First timers..

Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First timers..

East Coast week. We only have a week, where to fly into by Southwest Airlines. rent a car .Where do we go to make a round trip so to fly back out? we want to eat lobster,see the leaves,and lighthouses.
This has to be between now and October 14.
Please advise.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 12:45 PM

You haven't bought a plane ticket yet? I would first see if/when the places you want to go have vacancy. Leaf peeping is so popular that I'd imagine it may be difficult to get lodging.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well for "lighthouses" you need to be along the coast... so New Hampshire or Maine?? Lobster same idea, easiest to find along the coast.

But for great color, I like Vermont best.

You could fly into & out of Bradley International (Hartford CT but just off the freeway to head north). Or Boston.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:28 PM

Manchester NH airport (MHT) gives you an easy choice between VT and Maine. If you can get to Maine on a weekend by Columbus Day, you can find a lobster shack with picnic tables by the water open (weekends only).

You could go from MHT to Portsmouth NH via Rt 101 and have lobster at your choice of restaurants all the way up Rt 1 or I95 to Portland. From Portland, head west to Conway and NH's White Mountains but I would only travel that area on a weekday. I wouldn't bother with the Kancamagus Highway unless it's early in the morning. I would choose a more southerly route west and aim for Meredith NH.

You have lots of choices and you can see several lighthouses. I think you will still be able to take a lighthouse cruise out of Portland ME. Check Casco Bay cruises.

BUT from MHT I would go north on I93 to Concord then East on Rt 4 to Portsmouth. Much more scenic. Newick's on Dover Point Rd used to be a favorite lobster place of ours. It's ok but not the old shack that it used to be.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

My sister works for Southwest so usually she gets us tickets but we don't know where we fly into to start trip.
once again thank you for advising me.
second reason we are so late is the Dr just cleared me to travel.Had a serious heart aliment.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank u all for answering me.That is so kind, I really didn't think anyone would.
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 01:56 PM

That makes sense! Glad you are doing better, and I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 02:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I *love* New England in the Fall. It's very beautiful.

Can you sister give you a list of airports in New England that Southwest flies into?

Then we can help you figure out which one might be most central and pick a couple states you could visit with a rental car.

Good news about your doctor's report!
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 04:38 PM

You could fly into Manchester NH and fly home from Burlington VT airport....but what city is your home base? Southwest might offer better schedules into/ out of one of those airports. Alamo has decent one-way car rates especially if you are Costco members.

You could stay in one central spot, and make day drives to the coast or to the colors/mountains. Or you could do more moving around/ checking-in and checking-out of various inns and cover more territory...depends on how much you like to up-and-move.

Unfortunately they're not expecting a very colorful autumn in New England this year, but the lobster and the lighthouses will still be there.

Do you have a budget to work with as far as inns/lodging?
Old Sep 19th, 2016, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

We really don't have a budget. we like B and B.and inns. we have never stayed in one but they look neat.
Southwest flies into Hartford Connecticut,Portland Maine,Boston and Providence RI.
We are 72 but active,We still up and move.
This is so exciting!
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 03:01 AM

Southwest also flies into Manchester NH (MHT).

If you have a choice, I wouldn't pick Boston only because the airport is huge and driving into and out of the city can be tricky. If I have to fly out of Logan/Boston, I take a bus from NH.

Portland might be ideal.
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Our home base is Corpus Christi Texas
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 09:20 AM

From Corpus Christi, currently Southwest only has service into Boston, and the only day of the week with a decent flight schedule is Saturday (leave CC at 10am, arrive Boston 7pm) You'll connect in Houston. You'll probably want a room close to Boston airport for that first night.

Note that B&Bs often have flights of stairs to negotiate, so if that would be a problem for you be sure and check.

Oct 1 through 8 looks good for flights and room availability. From Boston you might make the 90 min drive up to Ogunquit Maine. Colonial Inn has an elevator. From here you can do the shore drive down to York and Kittery, or take a day trip to Kennebunkport.

Wed Thur & Fri consider staying in Laconia NH by the lake, you could take 90 min drives up into the White Mountains, have lunch and leisurely drives back to Laconia. On Saturday the flight from Boston leaves around 5pm and it's just under 2 hours from Laconia so even with a stop for lunch you should be able to make it back to the Boston airport car rental return by 2:30pm easily. Saturday afternoons are pretty quiet at the airports.

In Laconia, the Naswa Resort and the Birch Knoll Motel are both nice clean spots right at the water, and both show availability.

Unfortunately car rentals look quite expensive at Logan airport, but if you want to use Southwest Airlines you're stuck with flying into Logan.
Old Sep 20th, 2016, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Debbie,you are amazing!! You should charge for your service .And charge a lot more for your courtesy!