Please help me with a reality check!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I have been doing, at this point, too much research for our spring break trip. I was investigating Puerto Vallarta, but after looking at costs, etc. ($600 per lowest airfare), I just can't rationalize spending that much. So I decided to look at Florida, which was actually my preference, but hubby was winning with the PV selection. So, we can fly to FL at $400s, with West Palm Beach being the best rate at mid $300s. Trying to play with airfare through Priceline, etc., won't happen due to our inflexibility with schedule, etc. The we is aforementioned husband and two children, 10 and 9.

We went to Amelia Island last year in early March, and it was cold (40 F one evening) and rainy, but we still saw much potential and my kids loved it. After reading posts here for the past several hours!!!!, I am pleading for help. Unfortunately, I seem to have champagne taste on a Bud Light budget. I looked at The Colony, Don CeSar and Longboat Key Resort, and I have no idea how people can afford these hotels in high season. Okay, so if we had to, we could afford $300 a night, but I appear to be unrealistic regarding what that can get you, much less $600 per night! We stayed at the Torrey Pines Lodge, San Diego, golf course view which is the more expensive view, for a week in July 2004. While it was beautiful, the service was fantastic, the spa was lovely, on and on, I still had a hard time with what we were spending for a well appointed, but not very large room. When we were visiting Amelia, we went to see the Ritz and it was fabulous. I loved the rooms which seemed very comfortable yet gorgeous and we saw a suite which is great when spending a week with the family. Would I pay $300 per night there, yes, but not $600.

So while I certainly need a reality check on what hotels cost (we have been to San Fran, San Diego, and Boston in the past six months so I thought I should know), I need your help in what to do. So here goes with our criteria:

a laid back, relaxing environ
GREAT food (very important-local chefs, fresh food)
safe, clean
on the beach hotel/resort with a great pool for the kids
nice beach for walking/playing
other activities, such as fun shopping, historical, artsy, etc.
golf for the hubby

Thank you for helping me! Oh, we will be going April 2 - 9, 2005.

Maybe I should change my screen name to want it all at little cost!

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:17 AM

High season is high season and it just stinks....so you have to look for alternatives.

Are you definately going to PV? There is a small town that you have to take a boat to called Yelapa. Surely not as expensive. Another place I've always wanted to go in the area is Majahuitas (spelling?).

Small hotels along the Mayan Riviera are always a good deal. Oops...or a large resort so your hubby can play golf.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:25 AM
GoTravel

A lot of the highrise condo buildings are run like hotels with pools, daily maid service, restaurants, etc. Most of these condos are individually owned but put on the property management rental list and booked like hotel rooms; you call and make a reservation.

Some people don't like to rent throught the property management company and will either rent through another agency or VRBO.com. You give up things like linens and daily maid service but you pay a much lower price.

Look up VRBO.com listings on Longboat Key and see what you can find. With a little diligence, you can find your champagne on a bud budget.

Also, call local real estate companies and ask for rental brochures or look these up on line.

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:29 AM
GoTravel

I did a quick check on VRBO.com and a two bedroom two bath condo on Longboat Key at Casa del Mar goes for $1,380 per week during March. That works out to be a little under $200 per night for a full condo.

Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:39 AM

If you'd consider something a bit off the usual places in Mexico, you might want to think about a resort called Huatulco. It's on the southwest coast in the state of Oaxaca.

The resort was developed by the Mexican tourism agency about 10 years ago and it simply never became as popular as they anticipated. But, they sunk a ton of money into the place. There are several spectacular hotels, a nice beach, several secluded bays with nice beaches, a great golf course, new highways, and a brand new airport.

At the Camino Real Zaashilla, which is a really nice hotel, you can get a Club Room with a private pool for $315 a night triple occupancy.

The upside is that the beaches and pool area are great, the outdoor activities are plentiful (fishing, golf, off-roading), and there are several good restaurants at the neighboring hotels and in a few nearby towns. The downside is that there isn't much culture and if you're looking for any kind of night life, it doesn't really exist.

I wouldn't say that this resort is for everyone. But, if you're comfortable in Mexico, want luxury at a reasonable price and are fine connecting through Mexico City, you might want to consider it.

http://www.camino-zaashila.com/
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 11:53 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I can see your dilemma because of champagne tastes on a beer budget. I'm a PV fan and regular so sorry to hear the airfare is prohibitive. It is a lovely town with great weather that time of year. In Puerto Vallarta you can still find hotels for $25USD per night! Although not quite fitting the description you seek -LOL.
Old Dec 30th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your suggestions. Due to airfare, we are going to just look at FL. GoTravel, do you know anything about Casa Del Mar condos? I went out to look at pictures. We would be okay with that as long as they are nice and clean. My sister and her hubby rented in Amelia for two months and their place was filthy...she is meticulous about research and spoke with referrals, etc., but....anyway, anyone know anything about Casa Del Mar? I called the Hilton at LBK and it was $320 per night - yikes!
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:22 AM

You sound like me - I've been driving myself (and husband a little) crazy with trying to find just the right hotel in the St Petersburg/St Pete Beach area for our Feb vacation. I've looked at the Don CeSar website several times trying to talk myself into spending that much but can't justify it.

Based on the criteria you listed, what about the Tradewinds Island Grand on St Pete Beach($189/night on hotels.com)? With kids, I think it might be a good bet for your family. Website tradewindsresort.com.

Good luck!
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 06:26 AM

Also, you may want to look at the Belleview Biltmore in Clearwater.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:03 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
We enjoyed our spring break trip to the Marriott Marco Island. It has everything you list but the price may be high. At the time we were able to get a construction price which was very reasonable. I'm sure though that that has ended.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 08:36 AM

Last year we stayed at St Pete Beach in a nice place called The Alden Beach Resort..
http://www.aldenbeachresort.com/

It is about a 20 minute walk on the beach from the Don Cesar. They have nice beach front with balconies, kitchen units, separate bedrooms, lots of room for the family. You can fly into Tampa or St Petersburg and be really close to St Pete Beach. They have a lot of beach activities....jet skee, parasail, dolphin boat trips, snorkel trips.....things like that.
Old Jan 1st, 2005, 09:18 AM

Hi Mosey,

We also stay at the Alden when vacationing St. Pete's Beach... clean, nice location, 1 BR gulf front rooms...
love the shore fishing and shelling on this beach... great vacation spot.