Search

Pocono Mountains - Fall Colors

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pocono Mountains - Fall Colors

Hi!

We are driving to Phiily over the 10/20 weekend and wanted to spend one night (2 days) on the Pocono mountains.

We'd prefer a cabin since we are 2 familes with a total of 4 kids (all less than 4 years).

Any suggestions on where to stay (and places to avoid)?

We have a few vegetarians in the family. so any good places to eat and places to avoid?

I guess the fall colors are best near the ski resort, right? Any other places to visit around for the best of falls colors?

Other things to do?

Again, this forum has been amazing, thanks every one in advance for all the help.

Dodz.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:14 PM
GBC

They are likely to be booked for a weekend but you might check for Pocono locations within the PA state park system.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 03:56 AM

I'd be real careful about choosing a resort type property since some of them are in poor shape (i.e. Split Rock in Lake Harmony). The Blakeslee is a nice local, one story motel without a lot of frills although they do have their own restaurant. Last time I was there, however, there was only one bed plus a sleep sofa in each room. Two little children might be able to use the sleep sofa but it was uncomfortable for adults. We usually just opt for the Comfort Inn. Near Tannersville there's a great family restaurant but I can't remember the name. Extensive menu, reasonably priced - one of those places that cook their own vegetables and make their own salads. Coming from the highway, we drive into Tannersville. At the T intersection with all the signs we go right and then almost an immediate left. Drive a few miles. It's out in the middle of "nowhere". Maybe some other Fodorite can supply the name. Pleasant drive.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 05:02 AM

I have a cottage in the Poconos, sweetie darling, and I hate to write this but because of the lack of rain this year and the very warm weather many of the leaves are already on the ground. You better get up here quick because I have a feeling we will not have a Fall, but go right from summer weather to winter weather in a matter of a week.

What ski resort, sweetie darling? There are several. Elk? Montage?Camelback?

Thingorjus
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:38 AM

I have to agree with Marginal. I have a house near the Blakeslee Inn (great inexpensive place) and last weekend was peak in that area. The Jim Thorpe area was still green (I think the lower elevations go later) but will probably be peak this coming weekend. I don't know if they'll all drop by the following weekend but it might not be as dramatic as you'd like.

Should you decide to come up and want to experience fall I'd be happy to have you over to rake up all the colorful leaves on our heavily wooded property.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 08:26 AM

Dohlice, do you ever go to the Edelweiss for dinner?
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Yes, but I'm so upset. They have new owners and the menu is not all German anymore and NO music. We're having company this weekend and were going to bring them there but I don't want to now. Have you tried the food under new management? I haven't been there since last fall.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Actaully, I haven't been there is over a year. My mother and step-father would always stop there for lunch. Keith and I really like the Bear Creek Inn. They have a delicious salmon with dill sauce.

Thingorjus
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 11:52 AM

I'll have to check that place out. I made a reservation at Mountains Edge near Lake Harmony (NOT owned by Split Rock). I just can't believe anyone would want to change the Edelweiss.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Looks like 10/20 will be too late huh?

So I'll go ahead and cancel my trip.

Wish me luck next year

Thanks,

Dodz
Old Oct 12th, 2007, 05:55 AM

Dodz check out jimthorpe.org. They have a fall festival every year (it's this coming weekend) and the last few years the foliage has been peak on their weekend. There is a ton of things to do there - the festival itself, shopping, antiquing, hiking, biking. Pumpkin farms (one in the area has horse drawn hayrides). It's a perfect fall weekend in my opinion. And, you can spend as much or as little for the hotel as you like. Fancy places in Jim Thorpe itself or places like the Blakeslee Inn ($75!) less than 20-30 minutes away and still in a beautiful area.