Working for an airline

Search

Working for an airline

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Working for an airline

OK, since you have all been so helpful in my earlier thread today about Insistent Houseguests, can you provide some insight on this:

My daughter is a recent college grad. She does not want to work an 8-5 office/desk job. She is an on-the-go type, cheery, doesnt get ruffled. She is single and unencumbered. She is very well-traveled (international and domestic.) A good friend has been hounding her to apply at the airline where he has worked 20+ years; he is the station manager at very busy int'l airport. She went to the "interview" which actually sounded like it were the start of the hiring process.

Just how heinous is the job as a ticket/gate agent. I have seen Airline on TV (this job is not with Southwest) and traveled a ton. It looks like it can be just awful but she is attracted by the flight benefits and the fact that she will not be sitting in an office!

I haven't encouraged or discouraged her at this point but it looks like she will start working there in Sept and I am wondering if this is going to be hellish!

Anybody work at a busy airport before?
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:10 PM

My seatmate last week was a gate agent. She and her work buds were flying back from a shopping trip in Europe. I asked a question about the area and she looked around the plane and called "Hey Joe, come here!" Joe came up to our row and answered the question. He was a gate agent traveling for leisure that weekend too. She has a co-worker who flies up to NYC (from Phoenix) for dinner and a show and then flies home.

I never wanted to be a FA - although my mom pushed it for free travel. But, the woman clearly loved the perks of her job - and offered no complaints.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Star- My daughter may have gotten the travel bug from my mom who was one of the first ever "stews" for Bonanza Airlines in the early 1950's when flying was glamorous! My mom dearly loved that job but when she got married she was fired!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:00 PM
TheWeasel

You should encourage your daughter to read the threads on the Airline forum. She might reconsider an airline job after realizing she'll need to deal with these people every single day.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:15 PM

A friend's husband is a pilot for NW. She has worse flying benefits than I do, as a wife of a frequent flier.

Her husband can fly free with his family only on standby- and they can then only fly on those flights that have seats available. A paying passenger comes up, and their seats are gone. It seems every flight we fly on is a packed flight - it would be very hard to get on most flights. If a pilot is treated like this, I can only imagine how a gate agent's perks compare.

I can't think off the top of my head of where I see more consistently rude people than when I fly. Add the significant cut in pay and benefits most airlines have instituted, and I can't imagine it's much fun to work for an airline anymore. My friend's husband was handed a signficant cut in pay - she had gone back to work "for fun", but that job is permanent now; they need the $$$.

Old Aug 9th, 2006, 05:58 PM

Not no, but HELL no!
Entry level airline employees are not only underpaid they are also constantly about 1 day away from being laid off.
I used to be an AA employee... and I still work for a 'relative' so to speak.
If she loves travel I would suggest working in travel automation (like me) because it pays very well and I still have travel perks.
I have many friends in hotel sales that have great jobs. My friends work low end to high end properties and though everyone wants to 'upgrade' they all love what they do.
The travel industry usually involves lots of hours, work travel that can be tedious and the persistant issue of layoffs.
But most of us who do it for a living would not trade it for anything else!
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM

In my senior year of college, I worked for both People Express and Continental. It was a great deal of fun and I traveled something like 80,000 miles my senior year. (I swear, I went to class too) Hawaii for 2 days, London for a night, New Orleans for Happy Hour, Boston for lunch, LA for a football game, etc. I don't know what other places are like, but there were always people looking for someone to head off somewhere. (Most of us were in our early 20's)

The travel part is definately a perk, though as the airlines are cutting seat capacity, maybe less of a perk than it might have been at one-time. (Especially for family members like you.)

If she's young and can enjoy the travel, it could be a fun job - for a few years. But, the reality of the industry is that most of their employees don't get paid particularly well.

The old economic model doesn't work and so what you've seen is continued roll-backs of employee salaries and benefits. (Delta just cancelled its pilots pension plan, for example.) Certainly someone at 22 isn't thinking about that but eventually that reality does impact ones life.

I dealt with plenty of jerks when I was there but most people - other than the drunk who took a swing at me - went on their way with few problems.

It certainly could be a fun job for someone young and adventurous for a few years. After that, if having more financial assets becomes important to her, not sure this is the industry where one can still expect to be paid at levels above the national average.
Old Aug 9th, 2006, 06:56 PM

I would recommend that she look into working for an incentive travel company. She would get to travel extensively - meet lots of people. Incentive travel / large event management companies are always looking for young, hardworking, upbeat college grads.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:18 AM

As an ex airline employee, I would say "forget the perks, they are so few and far between". You should love to the job because of the job, not because of potential perks. I think as time goes on the perks are becoming less and less IMO. It wasn't an American company I worked for so I cannot speak with any knowledge about your countries airline perks, but working as a hostie for Qantas it was rubbish. I would rather buy a ticket and know I had a seat than sit at the airport with a sick feeling in my stomach hoping that I would get on the flight. There is no pleasure in that.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:09 AM

While flying standby can be precarious it can still get you WONderful places. We have flown first class to Europe several times--and domestically. When flying standby you have access to the airline flight loads so you know your chances of making a flight and you try to choose something else. I don't know that being a gate agent would be my choice however.
Also, the standby status is related to seniority of employment. So maybe the pilot was a relatively new hire.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:12 AM

Only if she wants to be underpaid and underappreciated should she even conside this. the travel perks are not worth it. she could get a real job and be able to afford to travel.
An ex travel industry employee
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:20 AM

Gretchen, there are a few airlines that have a first come/first served (based on the priority).
I usually fly D2, which is standard employee FC/FS stand-by.
We are allowed a limited number of D1 flights, which put us ahead of the D2.
Parents of employees fly D2P, which comes after D2 but before D3, which are extended family and friends.
No matter what your priority, it is FC/FS within each level... it is not based on seniority.
I have 2 kids flying next Tuesday, D1.
They will have the highest standard status and have a good shot.
My sister goes with me on business trips all the time, D3 and has never had a problem.
For me, it is benefit that would be valued at 5k per year.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 06:58 AM

Unless she has some specific profession in mind she should try it. That's the reason for first jobs - to find out what the real world/job market is really like - andhow much you're willing to put up with for what benefits.

Only she will know if the aggravation is worth the benefits - and the low pay.

Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:32 AM

My husband works for the airlines and LOVE the perks!! yes, standby is a bitch but hey, when you fly first class for NOTHING! I am not complaining..We go everywhere and it's all free. We have access to look at the airline flights-how many seats left on the flight,etc.same terminal as you would see through a major airport.. it works for us.Plus 50 percent off hotels.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 07:33 AM

dont get me wrong an entry level pos. is hardwork too! and people can be awful.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Most airlines do not offer FREE flight benefits for employees. These benefits are reserved for employees with years of service under their belt.
Hotels for 1/2 half? Only sometimes... these special airline discounts are heavily yielded by hotels and generally not available during times of high occupancy.
Perks are good but they are best for people with flexible schedules and ample time off benefits.
For example, if you are an airline employee that decides to go standby for 'lunch' in San Diego... fun time, everyone is happy. You have to work the next morning but what the hell, you will be back the night before.
Flight loads look great. Life is good.
Reality check (true story)...
You arrive and have a great lunch. You swing by TJ to pick up some cheap Retin-A and head to the airport.
You check in and head for the gate where you notice a LONG line. What the...
Oh crap, a Delta flight to DFW was cancelled for mechanical problems and the passengers have been reaccomodated to the AA flight.
NO stand-by passengers will get on this flight AND it is the last flight to DFW.
Bummer. You are going to be in trouble because THIS is not an acceptable reason to NOT show up for work. You panic. You try to get on the ORD flight with hopes of making a connection... no luck. The DL passengers are on that flight too.
You pay for a flight to LA or somewhere else so you can try to get to DFW your scheduled work time.
You finally get a flight to Houston on Continental for 385.00 (a bargain) and sleep at the Houston airport. You then hop the 630am AA flight, arriving at DFW with 90 minutes to spare before your shift starts.
Fun.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:50 PM

Depends upon the airline. My wife has worked for an airline for over 17 yrs. This airline does go by senority. In the past, we have travelled all over the US & Europe, as standby employees.

But within about the last year it has been harder & harder to have standby seats available to employees, with flight cutbacks, & discount purchases such as priceline, there are less seats, if any available to employees now. Even with cutbacks & layoffs of the employees, less seats are still available. Some flights & some destinations are better than others, but you really have to watch it. Last June, we & a number of other employees got stuck in LA. Between using both LAX & Orange county airports, there were almost 15 - 20 flights out of that area in 1 day. An employee that had senority from 1966 finally got on 1 of the flights. & later, a couple with more than over 25 yrs got on. 1 flight had only 1 seat left so a couple split up so 1 of them could get back. That was it. Next day, (after spending the night in the airport) was no better. Finally purchased tickets (the last seats available for those flights) on a different airline for 2 days after that. Those were the first seats available on that airline for paying customers.
If somebody with higher seniority walks up, you get pushed down the list, even if you have already been waiting 3 flights or more. Flight benefits are getting less usable. If willing to take a chance & try it, & put up with the hassles, give it a try.
One of the things you learn to do, if not already doing it, is to learn how to pack light with carry-on luggage so that if you do not get on a flight, you can maybe try another or a close-by destination; or if you give up all together on getting to where ever, the luggage you checked can go on without you & then what? But then you will have to also deal with comments that show up on here about selfish people who use carry-ons. (Of course carry on luggage right now is being greatly limited.)
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Oh, yeah... currently there are dozens of AA employees in Europe that cannot get home because AA cancelled flights due to the new screening process.
On 9/11 my sister in law was stuck in Canada (we live in TX) and had to stay a few days THEN ended up driving home.
S--- happens and everything from mechanical problems ON OTHER AIRLINES, weather, terrorist threats and weight restrictions impacts stand-by travel.
Yes, you get used to it but I would not get into a minimum wage job for the benefits. AA pays CRAP for entry level gate and res agts.
Get a job that pays more and pay for your air travel.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 04:56 PM

Yes - we all know that. But if those just starting out don;t experience and learn for themselves how will they ever develop the capability to make better choices - that will make THEM - not us - happier.
Old Aug 10th, 2006, 05:15 PM

I just don't want this young lady to have any illusions of the benefits.
And things have not been getting better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -