Poor Student off to San Francisco

Jul 18th, 2004, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Poor Student off to San Francisco

I posted this message earlier this evening, but my Son wasn't able to track it down ---just figured out why ---in the message title I misspelled San Francisco!!! Thanks to Donna and cher_cher for seeing my note and for their help! Any others would be welcome --- any surfers out there? Thnx

Message: My son is in his mid-twenties --- university student with very little in the bank.

He has a free flight to San Fransisco this weekend, arriving Thursday noon ---leaving Sun. noon.

He is a philosopher --- loves great used book stores, interesting art galleries --- wants to stay in a hostel --eat well but cheap and see as much as he can.

Any suggestions for a conveniently located hostel (I don't usually see chat about hostels on this site but thought I'd try). He also has a burning desire to go surfing. Will that be possible?

Would the Alcatraz tour eat up too much of his limited time?

If you could only see one gallery, which would it be?

Many thanks in advance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: dwoodliff
Date: 07/18/2004, 07:23 pm
Message: SFMOMA (San Francisco Museum of Modern Art) is wonderful! The Alcatraz tour is good, too -- I've taken it each time I've visited SF -- but I've heard you need to reserve tickets 2 weeks in advance in the summer. Maybe for a party of one, however, he could give it a try.

Donna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: cher_cher
Date: 07/18/2004, 08:20 pm
Message: Yerba Buena Center for the Arts is across the street from SFMOMA and is a great gallery space. A show called "Beautiful Losers" just opened. It's about fringe artists that your son will most likely be familiar with, such as Margaret Kilgallen (RIP ), Barry McGee, Spike Jonze, etc.

http://www.ybca.org/b_ybca.html

Another great place is 111 Minna gallery/bar/nightclub which is within walking distance of YBCA and SFMOMA. This is a fine place to get a drink, listen to the DJ, and view some art. But if I could only do one, given the current exhibition, I'd hit Yerba Buena.

Here is a list of SF Hostels that includes ratings. I've personally heard good things about the one on Ellis:

http://www.hostels.com/us.ca.sf.html

Cheap, delicious food is not a problem AT ALL in SF. Massive, amazing burritos can be found in the Mission District at Taqueria Cancun or El Farolito on Mission St. Rosamunde Sausage in the Lower Haight for an inexpensive, gourmet sausage sandwich. Brandy Ho's Chinese on the border of Chinatown and North Beach. PPQ (Pho Phu Quoq) for Vietnamese on Irving Street, right on the way to the beach. Really though, he shouldn't have a hard time find places while he's cruising around. Food abounds in San Francisco.

Author: cher_cher
Date: 07/18/2004, 08:26 pm
Message: I neglected to mention that around the corner from the hostel on Ellis is a hole in the wall that serves great fish & chips. I'm failing to remember its exact location, but what he can do is get a pint of Guinness at the Edinburgh Castle on Geary Street, home of the Scottish Cultural and Arts Foundation, and place his order for fish & chips right there and they'll set him up. Delish!

Jul 19th, 2004, 05:09 AM

Topping for s1a2r3 since this hit number 50.
Jul 19th, 2004, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

huh?
Jul 19th, 2004, 05:32 AM

You said that your son wasn't able to find the post, so I was just bringing it back to number one for you. That way it would be easier to find and you may get more responses.
Jul 19th, 2004, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

My goodness that is so kind of you. Should have figured that out ---not quite awake!

Thank-you.
Jul 19th, 2004, 12:12 PM

here is a list of galleries and art exhibits:

http://www.sfgate.com/eguide/search/art/

pick san francisco out of the drop-down "where" menu

There is a hostel on Mason street - good location for galleries and sightseeing. I don't know the exact address, corner of O'Farrell.