Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please Help/OakGrove/Emory/Repeat Fodors Customer!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again. I posted on 9/24/05 seeking help with relocating form Greenville,SC to
Atlanta. My husband has already started his new job at Emory and lives there during the week. I'm holding down the home front
until the end of the school year and my 6th grade son and I will join him then.
I would greatly appreciate some feedback on what I have learned thus far, and what I have yet to try and sort out, hopefully with your help! What I've learned:
1. Live inside perimeter for hubby's sanity.
2. Expect to pay $399,000+ for a 1960's brick ranch next to a brand spankin' new million dollar home and send your 12 yr.old son to a less than average performing, and very "diverse" public school. (Because after you settle for your 1960's brick rancher in order for your hubby to be at the family dinner table, you won't be able to afford a private school.)
Here's What I need to knowand yes I'm working with a relo agent, who has never had any children)
1. OakGrove seems to be a neighborhood of choice near the Emory area. Does anyone here have any specific input on this neighborhood? I visited LakeSide Highschool
and Henderson Middle. I know it is in a "transition" period and is suppose to have a superb principal, a new focus, and a very involved PTSA.
2. Would Sandy Springs or Dunwoody be an area that would offer better school/housing
options, and still prevent a white knuckle,
profanity slinging commute?

You know, I have accomplished many things in my life. I'm not easily daunted, always view the glass as half full. However, I am
really finding this move a challenge to get a grasp on. Would love and be forever indebted to anyone whocan offer good sound advice, or knows someone I could call or
e-mail.
Thank you and Bless all you fellow Fodorites!

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 10:58 AM

Hello. I did not see your previous post. I live in the area you are talking about. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have as best I can. As far as Dunwoody, I'm not clear on what you'd expect to gain from being there, rather than in the Oak Grove/Emory area. It's a nice area, but I don't think the public schools are going to be any better than Oak Grove/Lakeside. And the housing prices are going to be just as bad if not worse. I hate to post my email address on an open forum. Is there a way we can exchange that info privately on this board?
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Dear Sooosally,
I don't know if there is a way to exchange e-mails privately or not, but at this point I am willing to take the chance just to get someone's input!

Thank you, thank you, thank you....
My e-mail is :[email protected]
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 12:06 PM

I'd be more than willing to help out with ATL advice as well. I've been here 10 years, and am in the process of figuring out where to move in ATL, now that I have a 3 year old son, so schools are going to be a big factor for me as well. I also work intown, so proximity to work is a huge thing for me, as the commuting in Atlanta is hellish, and like you said, I'd like to be home in time for dinner.

If you're seriously willing to spend up to 400K for a home, I have to think that you'd be able to find something in the Inman Middle School district, which is Virginia-Highlands, Morningside, Midtown...

There is also an area of Druid Hills, which has ranch homes in the 275-400K range, which is in the Fernbank Elementary district (not sure about Middle/High Schools)...which is a possibility.

You're welcome to email me at [email protected] with any questions...maybe we can help each other out!

Old Nov 1st, 2005, 12:42 PM

While Oak Grove is an excellent elementary school and Lakeside has a pretty good reputation, the middle school is not as good. I don't think you want to be in Henderson. A friend just called me last week trying to find a private school that will take a 6th grader mid-year. Apparently, it's that bad, and they're devastated after having a great experience at Oak Grove.

Inman Middle is much better. Try looking in the Morningside/Virginia Highland neighborhoods. Hubby would have an easy commute.

You should also investigate the Decatur middle schools as the commute is easy and there's housing you can afford.

Sandy Springs would be a tough commute because it's either all local streets or going across I285 in tons of traffic. Dunwoody might be a bit better just because you're on the other side of the 400 traffic at that point.

I think you ought to look in the Brookhaven/Oglethorpe Univ./Chamblee Tucker Rd. area. I don't know what middle schools are in that area but it's worth investigating. It's the area just north of I85 across the interstate from the Briarcliff/Emory area. The commute would be sane and the housing in is your price range (I don't mean Brookhaven across from the Capital City Club but the area that's out Ashford Dunwoody Rd.)

You and your son need to come down to Atlanta to visit any middle schools that you consider before you buy a home. It's worth having him miss school to find the right fit.

Finally, wouldn't your son make a better adjustment if he moved during the school year when he can make friends immediately by being in school (where there's also activities, teams and clubs to join right away.)? If you wait until the school year is over, he may have a difficult time meeting anyone until school starts. I know it's tough to leave his life behind mid-year but it might be better in the long term.

Good luck.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Toddler: I just need to make sure no one else misunderstood and thinks we
WANT to live in a 1960's rancher! Again, no offense to anyone who does.
We just happen to live in a nice, new,
fairly large house in a super neighborhood with a relatively low mortgage payment. Right now it seems
like with if we live inside 285 we will be trading DOWN in quality/ style of house, while at the same time spending 2x the money. A very depressing thought. I'll stop ranting now, I think everyone gets it!

Based on literally countless hours on the computer, and reading the Education Guide, you will have no problem finding great public elementary schools for your child. The middle schools are falling way behind in general, and the highschools are doing a little better, depending on where they are.
Feel free to correct me anyone, if you know differently.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

PaAdams: I did visit Henderson Middle School last week, as well as Lakeside.
The report I got from two parents and the school choir director at Henderson Middle is that things have inmproved drastically in two years.
Believe me, before this is over I will have entered every middle and highschool in Atlanta!
I would never move my son mid year.
It's going to take me the rest of the school year to research the schools!
besides, the hope is to find a neighborhood with kids his age that he can meet and get to know during the summer before going to a new school.
No time is a good time to change schools when you are 12 yrs. old.
The fact that he is moving to the home place of his two favorite sports teams is a plus! His dream since age 5 is to pitch for the Braves!