Pls help settle a debate re JFK airport

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pls help settle a debate re JFK airport

For thanksgiving, dh and I are going to Paris. The thing is, we live in Albany, NY and are flying out of JFK. Thus, we have to figure out a way to get there.

I want to just drive there and park; however dh does not b/c he is afraid we'll be too tired when we get back. I don't think so as we leave Paris at 1 pm and get to JFK at 3 pm on Sunday. So even with the time difference I don't think it will be a problem. And that way it will only take us three hours each way.

Dh wants to take Amtrak into Penn, take the subway to Grand Central and then take the subway or shuttle or whatever it is from Grand Central to JFK. I don't b/c I looked at amtrak tix which looks to be about $250 for two to Penn (which takes about 2 and 1/2 hours) plus the additional time and expense to get from Penn to JFK.

We can't do any overnights at JFK as we have to be at work the next day.

Another option is a shuttle from our airport to JFK - it would be about $250 total round trip but would take 4 hours just on the shuttle and with the times, we would be doing quite a bit of waiting at the airport.

So, anyone here been in a similar situation? Any recommendations or thoughts? Thanks!
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Well- the train that goes to JFK is the LIRR - which comes out of Penn station. so if you're arriving there it just means switching areas of the station (there are 3 - Amtrak, LIRR and New Jersey transit) to get to the LIRR trains to Jamaica station. From there you can take Airtrain to JFK.

However, this is workabe only if you don;t have much luggage. The trains to Jamaica are very frequent, but announced only about 10 minutes in advance - so you have that long to get yourself and your luggage to the track, down 2 flights of stairs and onto the train. (I believe there is an elevator for Amtrak - not sure about LIRR - you could contact them and try to find out.)

If you know you don't get too jet lagged driving would be more convenient - but realize that arriving at 3pm New York time is 10 pm Paris time. So by the time you get through immigration, pick up your luggage, clear customs and get to the long-term parking lot - then drive to Albany - you'll be arriving home at 2:30 in the morning (your body's time).
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:16 PM

Why not drive down, park the car and go to Paris .. return pick up car and stay overnite at a hotel near JFK. Go back to Albany in the morning.

I would NOT recommend the drive after getting off the plane - jet lag is going to kick in and I'd rather hope it was not on the NYS Thruway for your sake (or fellow drivers out there).

I have family who live in NY state (half way up the Hudson between NYC and Albany). They have been known stay overnite near JFK when arriving home after long flights with many time differences and driving home in the a.m.

I would not mess with the train - sounds like you would be tired out before even getting to the airport.

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM

I'm in awe of the fact that you can do a transatlantic flight and go to work the next day! What were you thinking?

Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:34 PM
J62

I say just drive.

You land at 3pm, which is 9pm Paris time. You'll be in your car and on your way 4, 4:30 maybe. Unless you're the type to turn into a pumpkin at the stroke of midnight you should be fine. It's not like you've pulled an all nighter and are driving sleep deprived.

There are two of you, which makes it far easier as well.

Forget staying overnight at a dumpy hotel by JFK - you'll want to spend the night in your own bed I am sure.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

this isn't the first (or last) time we've come back from europe to work the next day, actually, it will be our third time - crazy, I know, but it works for us!

and we don't want to stay in a hotel at JFK either, especially b/c of work. thanks for the thoughts so far - anyone else?
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Since he doesn't appear to want to drive, then tell him YOU will drive the whole way home after getting off the plane from Europe. If he goes with that, problem solved.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:21 PM

If you think you will be too tired to drive home, how do you plan to LUG your luggage on the AirTrain and the subway and then to Amtrak. Take a cab! And have a wonderful time in Paris. Oh, it's dh's idea- let him carry all the luggage.
Old Nov 4th, 2006, 01:27 PM
sandi

Drive. Albany is such an easy drive once you get on the Thruway. Open the windows, play the CDs, talk to one another - joila, you're pulling into your driveway.

Worse case, it's 8pm when you get home. Drop the bags, shower to get the eau de Boeing off the bod and hit the bed. Next morning, you're set to go.

Old Nov 5th, 2006, 03:12 AM
Original Poster

I've already offered to do the driving myself and he's still adamant. So I wanted to get unbiased opinions from here and show them to him. Honestly, if it had gone the other way, I would have happily done that too - I just want the easiest way, you know? I don't care what it is and would have been fine if I had been the wrong one.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Well, you take the car and let him take the train
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 05:03 AM

I would think that taking public transportation, with all the changes entailed, would be more tiring!
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Got to agree with HowardR. There is no way I'd put up with the public transportation hassles of getting thru NYC and back up to Albany. Seems like a foolish...and very tiring...way to ruin a perfectly good trip to Paris.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 05:36 AM

Drive and park, fly, unpark and drive.

Yes, it's a long drive after a long flight, but, as others have said, once you get on the Deegan/Thruway, it goes fairly easy.

Take a nap on the plane and you should have no problem making it all the way home safely.

(BTDT, although my exit off the Thruway is number 18.)

Old Nov 5th, 2006, 05:38 AM

How about a compromise. Drive down and off to Paris.

Here are 2 possibilities:

#1 -- Drive down as far as Westchester County and take a limo/hotel shuttle from there, leaving your car at a hotel in White Plains. Lots to choose from and pretty reasonable cost. On your return home, do the reverse and head back to hotel. Go to sleep ASAP - get up early in the morning and drive on to Albany/work. Since you have a reservation to stay on your return, you should be able to park car for free or minimal price.

#2 -- Drive all the way to JFK and park in long term lot and off to Paris. On your return, I would pick up the second part of my #1 suggestion --> drive to White Plains, get a room, sleep ASAP and head off to Albany at first light.

I picked Westchester/White Plains because there are a lot of possibilities there and it seems like a good path [and I lived most of my life there] but this would work in other nearby locations too, I think.

Hope either of these works for you. Driving with a jetlagged body after a long flight and at the end of what will hopefully be a wonderful vacation isn't fun.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 06:01 AM

I have a solution I use all the time, including 2 weeks ago on my trip to Ireland. Drive to Poughkeepsi, park for $20/week, $4/day, free weekends. Take METRO NORTH, about $25 round trip pp, to Grand Central. From Grand Central, take the shuttle (S subway) to 42nd st. (has ramps and elevators, a few stairs, but the least compared to 5 train), then the A train to Howard Beach, then Airtrain stright to Kennedy.

$12 for the subway/Airtrain. Buy a $10 metro card and a single $2 ride card.

Key is packing light, with only 1 quality rolling bag. As I said, I do this all the time- a great moneysaver.
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 06:22 AM
J62

Great $ saving route BQ. I'm curious, what is the total travel time from Poughkeepsie to JFK using your route?
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 08:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Several people have touched on the luggage issue. You don't want to be doing all those elaborte public transportation tranfers with more than a tiny suitcase apiece.

Honestly, for me, I would have built in an extra day into the trip + would drive to the airport.

That said, in your shoes, since your husband has such strong feelings about it, I might consider them.
;-)
Old Nov 5th, 2006, 10:40 AM

I repeat, if it was me, I wouldn't want the hassle of taking four different means of public transportation after coming off a transcontinental flight and then still have to drive part of the way home, no matter how little luggage I had.
As for time, I can't see how anyone could make it from JFK to Poughkeepsie on the aforementioned public transportation route in less than 3 hours, unless he/she made phenomenal connections....and even then, I'm not sure!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -