Port St. Joe in November?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2003, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to find a place for our family to get together in November and an idea of Port St Joe came up. No, we are not counting or swimming but taking long walk on the beach and some nature reserves or parks with walking/hiking trails. We do not mind to dress warmly when outside.

Do you think that this place would suite people ages 25-83 who love quiet places and nature?

Any accommodations with a full kitchen that are worthy to research?

Any great place to have at least one family dinner?

Supermarket, farmers market, fresh fruit place in this area?

The best airport for some of us to fly to?

Any other suggestions, ideas?
Thanks
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Anyone with any information about this place?
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 04:54 AM

Do you mean the Port St. Joe in the Florida panhandle? The one by Cape San Blas? Or is this another Port St. Joe?
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 07:39 AM

I've been to Port St. Joe several times, and if you're into quiet beaches, and walking/nature, then you'll love it. If you want nightlife, then forget it.

November will start getting a little chilly, but we've been there for New Years and still swam a little...so, just depends on the weather.

Not many hotels in the area (thank god)...however, most real estate offices handle vacation rentals (houses by the week). November will be in the off-season, so you might get a break on the price, and you can probably haggle with them on start/stop dates (most want Sun-Sun reservations, but might be flexible).

Check www.capesanblasrentals.com (I think?)...and there's also a prudential office in Port St. Joe who handles rentals, but I can't think of the URL right now.

NOT great supermarkets/farmers markets...Port St Joe is a very small town, although there is a relatively new Krogers in town.

As far as restaurants go, I can't really recommend anything in PSJ...But, there is a town nearby called Apalachicola, which you should definitely check out. Great old town, with early 1900's houses, and several good restaurants. I can recommend a meal at the Gibson Inn...old, old Hotel, with a nice restaurant/bar on the main floor, wraparound porches, good atmosphere.

Another fun place to check out is the Indian Pass Raw Bar, between PSJ and Apalach. Looks like a gas station on the side of the road (middle of nowhere), but has GREAT fresh seafood, and a good beer selection, too!

Airports - Panama City (1 hour drive?), Tallahassee (1.5 hours?).

Other things to do: Rent a canoe/kayak out on Cape San Blas, and just tour the bay (weather permitting). Go horseback riding out in the State Park at the Tip of the Cape.

I love it down there, and hope you enjoy.
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

This place sounds just like what we are looking for. Thank you Toddler for great information.

I know I will like Port St Joe and Apalachicola State Park with its hikig trails looks wonderful on its website.

I found accommodations in Old Salt Works Cabins. Did you hear about them?
Old Mar 12th, 2003, 04:28 PM

When I was a kid in high school, I camped in Port St. Joe State Park (I think that was the park's name) - right out on a little peninsula...

To this day, I think it is the most beautiful beach I have ever seen.

Happy Trails,
Paul
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 05:49 AM

Hey Wildflower - glad to be of service.

The Salt Works Cabins name rings a bell, but I can't place it. I'd just try to see if you can get any pictures of the property. Are the cabins out on Cape San Blas?

Or perhaps, try a www.google.com search for them, and see if you can find out any more info.
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

They have a nice website and from all photos the cabins look nice and are inexpensive.
Thanks again
Old Mar 13th, 2003, 04:08 PM

If you want peace and quiet this is the place. My sister was there two years ago during Spring Break and they had the beach to themselves!!

She stayed at Cape San Blas Camp Resort. They had cabins to rent and were at the beach.

She said there was lots of nature reserve type areas plus good fishing.