Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Possible relocation to Spartanburg or near Charlotte NC- advice please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
My husband and I might be relocating to Spartanburg for his job. We are from Boston and have lived in NYC and London briefly though aside from that I have lived near Boston my entire life. We don't have kids but may in the next few years. We enjoy the outdoors and would like access to museums, cultural activities, etc, and would like an area with other, younger couples.

I would appreciate advice on the Spartanburg area - am I in for a huge culture shock? Would Greenville be a better choice? If we lived outside of Charlotte, NC (in Gastonia, for example) would that be within commuting distance if my husband has a flexible schedule? I see from mapquest it would be about an hour (or more) - but how is the traffic from Charlotte to S'burg? Alternatively, how is the commute from Gastonia to Charlotte? Are there other nice areas outside of Charlotte that would work for an SC commute?

I've searched and read posts about Spartanburg and see that some people do not like it at all. Does it really have a very small-town, conservative feel (we are from MA after all!)? How are the public schools? I see there's only a few private schools in S'burg without "Christian" in the name (which is fine, but I just noticed it)... How are the hospitals?

I have friends and family who live in/around Atlanta and I recognize that the South can be a great place to live, so please no flames or yankee infiltrator comments. I'd just like honest answers and advice as I've never seen S'burg firsthand.
Thanks very much!
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:33 AM

I can't help you with all your questions, but I can tell you that a daily commute from Charlotte to Spartanburg is insane. Gastonia would get you closer, and traffic would be less, but it's still too far and Gastonia is largely a crime-ridden dump. You do not want to live there.

Check our Greenville - it's a more reasonable commute (though I'd still never do it) and it has some city charms.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 06:35 AM

And from the places you've lived in the past, anywhere near Spartanburg is going to be a culture shock. But life is what you make of it. Good luck.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:15 AM

Greenville would be a better choice--university with good programs. And this may be a bit of a culture shock. ON the other hand, you may find the people to be overwhelmingly nice. Spartanburg Day School is a good private school. However, SC schools have come a LONG way.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Oh God yes. I'm not saying you wouldn't grow to like it, but Spartanburg would be a shock to the system. Greenville is far superior to Spartanburg, IMO (and I was born and raised in S'burg county) and it's not a bad drive at all from G'ville to S'burg (about 30 min, maybe less), I'm not sure why Brian was adamant that he wouldn't do it. I suppose it depends what side of S'burg his job is on. Do you know?

Do you want to live "in town" or in a suburb or in a rural area? S'burg is close to the mountains, so if you wanted rural you could live closer to the NC line around Landrum and then do your weekend fun things in Asheville, NC which is a little cultural oasis in the mountains.

Now if you like the outdoors, living in upstate SC may be well worth it for the spectacular scenery of the VERY nearby mountains and the fantastic climate. Outdoor activities go year round here. I spend a lot of time bitching about how bad the cuisine sucks around here, but I would not live elsewhere because of the natural beauty and the climate.

Forget the Charlotte/Gastonia thing. I would rather live in S'burg than Gastonia.

Do not worry about the small town (if you're thinking Mayberry, it's not) conservative thing. Nobody cares what your politics/religion are. This has been beaten to death on this board. Most(but not all) of the private schools ARE Christian or Catholic...I think it's just because not so many people cannot afford private school w/ no subsidizing group. Public schools are not scary here...unless you have money to burn you should consider public.

If you wish to provide more specifics about your desires, I'll try to answer more specifically.
Old Feb 9th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Brian, Gretchen, and Litespeed_Chick.

I had mentioned Gastonia because my brother's friend grew up there and I thought it might be do-able. Judging from your comments, it doesn't sound like a good idea. I imagine the commute from Landrum NC to Charlotte would be long...

The potential job is located in the center of the Spartanburg, perhaps a little closer to the east side. I think we'd prefer to live in a suburb. We are used to 30+ minute commutes, so the drive from Greenville to Spartanburg does not sound too bad. Are there any nice areas in between the two cities that would work? How does the job market compare for S'burg? I do acadmic research right now but am also interested in marketing and advertising....
As for S'burg, my husband visited the area and neighborhoods like Andrews Farm or Converse Heights were mentioned. Is Greer a nice area?
Thank you SO much for your help - it is much appreciated!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:34 AM

If I were you given your interests and no kids I'd probably opt to live in a cool condo somewhere near Main St. in downtown Greenville. That way you can stroll Main Street in the evenings for dinner/drinks, go to the Thurs or is it Friday evening afterwork music in the street during the warm months, see a show at the Peace Center or BiLo and your husband would be able to hop on 85 pretty easily and be in Spartanburg in about 30 minutes - give or take.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:59 AM

Lily-

Most of the suburban development in Greenville is on the east side of town...in other words, toward Spartanburg. If you wanted to live in a Greenville suburb, that would be the most convenient for a drive to S'burg. Many of the sd's are near I-85, that would be critical in making your husband's commute quick and easy.

Greenville and Spartanburg are connected but I-85 and also by Hwy 29, which basically non-stop sprawl all the way. In between, towns named Welford, Lyman, Duncan, Taylors, and Greer are just all part of the conglomeration. Many of the "desirable" eastside neighborhoods have the address of "Greer".

Converse Heights is not a sd, but rather a very old and desirable neighborhood right in the center of S'burg, across from the Converse College. A lot of professors live there, as does Roger Miliken.

I would say the job market is about the same. Since you will be looking also, I think finding a home in between the two cities is a good plan in case you find something in G'ville.

And I agree completely w/ Leah. Greenville's downtown is really nice and if I didn't prefer living in the country I would be in one of those downtown condos like a shot.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks yet again for the great information. Looking for something in between the two cities sounds ideals - but those condos in downtown Greenville sound great, too! Are there any realtors or real estate firms that are particularly good?
Thanks for the advice and suggestions -it is very much appreciated!
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:03 AM

I have an acquaintance who is a cameraman w/ local TV in Greenville and he and his wife live in one of the "new" old condos which is a rehabbed building - probably more like a loft. They have a new baby and loved the convenience to shops, restaurants and night life and like taking new baby in the stroller down Main St.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I used to live in Boston, and moving South is definitely a shock - however, most people who move down here from the North adjust and find that they have a higher quality of life.
Greenville is a great area to live - my husband and I would love to relocate there (we're in the Charlotte area). It's very affordable, has a great atmosphere, and is very up-an-coming.BMW has a facility in Spartanburg which has fueled a "boom" in Greenville. Many upscale restaurant chains are beginning to appear (P.F. Chang's) and there is great shopping. The Downtown area is a great place year-round, but definitely during the summer when several streets are shut-down to allow pedestrians to roam and enjoy the bands, shops, restaurants, and sense of community.
If you would like a realtor's name, my best friend is one and has lived in Greenville most of her life. Please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions. Good luck!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 09:33 AM
GoTravel

I also highly suggest a condo/loft in downtown Greenville.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Take a look at www.bookends.us and www.greatergreenville.com. Downtown Greenville is a happenin' place these days -- would it be too much to say a South Carolina Coolidge Corner?
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 05:46 AM

Well, this maybe a little late, but I feel compelled to tell Brian in Charlotte that Gastonia is NOT a crime-ridden dump that he suggested. You are delirious! Charlotte is where I wouldn't want to live!!!

I moved to Gastonia from Atlanta last year, and glad to leave that crime-ridden dump. Gastonia is still lost in time, fish camps, down to earth red necks, horse farms and yuppies.

I certainly would choose carefully where I decide to live, and not base it on the culture of restaurants available. There isn't much here in Gastonia, but Charlotte sees culture in NASCAR, and professional sports.

Its going to be a culture shock no matter where you go, unless its Atlanta which isn't a southern city at all. I was raised in PA, spent several years in the USAF, and have enjoyed many years in cities along the eastern and western coasts.

If hubby works in S'burg, it sounds like G'ville is your best bet. Trust me, someone who spends too much time in traffic is not pleasant after an hour drive.

Best of luck to you Lily. It will be different, but hopefully you will come to love the south the way I have. Get ready to slow down.

Old Mar 17th, 2006, 06:03 AM

GG - I'm not sure what your post is all about but let me assure you that many of us could care less about NASCAR or the pro sports teams here in Charlotte. On the whole Gastonia has a 'less than admirable' reputation. I'll leave it at that. Atlanta is a horror, I agree. Just please don't generalize & stereotype, it is a very dangerous thing. I have the ability to take my children to Imaginon & Discovery Place as well as theatre productions very near to where I live. I would hate to have to truck in from Gastonia to do that...