Ferry to Valdez..or not..?

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry to Valdez..or not..?

Hello All:
we are going for 2 weeks trip and wondering whether to take the ferry to Valdez from Whittier or not..!! I love driving and time is not an issue. My question is: Does the ferry trip worth the cost (we four and a car costs about $300). So wondering whether to spend that money in kayak or boat tours..!! If it is scenic ferry trip, I don't mind spending the $$ and going for the kayak too. Any advise..!!

my plan is to drive from Denali (thru fairbanks to Valdez and drive back to Anchorage). If your recommendation is to ferry..I'll go to Whittier from Denali, and take the ferry.

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 09:04 PM

We did the driving loop, and didn't take the ferry. But it's not worth making the loop through Fairbanks unless you can overnight along the route somewhere.

I wish we'd have had time to spend a couple of nights in Fairbanks, but we only stayed one. And I wish we'd have left Denali after our shuttle/hiking and drove to Fairbanks for that night (we stayed another night in Healy).

We overnighted in Paxson, too, on the Richardson Hwy at the junction with the Denali Hwy. Excellent cabins owned by a college prof who's also a guide and wildlife expert. If you take the loop, make time to drive the 20 paved miles of the Denali Hwy. Breathtaking views of the Alaska Range.

The drive is not scenic from Fairbanks until you get to Delta Junction, then it gets so pretty. Different than any other parts of Alaska we saw.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:23 AM

I most always take the ferry. A wonderful look at Prince William Sound and definately worth the money in my opinion. Be certain, to allow TIME at destinations on this trip, in 2 weeks you can have some nice plans.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:04 AM

I agree with SpeedBuggy--don't drive to Fairbanks unless you can spend the night. North of Nenana we ran into road construction and basically the Parks Highway was closed to traffic both ways for about 30 minutes, not the kind of delay you want on a vacation. IMHO I would go from Denali south to the Glenn Highway, then east to Glenellen. We stayed at the Copper River Princess just south of Glenellen at their special rate and it was our cheapest accommodation in Alaska with one of the most beautiful views. Then, we traveled slowly to Valdez, stopping at Worthington Glacier, Blueberry lake, falls. We stayed two nights in Valdez, took the ferry to Whittier and flew home from Anchorage that night. The ferry ride was our gift to ourselves after two busy weeks in Alaska and after almost 2000 miles of driving.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your advise. I am planning to take the ferry and take the Glenn hwy. I am posting my proposed itenary for you review shortly (title: "My preliminary itenary - please advise")

thank you again.