Portland Nightlife

Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:33 AM
Jason

Portland Nightlife

I am traveling to Portland next week and I need a little help proving to a friend of mine that Portland has an exciting and friendly nightlife. He is very biased to Detroit--since he is from that area, and thinks Portland would not be a fun place. I personally do not enjoy Detroit. I've already told him about the great public transportation Portland offers, which is ideal for bar-hopping. I would also assume that the women in Portland have healthier lifestyles than Detroiters. I want to prove him wrong.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 07:35 AM
Wendy

Are you referring to Portland OR?

If so I like the SauceBox for loungy atmoshere.

Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:38 PM
Andrew

I live in Portland, but I'm not really into the Nightlife here. When you get here, pick up a Willamette Week or Portland Mercury to see what's happening. (Both of those free newspapers have web sites but the ads for weekend happenings are the most interesting).

Try posting on the forums on http://portland.craigslist.org to get more response about Portland specifically. Or try http://groups.google.com and look up the pdx.general newsgroup plus search for "nightlife" or "bars". Some discussions archived there for sure.

As for the "women having healthier lifestyles" here, I'm not sure what you mean. You might find a higher percentage of vegetarians and bike riders here (men and women) than in Detroit, but you'll find just as many who live just like women everywhere else. There's a definite "grunge" element here - lots of women with piercings and tattoos in Portland.
There are a lot of smokers in Portland, too, and it is sometimes considered the "heroin captial of the west" because heroin is fairly popular (relatively speaking) here. However, it's still a safe, wonderful place to live compared to most other places I've visited in the US.

Andrew

Oct 3rd, 2002, 03:49 PM
Andrew

I forgot: if you like blues, do check out the Candlelight Room on SW 5th and Lincoln (south part of downtown). It's a tiny, smokey bar that fills up quickly on the weekends, but there's no cover and they usually have a good blues band playing. Kind of a dive, but also kind of an experience if you know what I mean...

Andrew

Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:29 PM
sn

I live in Philly and have been to Portland visiting friends several times. My favorite places are the Space Room which makes killer cocktails that will make you see through time, and the Laurelthirst, a funky hovel in a groovy hood for great live music and killer ales. Don't miss dinner at the Bijou Cafe for oyster shooters and Ranier beer.

Oct 4th, 2002, 08:51 AM
Sara

I have found the Portland City Search site to be very helpful choosing places to eat and different things to do. Can't give exact advice about nightlife - sorry.

I don't know why women would have healthier lifestyles in Portland than anywhere else. As mentioned before Portlanders make an effort to be "green" and do ride bikes and walk if possible. However, I disagree that there are lots of smokers. I believe Oregon has far fewer smokers than many other parts of the country.

I hope both you and your friend enjoy Portland, it is a pretty city with some fun things to do.