Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please help my mother plan her SF visit...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:15 AM
meg

My mother, who is in her 70s, in good health and adventuresome, will be staying at the Mark Hopkins hotel on Nob Hill for four days at the end of March (Wed.- Sun.) She would love to gather some ideas for activities during her visit. She would be walking or using public transportation and is also interested in suggestions for particular tours of the city as well as any areas to avoid as a single woman. Thanks so much. -- Mary and Anne in FL

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 11:10 AM
Susan

SF hotels usually have brochures showing art galleries, many of which will be in her area.
If she likes to shop, there are many stores around Union Square.
Also, she could take a cable car to Fisherman's Wharf (touristy). There's also Gheredelli (sp?) Square & Pier 39 (touristy).
Golden Gate Park has a wonderful arboretum & Japanese tea garden but getting there could be a problem.
Also, there's MOMA (the Museum of Modern Art) which should be of interest.
She should avoid upper Market Street and the area around the public library (mentally ill/homeless in profusion).
Maybe she would enjoy some kind of day tour (like Greyline). Check with the hotel concierge.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 12:26 PM
r.nelson

A wonderful day trip is the Muir Woods. An incredible park set in a Redwood grove that defies description. I am sure you can book a tour on a bus (probably a 1 hour ride), on the way you cross the Golden Gate bridge, into Marin County, and then towards the coast. There are two nearby beaches, Muir Beach and Stinson Beach, don't know if the tours go there. The walk through the redwoods is very easy, on a well maintained trail. Dress in layers, as it is often foggy and chilly. If the weather is nice, on March 28th, when the moon is full there is a guided night hike through the woods. My wife and I have done this and it is truly a magical experience. Again I don't know if there will be tours to this event. Although often crowded, this is an area that shouldn't be missed.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 06:55 PM
rrr

I read here recently about a walking tour of chinatown - yum.

Old Feb 2nd, 2002, 09:23 PM
kam

She would love the Wokwiz tour of Chinatown that ends in a dim sum lunch. They are very careful not to take the steepest streets to the destinations and the tour is fine for a healthy 70 something year old woman. The guides are beyond charming and the rest of the people on the tour will become good companions. Look at www.wokwiz.com. I hope she has a great visit to our city.

Old Feb 3rd, 2002, 02:38 PM
mary

Thanks so much to all of you for taking the time to provide such thoughtful responses- my mom loves the suggestions and has already booked the walking/eating tour of Chinatown. Hearing about the city makes me want to plan my own trip. Thanks again from both of us... I'm so glad to have found this special website! Mary

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 09:25 PM
Kate

I agree with other posters about Muir Woods. There is a tour that can take her there without the need for public transportation. Blue & Gold Fleet does it via a boat from Pier 41 in Fisherman's Wharf area to Marin, then a bus coach to and from Muir Woods. Check www.blueandgoldfleet.com for schedules and prices.

The SF Public Library does free very interesting history walks of various neighborhoods of SF. Check www.sfguides.org, I think. It's called City Guides.

She would also probably enjoy Alcatraz. Day is good, night is better. If she has any mobility concerns, there is a tram on the Island that can take her up and down the hill from the dock to the Cellhouse.

The Japanese Tea Garden in Golden Gate Park is wonderful, I think.

Grey Line tours offers 1-hour or longer bus or trolley tours around the city. however, I heard they went into bankruptcy so no guarantees they'll still be around in late March. The hotel concierge will have info about those tours.

Kate

Old Feb 5th, 2002, 09:33 PM
suzanne kushner

Live in the Bay Area and frequently take tourists on the "trolly car" tours that run a fabulous tour in a "motorized" cable car. (They're run by Grayline, and we just took one two weeks ago - with 85 yr old grandmother who loved it.) Catch the cable car on either Union Square or on Pier 39. Highly recommend the Union Square location. Tour is 1-3 hours and you can get on and off as often as you like. Great for the $20 or so it costs and tour guides are generally "colorful" and do an excellent job. She's staying in a GREAT location, where she can take a genuine cable car right in front of her hotel.