Please...Opinions on Copper Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of our 2 weeks in Alaska we plan to drive from Fairbanks down the Richardson Highway and stay at the Copper River Princess for 2 nights before heading back to Anchorage for a full day and then the flight home.
It looks so pretty and in a beautiful setting. Are the mines worth a day trip or is Valdez a better choice or is just enjoying the scenery and relaxation there a good choice? Any opinions are appreciated. Does any one have opinions on the Lodge itself?
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Although Copper Center itself dosen't have much to do, the drive from Copper Center to Valdez is absolutly breathtaking. Make sure, though, to have a full tank of gas, because there are no gas stations along the way until you hit Valdez.
The lodge is wonderful. We really enjoyed staying there and I think you will too.
Old May 24th, 2004, 06:39 PM

I wouldn't stay 2 nights at Princess- continue down to Valdez and then ferry back to Whittier- then back to Anchorage. The Princess lodge is nothing special and no activities there- also look at the Copper Center Lodge- much more charm and a great resturant. I have stayed at both. Yes I do think the Kennicott Mines are an excellent touring choice. Consider flying in however- the road is long and bumpy and most rentals will not allow you to drive it.
Old May 25th, 2004, 06:00 AM

The ferry from Valdez to Whittier leaves at 7:00am and arrives at 1:00pm. Note, however, that it does not run every day. See www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs for the schedule and fares. Persons taking cars on the ferry should make advance reservations to be sure space is available.
Old May 26th, 2004, 03:28 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great opinions. We're really going to try to make Valdez because of the scenery and what everyone on the board says. Perhaps a day trip. But we really want to drive back on the Glenn Highway.
Budget Queen... thank you for taking so much of your time to help people out.
Old May 31st, 2004, 11:43 AM

We just got back from Alaska. Drove from Anchorage to Valdez. There aren't many places to stay on the Richardson Hwy. We stayed at the Lake Louise Lodge outside of Glennallen - 16 miles off the highway - kind of desolate, it was interesting (nothing fancy), the lake was still frozen. Ate breakfast at the Caribou Inn in Glennallen, but was glad we didn't stay there. Did stop at the Copper River Princess to look around - thought it was pretty and had a nice view - they have day tours to various places. We did see a place that looked interesting - Sheep Mountain Lodge. In Valdez we stayed at the Best Western Harbor Inn for 2 nights. Took the Stan Stephen's cruise to Columbia Glacier.
Old Jun 2nd, 2004, 12:12 PM

Very true, lodging is sparse in this area. But I stay at and also they have great food. Copper Center Roadhouse.