Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please, some tips for N.Y. and northeast, 2 weeks, low budget(…) trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there!
I’m preparing for a 2-week trip to northeast USA, late May, while doing some (desperate?) efforts to keep the budget low (in this expensive country…) due to recent financial restrictions.
Could you please advise me about how to choose and combine some interesting sights with low budgets?
My initial thought is to stay within the corridor Boston – New York - Philadelphia - Baltimore – Washington, sleeping at hostels and moving with public buses..
Main interests are cityscape, street life, nature... (but no shopping, drinking)
Do you think the areas above make a good choice for that reason?
Also, could you suggest possibilities for hiking in nature around there (seaside/ mountain) accessible by public transport?
Any other tips for good sightseeing at earthly costs, will be a big big help, totally welcome!
Looking forward to hearing your tips guys, happy travels!
Nikolas
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 10:49 AM

I think if you give your exact dates, number of people (though it sounds like you are going solo) and beds needed, and nightly budget in USDs, some people might be able to make recommendations for hotels.

The Freedom Trail in Boston is free but I believe certain of the buildings along it have admission fees. Hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Central Park is free. Some other sights are free and cheap too and you can probably find some useful website using google.

Don't know much inexpensive or free stuff in Philadelphia or Baltimore.

Most sights in Washington, DC (DC) are free.

There aren't "public" busses that are run by municipalities between the cities, but Boltbus and Megabus have low cost tickets sometimes. The price goes up closer to the date. I think those two serve all the mentioned cities. DC2NY and Washington Deluxe serve between NYC and DC but I don't know what other cites they serve. They both have websites.

Avoid the Chinatown busses. They don't have good safety records.

Amtrak is the only train line that serves between those cities. Tickets will likely start at $39 or $49 and go up closer to the date.

Between Baltimore and DC there is MARC train which runs weekdays only.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 10:59 AM

This is the only hostel I know of in DC
http://www.hiwashingtondc.org/
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:29 AM

Near Boston, the Blue Hills reservation offers hiking and nice views, within reach of public transportation
http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/metroboston/blue.htm
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:31 AM

Also, I should point out that late May is graduation season, which around Boston means hotels are expensive and extra full. I actually have no idea what that means about hostels, but probably means you should book early.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 01:00 PM

At least one of the chinese bus companies has been shut down by the NTSB for numerous violations - incluidng accidents with deaths.

Bolt and Mega bus are OK and you can get very low fares if you buy in advance.

NYC has quite a few things that are free (central park, staten island ferry, walk the Highline and the Brooklyn Bridge) just touring quaint neighborhoods - and several major museums that are pay what you wish(suggested donation is $20 to $25). Your biggest expense will be lodging, I reco the Hosteling International on Amstedam & 103rd St, Well regarded and very large I believe you can get a bed and locker in a shared dorm room for about $45.

For a budget hotel - but often with shared bath and tiny rooms - try the Jane.

One benefit is that you can walk to a ton of places and a Metro Card provides very reasonalbe tranport in the city.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 02:05 PM

If you are a student, be sure to bring your student identification card to qualify for student discounts at various attractions.

The government museums (almost all of the best) in Washington are all free, a great boost to the budget.

Lodging in Boston will likely be a problem for the reasons above, but food is relatives inexpensive since their are so many students. Asian food is cheapest, with Italian sandwiches (subs) and pizza also cheap. The Museum of Fine Arts is free at least one night a week.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 03:37 PM

Good advice so far.

For seascapes, take the train from Boston north to Salem, Beverly, Manchester by the Sea, if the seascape from Boston or NY isn't enough. The National Park Service does a boat tour in Boston Harbor.

The public Libraries in the cities often have free/donation lectures, tours as do many colleges and universities.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 04:26 PM

All of those cities have lots of free things to do, but you have chosen some of the most expensive, as far as accommodations, places to visit. Also, two weeks ia not enough time to see them all. I would choose one or two.
As far as inexpensive restaurants, there are many ethnic restaurants, take-outs, and street food alternatives.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 05:57 PM

I think 2 weeks is plenty of time to see all three cities.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 06:28 PM

She isn't talking about three cities, she wants to do five! Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore and D.C. Two weeks means about 2.8 days per city, not counting traveling time.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 08:30 PM

i think you should book your hotel room in advance. If you can book one week before your journey then you can easily access these cities.
Old Apr 5th, 2013, 11:46 PM
Original Poster

All these are a goldmine of information to me! Many many thanks to all for the insight tips!
Well, I'll be traveling solo indeed, and my budget would (like to) be around $60-70 per day inside cities (plus transport).
I understand it will be difficult budget-wise, especially for accommodation
After initial search, it seems that hostel dorm beds go around $25-40 (NY higher), and some of these cities have just 1-2 hostels (others none)
Also, after your suggestions it sounds really more worthy to reduce my stops by a couple of these cities, so Baltimore is one to be left out and I’ll see after that…
I'll keep working my plans, and watching this thread, please do send any other suggestions anyone may have! It sounds so interesting and I think that eventually the trip will be still great besides the difficulties!
All the very best!
Nikolas / Greece
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 05:26 AM

After you narrow down your locations you may want to check out city pass - used it in Philadelphia last year. Great way to identify sites, save money and see a lot in a short amount of time. At least check out their tours to see what interested you and good luck!

http://www.citypass.com/?mv_source=r...FQ7znAoduHwAiw
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 06:19 AM

Pardon, why Baltimore? I dont get it. It has lots of gangs, homeless, drug dealings, and is not comparable to the other cities.
See more of NYC and DC, give Boston and Philly 1 day each.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 07:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2...16fa_fact_marx

www.couchsurfing.org/surf
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 09:02 AM

Sorry - trying to get hotels a tthe last minute will be a disaster - since the closer you get the higher the rates.

You should be booking your hotels NOW - to get any bargains that may still remain this late.

If you give your nightly hotel budget people may make recos - but from your description I assume you ar elooking for hostels or for very modest hotels with shared bath (perhaps $150 per night or so in NYC).

And no - you can't see all of those cities in 2 weeks - you can do Boston, NYC and DC in a superifical way - but not really more than that.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 11:58 AM

Investigate couchsurfing.org and also ask everyone you know if they know people who live in these cities who might let you crash for a couple of nights. Since you aren't staying long anywhere, you might be surprised at what you find.

Boston, NYC and Philadelphia offer LOTS of people & place watching. Museums either are free (Met in Nyc is pay as you wish) or have free times. But maybe you will be happy just walking and looking at all the interesting sights.

You could stay in any of these cities for a whole week (or a whole life) so you may enjoy just walking around and soaking up the atmosphere. You can always come back.

If you solve the lodging problem, May is a marvelous time to be in an east coast city.
Old Apr 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Baltimore does have a HI Hostel. They also have the Charm City free buses http://www.charmcitycirculator.com/
There are HI hostels in NYC and Boston. http://www.hihostels.com/
There is a New Jersey Transit train from 30th St. station in Philadelphia to Atlantic City if you wanted to go there and walk the boardwalk.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 10:56 AM

The Chinatown buses are not safe. Avoid them. Instead either use boltbus.com megabus.com or amtrak.com trains to get from city to city. The train is more relaible and the earlier you book, the cheaper the fAre. You must book at least 2 weeks in advance to get cheapest fare unless ou have a student ID. Surf the internet for Amtrak discounts and also their own website for weekly specials.

In NYC, Hostelling International is usually the least expensive option for getting a bed in a shared dorm room. The longer you wait to book, the harder it will be to find accommodation, at least in NYC. Also keep in mind there are loads of graduations in May and Boston is a big college town so you may have a really hard time finding a bed at this late date. Honestly I think you're planning too late for a trip like this so get a move on!!

In NYC the best way to get around is by subway. Even if you're not in NYC for 7 days, a 7 day unlimited metrocard that allows unlimited rides on subway and buses is the way to go.

FORGET the tourist passes. They,re expensive and will usually not pay out in the long run with short visits to each place. Do some research on museum entry fees. Some are pay what you wish and some venues have weekly free days or nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -