Reload this Page >

Polynesian Cultural Center authentic or disrespectful

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Keith

Anyone been to the Polynesian Cultural center on Oahu. A friend visited a few years ago and found it to be disrespectful of the Polynesian people. She said they depicted fire walkers (a sacred ritural)falling down and setting a flame there grass skirts. She also said she saw one skit that mock the behaviors of jungle dwelling polynesians(the term she used to describe informative lecture) inside a beautiful building. She only found out after lecture and upon her own inquiry that this was a replica of a Maori Temple. Anyone have a similar experience? Planning a trip and I would like to know if this gives an authentic account of the culture or is this a side show.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:49 AM
MAry

Oh my God Keith! DO NOT GO THERE! My husband and I honeymooned in Hawaii and went to this place and I have never regreted going to a place so much. First it is so far that it takes forever to get there. Then it is such a tourist trap. I also regret spending the day at this place instead of visiting Pearl Harbor. Do yourself a favor and stay away from this place, there are lots of other places you could take in the culture throughout Hawaii.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 07:56 AM
shelly

I didn't find it to be either authentic or disrespectful, just a tourist trap as the previous poster mentioned. Actually, I thought the final show of the night (I can't remember what it was called) was pretty impressive, but aside from that, it's pretty much a waste of time IMHO. It wasn't overly informative or interesting, the luau was a joke, and we found the college students who portrayed the islanders to be kind of bored with the whole process. We wouldn't go back and could certainly find better things to do with our time in Hawaii. On a side note, however, my mother LOVED the Polynesian Cultural Center. Maybe it's an age thing -- I was in my mid twenties when I went there, my mother in her mid forties. Go figure.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Dianne

The skits are definitely a little silly, but I was also very happy with the evening show (Horizons?) The dancers were very talented, the lighting and stage were impressive and it was worth the trip. I wonder if anyone knows a similar show closer to Waikiki?

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 11:09 AM
gail

I thought it was silly and EXPENSIVE. I was not tempted when we went to French Polynesia (and they do a hard sell!) because we had already "done" it once. Sometimes I think it is ok to see these things, but not when the choice is (as the above poster mentions)to miss something meaningful like Pearl Harbor.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Keith

Anybody know any place on Oahu that does teach about the Polynesian Culture. I am familiar with Bishop Musuem and Waimea Falls Park (changed hands since I last visited but there use to be an authentic rendering of early hawaiian life. Any ideas?

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Keith

Thanks for all of your comments my friend was right. Glad to save the money and the time in not going to the park.