Please Help with my 9 Day NY Itinerary! Suggestions Welcome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2011, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay so initially it was two friends and I heading to NY for the first time this summer, but now I have been informed my 54 year old mother and 50 year old aunt are heading on 'their own trip', which I am pleased to hear! I would like to incorporate things that we can all do together and things both me and friends can do alone too. My aunt is a very independent well traveled lady so they will be fine on their own!
So here is my Itinerary so far, which im extremely open to any help and tips given! Please do!
Obviously the things with * are optional and advice needed =)

Wens 13th of July
- Arrive at JFK from Ireland at about 1:00pm American Time
- Get 2 taxi's or may order Limo from Carmel before we leave
- 3pm Check in at the Omni Berkshire @ 21 East 52nd Street, Midtown area
- Get something to eat and walk around midtown area for the evening, times square etc
- *Harry Potter Exhibit and/or Madame Tussaud's and i've decided to get a NY Pass just for convenience and because of a discount and sale, I got a competitive price for them so we will collect them at Planet Hollywood before these! And head back to hotel to get sleep early enough!

Thurs 14th of July
- Top of the Rock first thing and Rockefeller Center
- Either Gossip Girl Tour @12 till 3:30 (with the girls obviously) or Bryant Park for Summer Broadway Shows with Mum (depends on line up!)
- *TKTS booth in Times Square in the evening @ around 5pm
- *If no Show, Radio City Tour

Fri 15th
- Leaving this open - Suggestions
- *Ballet at the Lincoln @ 8:00pm (I was going to book it yesterday but I said id wait to see what the experts say!)

Sat 16th
- Port Authority Station and Jersey Garden for the day (Whole Gang)

Sun 17th
- The Met @ 9:00 (Opening 9:30 - Whole Gang) Straight to Alexander McQueen's 'Savage Beauty' and then exploring the rest of the museum especially the parts designed by architect Kevin Roche as my uncles wife, is his niece.
- *I think i'm heading to 'How to Succeed' alone @ 3pm which doesn't leave enough time in the museum
- *Harbor Lights Cruise

Mon 18th
- Chrysler Building
- *Ford Foundation building (Kevin)
- *UN Building (Another Kevin Roche)
- Grand Central Station
- *Train to Coney Island with the Gang if really sunny
- *Bryant Park Festival at night

Tues 19th
- Up Early and Metro to City Hall
- Century 21 @ around 8:00am
- Ground Zero (Tour or not?)
- *Irish Memorial Museum
- Battery Park
- Staten Island Ferry
- Wall St
- Metro across to DUMBO
- *TKTS
- Walk Brooklyn Bridge back

Wens 20th
- Walking through many areas eg Chelsea, Hells Kitchen, Meat Packing. Suggestions =)
- Farmers market? Advice?
- High Line
- Hair @ 8pm in St. James Theater, 246 West 44th Street

Thurs 21st
- MoMA
- Central Park *and lunch/bunch at the Boathouse.
- *Zoo
- *Bryant Park (again depending on line up)
- NY Public Library
- Shopping in the evening
- I want a really nice, maybe expensive fancy restaurant where we can all go for Dinner so suggestions please if you may

Friday 22nd
- Our flight home isnt until 18:30 so what time should we leave the city together at on this Summer Friday evening?

All help/tips truly appreciated. I understand it is a very very packed schedule so please help me eliminate things if necessary and more importantly add things in if I have forgotten or dont know about something worth visiting! Good luck and thanking you

One Last Quick Question; Do I have to book things that I hope to attend to with my NY City Pass? eg Harbor Lights Tours, Radio City or Top of the Rock

THANK YOU
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 09:51 AM

A couple of notes. Don't bother with TKTs - it will take time from your vacation and reuslts are uneven. If yuo go to broadwaybox.com in advance you can see which shows have discounts and order tickets in advance - better choice of seats and esp important if more than 2 people want to sit together.

the zoo in Central park is very small - the real one is in the Bronx. Don;t know if it's worth your time.

Coney Island is an hour from nidtown by subway - and is VERY old fashioned. Think 1940s - not a modern amusement area. I wouldn;t waste time unless you want a real day at the beach - and then would take th LIRR/bus to Jones Beach - which is gorgeous (nt tacky).
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Yeah I have bought 'Hair' tickets on BroadwayBox and probably will buy 'How to Succeed' but I though if I was passing the booths in Brooklyn or South Seaport or even in Times Square in the evening I could see if I could get another one in or maybe a play. I will not wait in lines as time is such an issue. I will be more than content with 2 anyway as 'Hair' is my fave musical of all time! Thanks you =)

Yeah, really we just want a day to beach in America, as its all out first time. How far away is Jones Beach and if you dont mind me asking what is the LIRR/bus?, and from where could we get this? Thank you, this is really appreciated.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:26 AM

Try to include seeing Anything Goes in your itinerary.

It's a 1934 Broadway classic by Cole Porter in a dynamite revival and includes many great songs you'll leave the theater humming: "You're the Top," "It's de-Lovely," "Blow, Gabriel, Blow," "I Get a Kick Out of You," "Easy to Love," and, of course, the title song, which features an eight-minute tap routine that will knock your socks off!

Quintessential Broadway, and not a cable, chandelier, explosion, body double, etc., to be seen.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you bspielman, Yes Anything Goes is another one of my faves. But its seems to only be sold on BroadwayBox in groups with other musicals. I doubt there will be any tickets at the TKTS booth so il have to see. Thanking you =)
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:35 AM

Re ballet on July 15, the Mariinsky Ballet is performing "Carmen Suite" and "Symphony in C" that night at 8. Tickets are available online at http://bit.ly/jimTwz.

"Carmen Suite" has music, based on the Georges Bizet original, by Rodion Shchedrin, a contemporary Russian composer. It is scored entirely for strings and percussion and is a terrific piece of music on its own, completely aside from the ballet. "Symphony in C" is danced to music, unaltered, by Bizet.

I'd recommend going.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 11:49 AM

Just got back from a 9 day trip to NYC. Here are some thoughts:

One of the first things you should do at the airport is get a 7 day subway/bus pass and use it heavily.

If you go to the Met to see the Alexander McQueen exhibit, get there as early as possible. We were able to cut to the front of the line because we had membership cards, when we came out, the line extended through three adjacent rooms. It was very packed in the exhibit, but well worth seeing.
There is also a sculpture exhibit on the roof, as special photography exhibit, and an exhibit on guitars.

See the Ai Weiwei sculpture exhibit in front of the Plaza Hotel. Check out the rose sculptures on Park Avenue between 57th and 67th and the giant teddy bear in front of the Seagram's building at Park Ave and 53rd street. There is a sculpture exhibit at City Hall Park and a single sculpture in Madison Square Park as well.

The Library at Bryant Park has a centennial exhibit from their collection.

Be sure to get off the subway at 8th Avenue and 14th street (A & C) to see the permanent sculpture display by Tom Otterness. Go up from the platform to the upper level and walk over to the platform for the L train so you see everything.

If you are interested in tours, check Big Onion Tours. They have a couple of different walking tours every day. Their guides are very knowledgeable. You can find details on line.

We did both the Bronx Zoo and the Botanical Garden. If you exit the north end of the zoo,it's a half mile from the there to the entrance to the garden.
You could also go to the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. The 2 train stop by the Brooklyn Art Museum which is adjacent to the gardens.

If you are just going to ride the Staten Island Ferry over and back, it will take you an hour for the round trip.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 05:22 PM

Jones Beach is a state park about an hour from the city. You get there by going to Penn Station, taking the Long Island Railroad and then a bus directly to the main section of the beach (they have 9 different parking areas). The main area has a boardwalk but none of the tacky junk you find at Coney island - no games or rides or whatever. Just a very broad beautiful white sand beach open to the North Atlantic (with the water temps that implies). Often there are sizable breakers and if there has been a storm at sea there can be a major undertow. Only go past the breakers if you are a strong swimmer - and be sure there is a lifeguard at the beach.

In the off season these beaches can get seals and there is good fishing in the bay behind the beaches and highway. You will see people getting on the train with beach umbrellas, folding chairs, baskets of food and even surf boards (although waves usually aren;t high enough).

If you want a honky tonk boardwalk with tacky games, bad food stands and a small beach with people and blankets elbow to elbow - then you want Coney Island.
Old Jun 1st, 2011, 05:26 PM

I am going to be perfectly blunt, I think your schedule is filled events that are not using NY even to its half capacity.

Harry Potter, Madame Tussaud, Gossip Girl, Coney Island, Harbor Cruise are all things manufactured fun. We get over 45 million visitors a year and there is a reason for thatand those things should be at the bottom of the list.

And there are thousands of unique stores plus chains and are you heading for a mall in New Jersey.

Sorry, but I just thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

BTW, I am not sure you will granted entry to the Ford Foundation building and it is just a block from the UN.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

bspielman Thank you for your recommendation, I will book it now.
KenF Thank you all your thoughts and ideas too. Yes we hope to go the the Met first thing, maybe even a half an hour before opening, Thank you again.
nytraveler, Thank you so much for all your knowledge. I do admire 1940's American history as history is what I study in college and I think that is what the general attraction is to Coney Island. But all in all we just want a trip to the beach as my mother and aunt will never be in the US again. Thank you for helping me decide. And the travel routes etc =)

Aduchamp1, Thank you for your honest advice. But if you notice all the things you have mentioned as pointless, have a * next to them and if you read the opening paragraph you would see that I am unsure about them and I am asking for advice and help.
You call the Harbor Cruise manufactured fun, which it probably is, but in reality you still get to see the lights of NYC at night, which seems pretty spectacular to me! But then again I am a first time traveler and you live in NY! =)
My two best friends are Gossip Girl obsessed and are insisting on the tour, as I have stated above I may skip it, as im not too keen!
And regarding the entry to the Ford Foundation, this aspect is covered!
I want to make this the best experience I can for those whom are traveling with me therefore please, if my schedule is filled with events and places that are not using NY even to its half capacity then inform me, if you want, on what I should see in the short space of time that I am in the City. Thank you again though =)
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 06:41 AM

There are two ways to view Manhattan at night that are worthwhile.

One is from the promenade in Brooklyn Heights. This is the shot that is most often seen in movies and TV shows and there is wonderful residential architecture plua interesting stores and resaturants on Atlantic Avenue.

The other way is to take the Staten Island which is free. If you stay on the right side going out and on the left coming back you will have a spectacular of the Statue of Liberty. And on the return trip from Staten Island if you go to the front of the boat, you will see the lights of Manhattan grow as you approach. Very dramatic.

I grew up near Coney Island and it sounds more romantic than it is in reality. It always been honky tonk and for a first time trip to NYC the amount of time on the subway and the reward are limited.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:24 AM

I'll disagree with Aduchamp and say that the Harbor Lights cruise will be well worth the time for your group of visitors from another country. The Staten Island Ferry does not pass the midtown area nor pass under the East River bridges as the Harbor Lights cruise does. This is a sight that can be seen only in NYC, so worthwhile for visitors.

Madame Tussaud's, however, can be seen in any city where one exists. Can't imagine it does much to reflect the nature of NYC. If you must use a NY Pass (which I don't recommend), the Intrepid might be the more unique experience. Or the Museum of the City of New York would give you an historic view of the city as well as the experience of another part of the city and northern Central Park—the Conservatory Garden and Harlem Meer are just across the street.

I think it will be worthwhile for you to visit the Irish Hunger Memorial. It can be a quick visit, and will also take you to the riverfront promenade along the Hudson River, a relatively newly developed series of parks.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:37 AM

Since nobody else has discussed it, I'll mention the Irish Hunger Memorial (not a museum) near Ground Zero. Here's a good summary of it:

http://www.nyc.com/arts__attractions...al_review.aspx

I went there in memory of my gr-gr-great-grandfather, who arrived in the US on a Famine Ship in 1849. If, like millions of Americans, you have Irish heritage similar to that, it may well be meaningful to visit. If not, perhaps not. I consider it important to remember WHY one-eighth of the Irish population came to the US in less than a decade, some others may not care.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 09:41 AM

I always recommend the Greenwich Village food tour. This is a beautiful area - very fun to walk around and try the food at little shops and bakeries. We did the Chinatown tour as well.

http://www.foodsofny.com/greenwichvillage.php

If you're looking for a non-tourist restaurant near Times Square, we really liked Dafni for Greek food. It's affordable and had good food and service.

http://dafnitaverna.com/

Maybe I overlooked it? Are you going to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island? We enjoyed those.

If you have a group of girls, you might enjoy going to Serendipity for dessert; it's been featured in several movies - famous for the frozen hot chocolate and ice cream sundaes.

We also loved Avenue Q. It's off Broadway now. If you ever watched Sesame Street and love irreverent humor, you would enjoy it.
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

@ PaulRabe: Emm I am actually Irish myself, born and raised and now still living here. Also I study History in College too so obviously I have an interest in it and I have studied this topic in detail, but not all my group are keen - i'll try some serious convincing now, thanks. Whoops sorry I thought it was a museum too. Thank you!

@ ellenem Thanks, I agree, I think I will do the Harbor Lights tour and leave Madame Tussaud's out completely.
Sorry I already bought the NY Pass, I got a good discount and they are really just for convenience! Thank you again!

Aduchamp1 If you read my itinerary I am doing both those ventures during the day and I dont see the point in doing again at night when i can sit on the boat for free and do the tour.

volcanogirl Thank you for both your food and tour's advice! Yes you read correctly, unfortunately we are not doing Lady Liberty and Ellis Island. All the groups member's and I decided against it, as it take too long and its not included in the NY Pass. We didnt feel it was worth it as we pass by it on the Staten Island Ferry. Thank you again
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 11:35 AM

First off from a second generation Irishman I say "Welcome to New York"!!

Aduchamp1 and volcanogirl have given you great input.

I will add a few tidbits. Jones Beach is a lovely beach but will take up the full day!

I am not familiar with the NY Pass but it sounds like you have a free tix for the boatride.......Take it! City is so nice looking in from the rivers.

Jersey Gardens is a mega mall that is so UNLIKE NYC. But the euro is so good now against our weak dollar so......Shop till you drop!(just remember most products are "Made in China"!

One good tip is to bring a good pair of walking shoes. The people watching will be a great hightlight!

slante!
Old Jun 2nd, 2011, 05:07 PM

Just one note about the weather - NYC in the summer can be pleasant or it can be hellishly hot an humid (as in 100 degrees and very high humidity). Be prepared to switch your activities from one day to another based on the weather - if it's really hot you will want to spend most of your time indoors in the AC. Also - be sure you're well-hydrated at all times - carry a small water - since it's not that difficult to fall victim to the heat if you're not used to it.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 09:15 AM

I totally understand your interest in outlet shopping (especially given the value of the euro versus the dollar) but....would suggest you look at a bus trip to Woodbury Commons versus Jersey Gardens. The selection of stores (imho) at WC is much better. Look at www.goldstar.com for info on the bus tours. They usually have a link to a good deal.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM

"- Port Authority Station and Jersey Garden for the day (Whole Gang)"

I know the PA fascinates non-NYorkers, but unless you are in the mood to smell homeless urine, getting hit on by hookers, or need to go to the bathroom, dont bother.
It's full of baggers, hobos, drug dealers, pimps, etc.
BTW, why not take a ride to Atlantic City?! You get $35 back from Taj.
PS: Visit the Intrepid ship.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 07:24 PM

"and is VERY old fashioned. Think 1940s - not a modern amusement area."

Wrong! It's all new rides now down there. Best rides I've seen in 25 years of going there. The old Astroland is gone. Replaced by real scary fun rides.
Yes, some people want to see the old style, 40's, Coney Island. But it's gone.
BTW, if you want modern amusements go to Great Adventure(6 flags).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -