs Junction, cross the Columbia River to Maryhill, and to then return to Hood River vial WA-14. There is a museum and winery in Maryhill, and the views on the drive west are especially spectacular.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:34 PM

Eagle Creek Trail is a super nice trail. It is a few minutes from Multnomah Falls in the CRG. You pass 6 or 7 really nice waterfalls. The final waterfall is Tunnel Falls and you actually pass behind it. Mt St. Helens is another option for a daytrip from Portland.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:45 PM

you would love Silver Falls State Park for a day trip/hike- 10 waterfalls in a 7 miles hike
It is east of Salem - one of my favorite spots to hike
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

happytrailstoyou: where did you stay in Hood River? I found mthoodrentals.com site and am looking at a house on the Salmon River, near Wildwood Park. Is that a good location? [we prefer to stay at cottages/cabins instead of resorts/motels.]

spirobulldog and sunbum: thank you for the hiking tips; appreciate it!
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM

We like cabins, too, when they are well situated and we have a good idea of what we are buying into. I don't know anything about Wildwood.

We stay at the Best Western Hood River in a room with a balcony right on the river--breakfast included.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

happytrails: just called mthoodrentals and they require a 4 night minimum; don't think we want to do that. So I'll now check out the Best Western. You were pleased with their accommmodations?
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 04:43 PM

Yes, but only the rooms with balconies on the river. On the Best Western web site, scroll down to make sure to see all the room types.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Why not stay at Timberline Lodge?
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 08:36 AM

I like Timberline, but most likely they are already full for well into September at this point.

A small place to check out is Bridal Veil Lodge. Triple Falls is a nice hike in the gorge, and at the top is a nice spot to eat your lunch.

Sunbum mentioned a beautiful place with a great hike, Silver Falls.
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Timberline and Bridal Veil look lovely but we prefer to rent a cabin/cottage with full kitchen. Last week, I found out there's a 4-day minimum on the cabins so thought I didn't want to do that but now we're back to renting a cabin for 4 days in Mt. Hood and a 'room only' for 3 days in Northwest Portland.

Anyone ever stay at the Kennedy School? Looks pretty cool.

Thank you!
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 01:48 PM

I have stayed at the Kennedy School and loved it! The McMenamin properties are a lot of fun and so unique. We had a sorority reunion at KS and they did a great job with it.