Please help me pick between 3 hotels

Sep 30th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Please help me pick between 3 hotels

My husband, two sons (13 & 10) and I are traveling to NYC for spring break, 2008. After reading extensively on this messageboard and others, I have narrowed our hotel to three - Doubletree Suites TS, Affinia Dumont, and The Blakely. My husband and I have been to NYC once before in 2001 and we stayed at the Marriott Marquis. I didn't really like the hustle and bustle of Times square, so I think the Blakely or the Affinia Dumont will be good choices. However, I think my boys would prefer Times Square action. I should add that my husband and I like a nice hotel with newer furnishings. Please help! Which hotel is the nicest (luxury, newer furnishings, location)?
Sep 30th, 2007, 02:43 PM

You've done great chosing. Next thing to consider is sleeping arrangements. Assuming you get a 1 bedroom suite at the Blakely, as I understand it, the living room only has a daybed for 1 person so you'd have to have 2 double beds in the bedroom and 1 boy would be in there. Don't know if that matters to you. If it doesn't, the Blakely is really close to TS for the boys, without being in the hubbub you experienced at the Marriott. I think the Affinia Dumont will give you more space. I know that they have some suites (both studio and 1 bedroom) with 2 queen beds and a queen sofabed.
Oct 1st, 2007, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for your insight. The kitchen at the Affinia Dumont looks a bit larger and we will be eating at least breakfast in; however, I love the granite and stainless steel at The Blakely! Is it as nice as it looks on thier website?
Oct 1st, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

I should also mention that I can book all three hotels at approx. the same price. So with that in mind - which is the best option? I appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Oct 1st, 2007, 11:51 AM

I don't know that there is a clear "best" among the 3. I think location is important and the kids will like the Doubletree (with potential for view since it's tall) you will like the Blakely location more and the Affinia Dumont is probably the most space.
Oct 1st, 2007, 12:05 PM

My boys are 10 and 12, and we've been to NYC a couple of times. I agree with McLaurie's opinion above.
Oct 1st, 2007, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your help. I think I'll go with The Blakely. Location is the best for us and it sounds like the room will be the nicest in terms of flat screen TV, newer furnishings, etc.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 04:55 AM

I stayed at the Blakely in summer 2005 and it was excellent. The location was wonderful. I was with 5 ladies in total and we got 2 adjoining rooms, so we had 4 queens and the day bed (one room was a suite)in total I don't remember getting that "sleek" new vibe though, as you may be thinking from your comment about granite and stainless steel. It was more of an English library feel, but very clean and comfortable. Good luck and have fun.