Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please help choose which Kimpton hotel in SF???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2006, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following kimpton hotels in SF are available with the following rates, ( all have king size beds and a queen sleeper sofa) I read a lot of posts and still can't decide. Cleanliness, good service and nice area are key!! Is hotel Monaco worth the extra $$$$? Any opinions please?
Hotel monaco $289 a night
Villa Florence $189
Monticello $219
Sir francis Drake$239

Thanks so much!!
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:19 PM

Hi nancyjacky, if you decide on the Sir Francis Drake do talk directly to the hotel and make sure renovations are not going on. It was announced some months ago they were going to start renovations but I can't remember when. The article said the Sir Francis Drake was sold but it will still be mananged by the Kimpton Group. It did or does need renovations..quite dreary rooms the last couple of times I stayed there.

I usually stay at the Villa Florence, due to the location. Starssville here on Fodor's always stays at the Hotel Monaco due to the hotel as it is more upscale..it is a running joke between us. I am not familar with the Monticello but am sure someone else here will be. Do have a beautiful time in SF!

Old May 15th, 2006, 03:24 PM

My husband's favorite hotel anywhere is the Monaco in SF and Denver. He won't stay at any of the other Kimptons in SF, but then again, he's not paying.....
Old May 15th, 2006, 05:57 PM

nancyjacky, Check out the travelzoo website because there is a special at Hotel Monaco good until July 2. What are your dates?
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:01 PM

I do adore the Monaco, but I also trust LoveItaly as well. If the Monaco is $100 more a night, then maybe not. I'd probably book the Villa Florence, simply based on LI's preference for it.

I almost booked the Triton instead of the Monaco one time. Check out their rates too.
Old May 15th, 2006, 06:53 PM
trippinkpj

I would pick Hotel Monaco or Villa Florence. I think Sir Francis Drake is in need of a facelift.