Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Portland Oregon hotel for a couple of nights in June

Any recommendations of areas of Portland it would be good to be central to--
What are some good sights to see
Restaurant suggestions for people who really enjoy good food
Thanks!!
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 10:15 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
There are several interesting McMenamins hotels around Portland.
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 04:33 PM

Hi Gretchen,

I’ve stayed in the Alphabet District (Nob Hill) in Portland. It’s a leafy green area with some charming architecture, and several streets with independent restaurants and cafes. I was able to walk or take the streetcar to both the Pearl District & downtown from there, to Portland’s famous food trucks, the Portland Art Museum and the Willamette riverfront. Also walkable from there in another direction was the International Rose Test Garden and the Japanese Garden, probably my two favourite sites within Portland itself.

I must confess though my favourite thing about Portland is its proximity (within 1/2 hour drive if my memory serves) to the stunning Columbia River Gorge, especially the Portland Women’s Forum Scenic State Lookout and the Multnomah & Latourell Falls. As one in eastern North America, I just love the vastly different Pacific Northwest vegetation. I did a Gray Line tour out there and it stands out to this day as the best bus tour out of a city I’ve done in the US—despite and maybe because of raincoats being required that day. I have read a bit about advanced timed entry into the Gorge area in recent years if you drive out there, so might require a bit of planning (not sure on this?), but definitely worthwhile.

Wishing you a lovely trip,

Daniel
Old Mar 24th, 2023, 04:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are flying into PDX, the TriMet red line (light rail) is right outside baggage claim. There are several airport area hotels that will pick you up from the airport if you don't want to rent a car. Downtown car rentals are cheaper than at the airport for trips outside Portland. If it rains while you are there, check out Powell's World of Books. Other things to see in the city are the zoo and the International Rose Test Gardens.
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much!!
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 09:09 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We liked our stay at the Silver Cloud hotel: https://www.silvercloud.com/portland/
Old Mar 25th, 2023, 01:47 PM

Check out Travel Oregon website. Many lodging options. The Inn at Northrup Station is a good location. Its a boutique hotel- kind of funky. Free parking. Walking distance to restaurants. My DD and SIL ate at a Moroccan restaurant close by recently and really enjoyed.
Old Mar 27th, 2023, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by sunbum1944
Check out Travel Oregon website. Many lodging options. The Inn at Northrup Station is a good location. Its a boutique hotel- kind of funky. Free parking. Walking distance to restaurants. My DD and SIL ate at a Moroccan restaurant close by recently and really enjoyed.
We've stayed there twice in the last couple of years. Love the location. Nice neighborhood, with good restaurants nearby, and we've been able to walk to various sites. There's also a streetcar that runs right by it.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

It looks really cute. Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2023, 08:59 AM

Hi Gretchen,

Of note, the Inn at Northrup ms_go mentioned is in the Alphabet District I suggested, so named as the streets are in alphabetical order. It appears we both liked the area. I stayed 8 (FGHIJKLMN) not-long blocks away on Flanders street and Northrup is more convenient for the streetcar.

Have a great trip whatever you decide!

Daniel