Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Points of interest within 75 miles of Williamsburg

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 05:34 PM
janis

I am spending a week in early September at a resort near Williamburg. I know that is a ways off - but before I decide who else to invite I'd like a good idea of what there is to see/do within day trips.

And how much actual time/days should I devote to Collonial Williamsburg itself?

(Besides the 7 days I'll also have about 3 days in DC and a long weekend on the NC coast - so I am really looking for VA stuff here)

thanks

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:01 PM
Leslie

I found Colonial Williamsburg high-priced and boring, but that is my opinion. It's a fun experience if you are bringing children. But, it can be seen in a day.

Old Feb 22nd, 2002, 07:44 PM
Linda

The Virginia Beach / Norfolk /Newport News area has tons of stuff to do.
Mariners Museum, Living Museum,
Marine Science Museum, Nauticus,
and, of course, the Beach itself.
Plus other attractions. Richmond has some cool historical attractions. Call the Depts. of Tourism for brochures. Have fun!

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:03 AM
Susan

Janis: What are your interests? Outdoors, hiking, biking, shopping, museums, history? If you like history I would reserve two days for Colonial Williamsburg itself. To do the interpretive buildings, the DeWitt Wallace museum, the Abby Aldrich museum, and Carter's Grove plantation you'll need the time. Make sure you fit in a morning or evening stroll along DOG street to capture the magic of CW. Drive the Colonial parkway and the Country Road from Carter's Grove. Have lunch on the patio at the Golden Horseshoe. Let us know how else we can help you.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 11:43 AM
Kathy

Charlottesville, Virginia is two hours away and is a really nice town. Monticello (Thomas Jeffersons's home) is there along with quite a few other President's homes & vineyards in the vicinity. Usually there is something fun going on in town including Fridays after Five on the downtown mall.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 12:45 PM
janis

Thanks for the help. Besides how much time to devote to Williamsburg, I am also looking for things within a reasonable drive for day trips. I didn't realize Monticello was that close.

If this helps - I am interested in history, gardens, etc. I'd like to visit some places dating to before the revolution as well as some civil war sites. I generally avoid places like theme parks (except Disneyland - but that is another story or overly touristy places.

I am flying out of Norfolk so I may have a day or so there after Williamsburg.

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 02:17 PM
lisa

We wish we'd had time to see Charlottesville and the Shenandoah Valley when we were in Wmsbg.

Spend another day in Williamsburg if you like to golf. Their courses are beautiful (but expensive).

Old Feb 23rd, 2002, 08:19 PM
janis

topping - any other ideas out there? Thanks

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Geoff

Janis,

If you're willing to consider things like Monticello which is more like 100-125 miles, then there are many Civil War battlefields to be considered. Some close to Richmond, but if you're on your way to DC from Williamsburg then half way in between is the Fredericksburg/Chancellorsville/Spotsylvania area. Also consider George Washington's birthplace.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 09:16 AM
Amy

In addition to the Carter Plantation, you might enjoy some plantations (along the James River) on RT 5 between Williamsburg and Richmond...Evelynton, Shirley, Westover, there are others. Check that they are open when you are there. I enjoyed them so much I hope to return during Virginia's spring Garden Week.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 10:06 AM
Joanne

Garden Week is quite a delight. If you're into gardens at all, this is a wonderful opportunity to see how the other half gardens -- some of the places on the tour the day we went had driveways that seemed a mile long!

Both Jamestowns (the archaeological excavation and the re-created model town a la Plimoth Plantation) are worth a trip.

I also want to "second" the recommendation of Monticello. I think my kids got more out of that than from Williamsburg, which felt very re-creation-y to us, even though many buildings are authentic. At Williamsburg, go to the "trial" that they stage, if possible.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 10:22 AM
Joy in Virginia

Williamsburg itself - 2 days so you can leisurely see all the buildings you want, museums there. Be sure to begin with seeing the orientation movie "Story of a Patriot" made in the 50s and starring Jack Lord - it is a hoot! Drive down the Colonial Parkway south to historic Jamestown site and north to Yorktown (20 or 30 minutes to each one) and see the Yorktown Victory Center museum, walk around the town (allow 2-3 hours). Nick's Seafood Pavilion is a local landmark. If you bicycle you can bike the Colonial Parkway (but watch those expansion joints - my hubby fractured his collarbone there one year). Just across the York River from Yorktown is Gloucester County (30 minutes from Wmsbu over toll bridge but BIG county), becoming more suburban but still with lots of history esp if you are interested in colonial era architecture. Down the road from Gloucester another 30 min is Gwynn's Island with a small museum and great, cheap, basic food at the Seabreeze restaurant on the water, friendliest folks you could ever meet. If you mountain bicycle Waller Mill Park is only 15-20 min away and free, local bike clubs have mountain bike rides there every weekend and the trails are advanced beginner to moderate skills, ducks on pond, playground, nice bathrooms. Another park is York River State Park, with $3 admission fee, canoes, mountain biking, playground, nature center, BATHROOMS! DEFINITELY drive down Route 5 west from Williamsburg to see the James River Plantations in Charles City County - you can get a block ticket and eat lunch at Indian Fields Tavern. Busch Gardens Williamsburg will still be open 4 days weekly in September and is lots of fun esp if you like roller coasters! Voted most beautifully landscaped theme park for about 7 years running, it was built in the woods and lots of trees, flowers, natural landscaping. If you REALLY love roller coasters then drive 75 miles away to King's Dominion at Doswell VA - FANTASTIC coasters and lots of them.

websites: www.jamesriverplantations.org
www.yorkcounty.gov/tourism/index.html
www.co.gloucester.va.us/pr/tourism.htm
www.qsl.net/w4rzb/gimuse.html
www.gwynns-island.com/

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 11:00 AM
lmsa_mc

My whole family thought the Marine Science Museum in Virginia Beach was one of the best of its kind we have seen. We also loved Busch Gardens. It is beautiful.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Susan

Norfolk has a lovely botanical garden right next to the airport. You could stop on your way in or out. When you are touring Colonial Williamsburg open gates and go behind the houses. There are hidden gardens that many people miss. In Richmond, there is an authentic Renaissance period house that was brought over from England and rebuilt. They have filled it with period furniture. The tours are great. It's on the James River and has gorgeous gardens. I can't think of the name right now and dinner's on the stove. I'll have to get back to you. Its next to another old home called The Virginia house. Both are in the prettiest neighborhood in Richmond. Monticello is a must. Jefferson was the ultimate gardener.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 03:59 PM
janis

WOW - thanks everybody for all the information. I was thrilled to find so many new responses. It looks I will have plenty to keep me busy.

But if anyone has more, keep them coming

Old Feb 27th, 2002, 09:04 PM
dixiechick

the most fabulous views are along the skyline drive. you can see FOREVER

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 05:48 AM
dan woodlief

I can help with the history part. If you want to visit one place outside Williamsburg that has a lot of history and variety, go to Richmond/Petersburg. In Richmond, the White House of the Confederacy is fascinating, as is the adjoining Museum of the Confederacy. You can also visit several battlefields nearby - Gaines Mill, Cold Harbor, Malvern Hill, and others. You can see all the battlefields in one day. You can also visit the state capitol building, Hollywood Cemetery (the resting place of two U.S. presidents and lots of Civil War figures), and the old Tredegar Iron works (the chief arms manufacturing center for the Confederacy). Petersburg has one of the best Civil War battlefields to visit. Allow 2-4 hours for it. Pamplin Park, on the southern outskirts of Petersburg, is a private park that houses a tremendous museum dedicated to the Civil War soldier. Pamplin also is the site of remarkably preserved trenches (it was the site of the Union breakthrough that led to Appomattox) and daily demonstrations by guys in period uniforms.

An alternative is the Fredericksburg area that someone else mentioned. Not only does it have four major battlefields (Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, the Wilderness, and Chancellorsville), but you can also visit the building where Stonewall Jackson died. Plus, the old town itself is attractive and interesting. I have not visited the pre-Civil War sites yet, but Fredericksburg has several associated with George Washington and the Revolution. You would have to pick and choose because the Civil War sites alone take two full days to appreciate.

From Williamsburg, the Richmond area is going to be much more convenient than Fredericksburg, which is about an hour south of D.C.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 09:42 PM
Debra

When in Williamsburg, eat at one of the taverns. One of them does profit-sharing with their employees (umm, was it Shields Tavern?) and the lunch was great. Ask at the visitors center-they should know. Some ticket packages include lunch. I enjoyed visiting the Rockefeller's summer home. The Rockefellers were instrumental in saving Williamsburg. The summer cottage is just a street or so over from the main part of Williamsburg and is included in one of the tour packages.