Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Portland to Wineries to Coast, What's possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using Portland as a base and want to spend a day and a half in both Wine Co and @ the Coast. 1st day all wineries, second day wineries and head to the coast to stay the night and explore the next day.
Is there any reason to work my down to Salem? (I'm using Portland as a base and considering Salem because I'm using Marriott points for hotels).

Would I be better off returning to Portland the 1st night (and return to Wine Co. the next day?)

I've seen posts recommending wineries around 1) Carlton & 2)Newberg/Dundee. If I did that over two days then what would be the best route to the coast?
Thanks!
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Where on the coast?
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

As far as where on the coast, I thought we'd stay to the north because we don't have that much time.
I thought Tillamook and to the north and loop back to Portland on Rt 26 or any other suggested route.
Does that seem reasonable?

Any somewhat reasonably priced accomodations in that area of the coast?
Old Aug 26th, 2008, 12:10 PM

Yeah, I think your plan makes sense, with one hitch. Wineries generally don't open until 11:00am, so you'll not have much time on the coast that 2nd day. And since you're planning to stay on the north coast, best to nix Salem as a possible overnight; more options for dining and other activities in Portland.

It's popular, which means the small downtown is often crowded, but I still think Cannon Beach is your best bet for the coast. Problem might be that, depending on when you're doing this, many hotels/motels there (and in Seaside) have minimum stay requirements. Assuming it's not an issue for you, I'd recommend Cannon Beach Hotel - http://www.cannonbeachhotel.com/ - as "reasonably priced" accommodations. Nice little europeanish, boutiquish place. If you're wanting beachfront, Lands End or Schooner's Cove are relatively reasonable. That all said, you wouldn't regret a splurge at either Ocean Lodge or Stephanie Inn.

Best route from wine country to Cannon Beach is north on hwy 47 to hwy 26, then west. If you want to do the north part of Three Capes Scenic Loop (which is outside of Tillamook), I'd save that for the day you return to Portland, taking hwy 6 from Tillamook.

That make sense?

Old Aug 26th, 2008, 04:37 PM

There is also the Ecola Creek Lodge, Land's End, Waves Motel and Schooner's Cove for places in Cannon Beach. If these don't work out, check out the Holiday Inn Express in nearby (10 minutes) Seaside. The Seaside Inn is also a great place, located right on the prom and they now have a great restaurant where we have enjoyed a couple of great dinners and a lunch the past couple of months.

I hope you have a great trip! ***kim***