Maui and Kauai hotel questions

Feb 6th, 2001, 08:24 PM
Joy

Maui and Kauai hotel questions

We're going to Maui and Kauai in early December for our Honeymoon and debating about which hotels to stay in.
Any thoughts on:

Grand Wailea vs Four Seasons (Wailea) in Maui?
Hyatt Regency vs Marriott in Kauai?

Have heard there may be lots of kids at the Grand and wonder if it will be noisy, crowded there. Any truth to this?

Also any recommendations for our 1 night in Waikiki, a moderate hotel near the beach - on our way home?

THANKS!

Feb 6th, 2001, 08:35 PM
Jennifer

I would absolutely recommend the Hyatt
on Kauai. We stayed there this last
July and could not believe the grounds
and the pools. Our room was just perfect with a great view of the ocean. It's a lovely place with lots to do. Have a great time.

Feb 7th, 2001, 06:31 AM
karen

Definitely stay at the Hyatt Regency in Poipu in Kauai. It is a lovely hotel and the grounds are spectacular. Friends of ours were married at the Hyatt two years ago and they were treated wonderfully while on their honeymoon. Its location on Kauai's sunny shore is a good one, but be sure to travel to the North Shore of Kauai during your stay - extraordinary scenery, wonderful beaches and hiking.

Also, my pick on Maui would be the Four Seasons. It, too, is incredible property and the decor and open lobby is truly a dramatic entry to quite an extravagant hotel.

Enjoy!

Feb 7th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Sarah

I second the above recommendations. Definitely stay at both the Hyatt on Kauai and Four Seasons on Maui. You won't be disappointed. Eat at the Ilima Terrace at the Hyatt and ask to sit beside the water with the jumping koi and the swans. Seasons Restaurant at the Four Seasons is also lovely - go early one night and sit outside on the balcony overlooking palm trees and the ocean and watch the sunset. Grand Wailea does have a good restaurant, Humu's, which is built over a koi pond, but the resort is almost too "grand." Four Seasons is more subdued. They will pamper you beyond your wildest dreams at Four Seasons. Definitely take a day trip to the Princeville/Hanalei area of Kauai (north shore). Rode to Hana on Maui is lovely and not difficult. Helicopter ride on Kauai (we used Jack Harter) was incredible. Don't know about Waikiki. Have a wonderful time!

Feb 7th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Pinky

I have a great moneysaving tip for your trip to Hawaii. I am going in May and will use it, but have gone there before and used it and saved at least $500. Buy an Entertainment book (entertainment.com) which has discounts for restaurants, hotels, car rentals, etc, etc. Hotels are discounted 50% and restaurants are generally 2 for 1 dinners. We used it on the big island and were impressed. We stayed in a $250 a night condo for $125, and all the restaurants were first class. You can also get a 2 for 1 interisland flight. (This is what we initally got the book for).
The book only costs $28.

Search this Thread