Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > PLEASE help - I can't decide between two NYC hotels!

PLEASE help - I can't decide between two NYC hotels!

Feb 5th, 2001, 09:26 AM
Vippie

PLEASE help - I can't decide between two NYC hotels!

Me, husband and 13-year old son will be making our second trip to NYC this summer. We LOVE to travel, LOVE New York, but we're cursed with being light sleepers and street and neighbor noise can take the bloom off a vacation for us. Stayed at the Mayflower last time -- park view, suite -- and it was quiet and beautiful and convenient. But the Waldorf Astoria is offering a great deal at a similar price for a concierge-level room (not suite) located on a high floor. It's very tempting to stay at the WALDORF for heaven's sake and live in the lap of luxury, be surrounded by the sights in that area, and do something different from last time, as well as take advantage of so many amenities; but my conservative, take-no-chances side tells me to stay at that comforting and safe dowager, the Mayflower. I'm considering making reservations at BOTH places and deciding at the last possible minute. What would YOU do???

Feb 5th, 2001, 10:54 AM
howard

Sure, it may be past its heyday, but the Waldorf is still the Waldorf. Go for it. Just picture you and the family walking thru that elegant lobby! IMO, the location is more conventient to things than the Mayflower.

Feb 5th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Beverly

As a New Yorker, I would say if you love NYC you will love saying you visited NYC, stayed at the Waldorf, right on Park Avenue! It's a different experience and isn't that what you come to NY for? Try it for a new perspective and something to brag about!

Feb 5th, 2001, 05:51 PM
gail

We had a great visit at the Waldorf last year. It was quiet in the "Staff Room" we booked. It looked inward at the hotel and roof itself and was not an incredible view, but a quiet one. Ask at the hotel about your concerns then you can relax and look forward to your visit.

Feb 6th, 2001, 07:24 AM
vippie

Thanks for encouraging me to do the Waldorf. I think I really want to anyway. Just wanted to see if anyone would say, "It's not what it's cracked up to be" or something similar...but it sounds like I should go for it!

Feb 6th, 2001, 08:06 AM
annK

Vippie, yes the Waldorf would be my suggestion as well. I have attended lots of meetings there and the lobby is beautiful. Staying on a high floor you should not have a problem with noise, especially at night, that area is quiet late at night.

Also there are alot of restaurants right in that area, from fast food to top of the line, and the other posters are right that it is an easy walk to the Theatre district or hop on the bus going west on 49th St.

Lots of shopping right in the area as well, try Daffy's on Madison at 44th or 45th.

Enjoy your stay in the city.

Feb 6th, 2001, 02:07 PM
jen

"It's not what it's cracked up to be"

Feb 7th, 2001, 05:13 AM
vippie

Jen, please tell me more! Why not?

Feb 7th, 2001, 10:35 AM
nikki

top-ness

Search this Thread