Search

Please guide me - 2

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 08:21 AM
Annie

Please guide me - 2

It's Annie again.
Thanks Paul, Cheryl, Bob
It's so exiting to hear the answers from somebody that I don't know who you are.
I posted my message under the your messages yesterday. But it seems like nobody read my second memessage. So I copyed that to here
Anyway, I just turned into 22years old. I have heard it is dangerous to travel alone. Still I am tring to find somebody else who can come with me. but even I couldn't have one that time, I will do traveling by myself.If I have a guide that I can trust and I don't need to pay so much money, it will be great. I am going to travel around 3 weeks. I think it will depend on how many places I am going to go. I want to spend around $2000 for the traveling expenses. I don't want to spend more money that I don't need to, and also I am not looking for the cheapest way. I just want economic(?) traveling.
And
I already had been Rockey mountain. Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park, I'm sure I will be there during this summer traveling.
Thanks again, for the attention to the my message. I hope I could get more informations.

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 09:16 AM
Emily

Annie -- don't travel alone.

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 09:33 AM
Bob Brown

I agree that a single woman travelling alone has different concerns and problems than a single man travelling alone. Even though business women travel alone this day and age, most of the ones I know take extra precautions.

A single woman alone almost always attracts attention of the wrong kind.

Hopefully you can find someone your approximate age who would enjoy a trip with you. I would suggest you decide if you want to see cities or natural landscapes. Will you be driving or flying?

Let us assume you will be driving.
From Cheyenne, you could head for Seattle, Washington, to see a city.
Then drive south via Mount Ranier and Mount St. Helens to Portland, for another city. From there go over to the Oregon Coast and northern California before returning to Cheyenne. You could see cities and towns as well as some great natural scenes on this route.

Perhaps some of the female travelers who participate in this forum will give their insights into the problems of going places alone.

Old Mar 15th, 1999, 06:18 PM
sandra engley

If you travel alone to a major city, and stay in a well known, well located hotel, use taxis instead of local buses and trains you are on the right track safety wise. I have traveled alone to Denver, Dallas, Chicago and Kansas City for business and felt safe with the above guidelines.
For vacation, traveled alone to Santa Fe it was full of history and people were in the square all the times. Also for liesure traveled alone to San Antonio, plenty to see and do around the River Walk. Can reccomend both of those.
My best advise is to pick one area that interest you, research it, on this forum to start with, stay in the center of that location where there will alawys be people.
Since you have spent time in the mountains all ready, for diversity you may enjoy sometime on the East Coast. You can fly into Washington DC spend some days absorbing US history, amtrack up to Boston and spend some time along the ocean in a quaint artist colony town like Rockport Mass. If you have never done anything like this it will be quite memorable, it is an hour north of Boston on the B&M railroad, no need to rent a car. I wish you the best of luck with your adventure.

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 11:16 AM
Lynn

Dear Annie:

I just read your post today, so I don't know when you are planning to travel (or if you have already done so), but I can recommend a couple of web sites to check out. One is the Women's Travel Club which offers free safety tips for solo women travelers (they want you to pay a membership fee for everything else) and the other is Journey Woman. I found a detailed news article about women's safety tips on MSNBC.com under the travel and living heading too.

Best of luck to you.

Old Apr 5th, 1999, 12:34 PM
Michelle

Annie,
I have traveled quite a bit by myself and have never had any problems. I guess the best thing to say is just use your head but don't let fear keep you from exploring and traveling. Of course, I didn't go to bars or nightclubs by myself, mostly the National Parks and etc. Had a great time. I didn't advertise that I was alone either. Good luck and have fun!
Michelle