Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Portland's 5th Ave Suites to become Hotel Monaco Portland!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I checked into the 5th Ave Suites yesterday. The hotel is as wonderful as ever. I've got an 8th floor corner room..Big windows on two sides, as well as big window in the huge bathroom. wonderful room service lunch from the Red Star Tavern. Missed the wine tasting, and happy to see the notice in the room that the front desk would be happy to print advance boarding passes for guests flying out from Portland.

Also had a notice (in the elevator and on our desk) that the hotel will be undergoing a major "revitalization". New Name, all new redecorating of the rooms and common areas. They say the hotel will remain open and the the work will be done to minimize guest inconvenience, and will be completed by February 2007.

It says the staff and management will not change, but doesn't mention ownership.

Still my favorite hotel. Just hope it won't be sold.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM

Welcome to sunny Portland, lcuy, and thanks for the heads up on 5th Ave. Suites. They can't be doing too much, if it's only gonna take a couple months.

Any big plans for the weekend? Report back if you find any hidden gem restaurants.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:38 AM

That makes a lot of sense. Hotel Monaco is a better known brand and the rooms are in need of redecoration.
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:39 AM

Hotel Monaco is a Kimpton brand, so it's not surprising that Kimpton would change their 5th Avenue Suites into a Hotel Monaco. I'd heard about this change a few months ago.

Andrew
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:53 AM

Hey Lcuy!!! You are here!!! Call me!
Good room, glad to hear that..anything you need there, go to Meagan.
Our old concierge works for them now, she was telling me the Monaco decorating plans a few months ago, sounds like it is mostly cheerful colors and new carpets etc. It is still Kimpton, just a different style.
Can't wait to see you, Pup is at the groomers right now ((&))
Old Nov 23rd, 2006, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

We were just in Portland on the 21/and mornign of 22nd. Had dinner with my niece, slept one warm and coxy nigt at 5th AVe, then had early lunch at Elliot Street Bistro before racing out to the airport in the ugly rain!

We just finished our Thanksgiving dinner at my sister's home in Boise Idaho. Its chilly, but clear. We'll be here till Sunday, then back to Portland. I'll be hanging out till Friday when my daighter gets her wisdom teeth out and I'll be nurturing mom rather than visiting mom for a few days. Anyone want to GTG Monday-Thursday- 27th-30th?? Scarlett, I'll call you when I'm there!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!! We had a lovely meal in my Sis's new home on the river with dogs running around, everyone helped with cooking and cleaning, we drank wine from my parents' wine glasses...brought back many happy memeories of earlier Thanksgivings.

Now someone wants to head out for a walk, but I think a nap sounds good, and the men seem to be enjoying a football game on TV.

So thankful for family, friends, and Fodorites!
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Lucy--I would love to meet you Be careful driving back here (assumming you are driving) as they are calling for possible snow Sunday night into Monday. Glad the trip is going well so far.