Portland maine and beyond

Jul 12th, 2009, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Portland maine and beyond

I hope you can help me out. My girlfriends and I do a trip every year and this year they decided to fly into Boston for the first weekend in October. I'm in charge of this trip.

My original thoughts were to take them to Portland Maine on Thursday afternoon and then head back Sunday morning. I know there lots we can do during the day, shopping, leaf peeping north of Portland, trip on the ferry out to Peaks to walk around etc.

Can you offer up any suggestions of a different idea for Thursday night? I was thinking maybe of heading up to some quaint New Hampshire town, having a dinner, staying at a B & B, then getting Friday morning, hitting the road over to Portland Friday morning.

Or we could stay in Boston Thursday night, eat dinner there and get up and head north the next day.

thanks for any help you can be.
Jul 12th, 2009, 02:08 PM

we stayed in Boston for 3 days and then headed up to Kennebunkport in Maine and stayed at the White Barn Inn..
Gorgeous town with lots of great restaurants but you can do other 3-4 star hotels and be just fine.
Or you can head down to the Cape which is always a great time.
We stayed at a Marriott in Portland and the food was great but I would..imo, stay somewhere else.
So many great coastal towns in Maine..
Jul 12th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Ogunquit or Kennebunkport Maine would be perfect. You can usually get some oceanfront off season rates. Some decent dining in both towns and wonderful walks etc.
Jul 12th, 2009, 02:47 PM

There are some beautiful drives on the backroads, not the freeways, between New Hampshire and Portland Maine. Consider heading up to Wolfeboro or Alton Bay for Thursday night.
Jul 13th, 2009, 04:37 AM

Check out Portsmouth NH events for that Thursday. Portsmouth has more night life than most NH cities/towns. Also, the harbor cruise and inland rivers cruise are nice. You can walk to the dock from the parking garage. Consider MHT rather than Logan. In Concord NH, Thursday tends to be the night a local store offers a wine tasting, Gibson's bookstore has meet the author, etc. Not every Thursday but if nothing else, the new Red River Theater shows independent movies and sometimes has discussions. Downtown Concord tends to get very quiet in the evening unless you are aware of local events. Have heard good reports about the Centennial Inn. You and your friends might enjoy shopping at the League of NH Craftsmen store, etc. The local store with occasional wine-tastings is Butters. Then ignore mapquest and take Rt 4 over to Portsmouth (Mapquest usually recommends Rt 101 which is the boring route). This goes thru Northwood's Antique Alley if you want to shop for antiques. The scenery gets really nice once you get past Durham and the road goes over Great Bay bridges and past Wagon Hill Farm. You can take a detour to Lee NH where General John Stark vodka is made. It's also a winery. Haven't visited in a few years but it's on the site of a former dairy farm and the vodka is really unique.
Not sure about your friends but mine prefer to have some kind of evening activity or else a late dinner after a long day. The Portland and southern Maine coast for the rest of the weekend would be a great trip.