Port Townsend/Seattle Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first time. What an awesome website! I'm originally from Seattle, but haven't lived there for years. I can't wait to go home, but we will be traveling some places I haven't done without the terrific guidance of my dad, so need some help please. We're going to stay for three nights at Ft. Worden in the Madrona Vista traveling from out of state and through Seattle. Anyone stayed at the Madrona? How rustic should I expect it to be? We will be there Saturday afternoon and then reunioning Sunday, Monday, and check out Tuesday morning. We'd like to see the Hoh Rainforest before the reunion. Is there enough time? After our reunion on Tuesday we'd also like to go to Victoria for the rest of the day and then take the ferry back to Seattle. (Too rushed?). We are thinking about staying in Belltown. Is this a safe area and would the Space Needle and Pikes Street Market be close enough for walking from Belltown?
Then my other question...I have a daughter who will be with us only at Ft. Worden. She is coming in on Saturday afternoon and leaving Tuesday night. Her husband has never see downtown and she really wants him to view the Space Needle and especially take a trip through Pikes Market. I think they could stay at my dad's and then go to Pikes Market early Sunday morning. Will it be open?? Since they are a little afraid they are going to get majorly lost does someone have a quick and easy way for them to get to Ft. Worden? Thank you SO much for any help. Dang, this makes travel planning so much easier.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
here it is
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:20 AM

ttt
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 11:49 AM

I'll take a stab at answering at least some of the questions.

If you're not getting out to the Peninsula until Sat afternoon, it'll be tough to go out to the Hoh and back that day. From Pt Townsend, it's probably a good 2.5 hours each way to the Hoh visitor's center. So it's do-able, technically, but you'd be in for a long day.

If you're determined to go to Victoria, then I think it would be best to take the fast ferry from Pt Angeles back and forth and just drive back to Seattle from Port Angeles, otherwise you have to deal with ferry lineups even with a reservation.

Where in Belltown? It's generally safe although there is definitely a noticeable homeless population in the area but that generally is more of a discomfort issue than a safety issue.

Yes, the market is open on Sundays.

Are you looking for alternatives for your daughter other than driving between Seattle and Port Townsend? Not sure what you meant by "quick and easy way".
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I an on my way home now and will be reading over everone's advice tonight. By the way, has anyone been to the Music Experience? Would it be entertaining for 2-6 year olds? Or would it be best to stick with the Children's Museum or Science Pavilion (I'm not sure what they call the actual science part now).
Thank you.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for telling me how to get back to my message to read any replies. And thanks for the feedback. NWWanderer--when I mentioned "quick and easy" in my e-mail I was just wondering what the fastest and easiest way (so they don't get lost) might be. If they take the ferry how much time should they allow themselves, do they go to Bainbridge, just some ideas that might make their travel up to Fort Worden as unconfusing as possible. Thanks everyone again.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:36 PM

I think your kids are too young to enjoy EMP. The Seattle Aquarium has just opened a new section and it is a great place to go with kids of all ages. It's right below the Pike Place Market on the waterfront.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Yes, they'd take the ferry from Seattle to Bainbridge and then drive north and west from there (305 to 3 to 104 over the Hood Canal Bridge, then right at the clearly-marked sign for Port Townsend--the route is pretty clear if they look at a map). With the ferry trip (but not counting time spent waiting for the ferry), it'll take 1.5-2 hours to get to Port Townsend from downtown.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
You're most welcome (and welcome!). Getting the hang of the forum's mechanics is a handy thing to know.