Portland Maine for weekend - suggestions

Oct 1st, 2007, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Portland Maine for weekend - suggestions

Seventeen yr old dtr and I are both stressed and need to run away from home for this weekend. Looking to go a couple of hours from Boston for Sat and Sunday nights - thought of Portland. Never been there except to gas up car on way to more northern Maine. Both like museums, food, shopping - no hiking, biking or exercise other than walking this time. Any suggestions (or is this not a workable idea)
Oct 1st, 2007, 03:00 PM

I had never spent any time in Portland and always wanted to. Finally spent 2 nights in Portland, ME in July. Enjoyed some really good restaurants (Duckfat, 555 & Fore Street). Saw a great exhibit at the Portland Museum of Art. There was also the Victoria Mansion that we had planned on seeing, but never quite made it. Lots of interesting shopping too. I think its a good idea. Have fun!
Oct 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM

I think Portland is a great spot to go -
Restaurants we have enjoyed are Mims (which was really fun for Sunday brunch and delicious) - for dinner, we ate at Cinque terre and Fore Street -
also DeMillo's which is a floating restaurant - in an old ferry boat - the food there was good, it wasn't as high end good as the other restaurants, but you have the whole view/ambiance/water thing happening - even if you go for lunch or drinks/dessert or soemthing

Portland Art Museum is fabulous -

There are great shops up and down the streets with other little cafes to stop in - great stores for mother/daughter browsing -

You also have other close choices, which I realize you may have done before; Newport, Portsmouth, Chatham area, western mass area (lots of cute shops near the 5 college area of Northampton/Smith/Amherst with plenty of museums, etc but may be a parents wknd or maybe not being it is Columbus Day -

But Portland would be a delight I think you would not be disappointed and either would your daughter -
Oct 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM

Go!!! Great small city. I agree with the last poster. Good restaurants and good shopping in unique stores within old town. I think it is highly underrated.
Oct 1st, 2007, 04:13 PM

Gail when I was in Portland in August my sister and I met some of her friends for dinner. I don't remember the name of the place, and I should because it was fabulous. This is what I do know; it was not in the center of the city, it was more like on a side street. The restaurant was over a nice meat market. So if you ask anyone about a restaurant over a meat market they might know what you are talking about. It was great food and great wine! Sorry I don't know the name.
Oct 1st, 2007, 04:36 PM

Portland also has a lot of neat shops, galleries and local coffee places in the "old port" area. You will also be close to Freeport (about half an hour north) if you and your daughter enjoy outlet shopping and of course, LL Bean. We also like Street & Company for dinner - excellent pasta and seafood. Portland's a great getaway from Boston!
Oct 1st, 2007, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all - I just checked hotels and since it is a long weekend and also early foliage time, hotels are in short supply - but we can still find a room. Shopping and eating could easily fill a good part of the weekend. Could be perfect getaway we need - she is in the middle of college applications, SATs, normal teenage stresses - and just leaving it behind for a few days would do her some good.
Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:18 AM

bhonoreh:

I think you are referring to the cafe above Pat's Meat Market? Here's their website and indeed they do get good reviews. It's definately on my list of places to go!

http://cafeatpats.com/
Oct 2nd, 2007, 05:33 AM

Sofee, that is it! Wow, thank you, I am going to write it down. The atmosphere, food and wine superb! We were staying at the Old Colony in Kennebunkport and drove up to Portland for that one dinner, absolutely worth going back.

Search this Thread