Plymouth Mass

Old Sep 25th, 2020, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plymouth Mass

I'm planning a day trip to Plymouth Mass. Plan to visit Plimouth Plantation, the Mayflower, and the Howland House. And to get some take out seafood. Google lists a number of places but was wondering if anyone has been there lately and can suggest something. Not fancy. Also what streets/areas of town are the most photogenic/interesting to explore? About how long do you think Plimouth Plantation, the Mayflower and the Howland house would take (on average)? Anyone been to this area ( or live around there) and have any tips? Thanks
Old Sep 30th, 2020, 04:58 PM

Haven't been there so sorry can't help, Isabel. Might there be additional travel sites where you could post the same question? How about TripAdvisor?
Shame that Lonely Planet's site has shut down, it would've been perfect for this query.

I am done. The end.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

I know traffic is way down on this site but I did expect at least a few people might have been able to answer. The Rick Steves site is generally still a bit more active than Fodors but their focus is obviously Europe. They do have a 'Beyone Europe" thread so I've posted it there. Thanks for answering.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 04:39 AM

Have you gone to the Mayflower II site? I think the ship is in Plymouth now and you can go aboard but will need to get tickets in advance. We watched the restoration at Mystic Seaport over two years and it is now spectacular.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 04:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The TA forums have reviews. Seems the boat is rather expensive for the tour but everyone loved the plantation visit. It has been many years since being there. I had relatives that came on boats after the Mayflower. Crazy puritans. They were a bit misguided. I would go read there but not allowed to link a competitor.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 08:11 AM

I had intended to go to Plymouth this year for the 400th anniversary but won't do it with current VT quarantine rules
We have not been there for years so I don't have current restaurant information. One scenic place to go is Burial Hill.

Old Oct 1st, 2020, 10:38 AM

Yes Isabel, was gonna also suggest RS but wasn't sure how much response such a query might get over there--hoping that there'll be many.

I am done. The Plymouth.
Old Oct 1st, 2020, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.
According to the website, the Mayflower is back in Plymouth. I think we'll decide once we get there if going onto it looks 'safe' (in terms of social distancing). I figure Plimouth Plantation should be OK as it's mostly outside and according to the website they have the paths and things one-way and are enforcing the mask wearing.

Vttraveler - It's so hard to decide where is 'safe' to visit. We go back and forth to Vermont fairly often as our daughter lives there but we are from Franklin County Mass and our covid rates are usually less than most of Vermont's (plus other than picking up take out we only go to our daughter's house). But in looking at the map I do see that Plymouth county is higher. Then I looked at New York City and Plymouth is even higher than NY (though compared to the rest of the country all these places are quite low). But for some reason I guess I feel 'safer' going to Plymouth than NY - maybe cause it will be more outside stuff. I don't know but other than our daughter's in Vermont we have not been anywhere for 7 months and I'm starting to go crazy.

Old Oct 1st, 2020, 06:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
We spent a day in Plymouth as tourists mid-October last year, really enjoyed the Plantation. We're vegetarians but I'll fall off the wagon on rare occasions, and pistachio salmon at the East Bay Grill was one of them. Delicious. Good luck on your trip.

https://www.eastbaygrille.com/waterfront
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 10:36 AM

Yay - Plymouth is beautiful! Definitely go to the Plantation, then go to the downtown water area. You'll see Mayflower (which was refurbished recently and sailed), Plymouth Rock (not very exciting, but you're there so why not go look at a rock in a pit), and that area has a number of restaurants on both the water and on the Main Street. There's also whale watching options which are fun.
Old Oct 2nd, 2020, 10:44 AM

Just re-read your original questions - Plymouth Plantation is probably 2-2.5 hours. Downtown Plymouth (water street) is nice to wander, and then North and Middle Street are great for window shopping and restaurants. Sam Diego's is great for Mexican, East Bay Grille is fancier and has amazing water views, let me know what other specific questions you might have!
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 04:37 AM

isabel--I understand your desire to go somewhere different and do think Plymouth should be safe. It is hard to leave our safe little bubble of low caseload in VT and western MA and as you know our quarantine rules are very strict. My husband was disgusted during the summer when I told him he should not plan a bike trip that crossed the line from Franklin to Hampshire Co in MA because Hampshire was then on the VT "quarantine" list.
I have developed a Random List of Places We Could Go (Without quarantine) but it changes from week to week.
Old Oct 4th, 2020, 08:17 AM

VT, I know that feeling about changing, random short lists. Was planning to surprise Mrs Z on her upcoming special birthday, by renting us a house for a couple weeks in her old stomping grounds Montreal (we haven't been in 100 years), but then the numbers have gone way up there.
'The donkey has one set of plans and the donkey herder has another.'
(Greek saying)

I am done. VT is NOT a donkey, I am. hee haw.
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 05:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for your perspective on this trip. We did go on Saturday, a beautiful fall day. It felt very safe and was sooooo good to feel at least a little bit like a tourist again. My photos are posted here: https://andiamo.zenfolio.com/p964818729

We got to Plimoth Plantation around 10. Parking lot less than 20% full. One couple buying tickets in the visitor center. Everyone we saw all day was masked, at Plimouth there were hand sanitizer stations every few feet and lots of signs to stay 6 feet apart. There were costumed interpreters all over the 'English Village', some inside the houses, others outside. But the houses are all just one room and guests had to stand in the doorway - but you could easily see everything. A few times we had to wait while another 'group/family' was in the doorway but overall it was very easy to not come within 6 feet of anyone. It seemed like everything was open. The Indian Village only had a couple of interpreters and seemed kind of empty so I suspect they have somethings they weren't doing but in general we felt it was 'business as usual'. We spent about 2 hours there. The introductory video that they show in the visitor center was posted on line so we watched it before we left home. I'm not sure if they were showing it there or not. You did not need reservations, timed or otherwise. When we left the parking lot was just slightly more full than it had been two hours earlier.

We then drove the 3 miles to downtown Plymouth. There was a good amount of traffic (and a small Trump vs anti-Trump rally in front of the rock) and most of the on street parking was full but we only had to go about 2 blocks to find a space (metered, there was really quite a lot including the side streets). I had debated if going on the Mayflower would be 'safe' but I think it was. A guide was keeping track of how many were on the ship at a time (max 25) and while we on it we were easily 6 feet from anyone else. It's small. We were there maybe 15 minutes.

We walked through town (lots of outdoor dining options, some places looked to be also serving inside). We looked at but didn't go into the Gristmill.

We did have reservations for the Jabez Howland House (which are required even in non pandemic times). Built in 1667 it's the only remaining house in Plymouth where Pilgrims actually lived. Jabez was the son of John and Elizabeth Tilley Howland who were both on the Mayflower and they lived with him for a time. It's a really interesting house even if you aren't a descendant (although since there are about 3 million of them you chances may be higher than you think). There is the original 1667 section (two rooms, one up one down), a 1720 addition and a 1750 addition. A private guided tour (which is all they do) was about 45 minutes.

Despite having been to Plimouth Plantation before (although it was like 30 years ago) and having done quite a bit of research on line, I still learned a lot.

We planned to have lunch at a seafood restaurant in Plymouth but by mid afternoon it was pretty crowded, all outside tables we saw were full and we just didn't think it was worth it so we went to the Bramhall Country Store (back near Plimoth Plantation) which had lobster grilled cheese sandwiches (very good, not sure they were worth $16 each though). They had well spaced picnic tables. We were in Plymouth a total of about 6 hours including lunch.
Old Oct 5th, 2020, 07:07 AM

Sounds like a nice trip. Thanks for the report.