Please explain Thousand Islands to me

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2023, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove by the "mouth," I think, of Thousand Islands while on a road trip from MD to Canada one summer and am so curious to learn more, but I can't get my bearings. I tried researching online and in the Forum here and there were some comments that made it sound like a day trip, but surely the area must be huge? What IS Thousand Islands, what area does it cover, what is there to do?

My active family of 4 with 2 teenagers would be looking to come August 2024 and book some resort-type stays with activities like kayaking, sailing, other outdoor sports, and eating out. We are looking into staying on Lake George or elsewhere in the area but I'd like to do more than one area and move hotels.

Thank you!
Old Nov 30th, 2023, 07:27 PM

Hi washingtondc

I’ve gotten to know the Thousand Islands exclusively on the Canadian side, but if you look at a map of Ontario, which will give you an idea where they are on the NY side, they run from about Brockville to Kingston. In fair weather (May through October roughly), boat tours run out of Brockville, Gananoque and Kingston to see the Thousand Islands. I’ve been to all three which all have an appeal but Gananoque is considered in Canada to most be the epicentre for the Thousand Islands. There are only 30 islands near Brockville, named quite
aptly the “Brockville 30”. Kingston is near the biggest of the 1000 Islands, Wolfe Island, but is a longer boat ride to get to some of the more architecturally dramatic islands. A former Canadian capital, Kingston however is historic, scenic and interesting in its own right.

In the late 19th and early 20th century, the Thousand Island region was a popular getaway notably for New Yorkers who would access by rail, with some elegant hotels and some glamorous striking homes built; night tours apparently especially of some of the “castle”-like inns and homes were quite popular with visitors at the time with floodlights shone upon the sometimes intriguing-looking buildings nestled in coves. Even today, seeing the often unique and attractive homes scattered throughout only accessible by boat, sometime one per island, is a unique visual and struck me as a magical way to escape the rat race that hearkens to another era. Water activities such as kayaking are available as well as plenty of dining (pubs are quite popular in this area!); despite being only on a river, the boating culture of these places gives this area to me a maritime feel almost.

Have fun in this interesting part of North America!

Daniel
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 04:11 AM
J62

Originally Posted by washingtondc
I drove by the "mouth," I think, of Thousand Islands while on a road trip from MD to Canada one summer and am so curious to learn more, but I can't get my bearings. I tried researching online and in the Forum here and there were some comments that made it sound like a day trip, but surely the area must be huge? What IS Thousand Islands, what area does it cover, what is there to do?

My active family of 4 with 2 teenagers would be looking to come August 2024 and book some resort-type stays with activities like kayaking, sailing, other outdoor sports, and eating out. We are looking into staying on Lake George or elsewhere in the area but I'd like to do more than one area and move hotels.

Thank you!
As to the Adirondacks side of upstate NY..... It's also huge, and very varied. While I do like Lake George (LG) - the lake itself, not LG village which is the town at the southern end, there are many other options that may better suit your family.

Lake Placid and Saranac Lake are two of the larger lakes & towns that come to mind. Saranac is about 15min drive from LP. There is more variety of outdoor activities readily available in Lake Placid area including 2 large lakes, the Olympics / training complex, countless hikes ranging from short to high peaks, as well as a new bike rail-trail from LP to Saranac that just opened up the 1st 10miles.

Happy to tell you more about LG, LP, or other places in that area if you have questions.

Old Dec 1st, 2023, 04:27 AM
J62

The first 10mi section of that new ADK rail trail is now complete and scheduled to open today 12/1. During the winter it's a snowmobile trail, but rest of year it's for walking/biking only. We've been anticipating the completion for along time now....

There are places to rent mountain bikes and ebikes in LP.

https://www.facebook.com/theadirondackrailtrail/
https://www.bikeadirondacks.com/blog..._SdkCx7Yy3tPZw
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 07:39 AM

The northern part of Lake George is quite lovely. We are lucky enough to sometimes stay at the Sagamore Resort in Bolton Landing for conferences but there are certainly plenty of other places. Lake Placid and Saranac Lake are awesome as in Lake Champlain. Plenty of places to visit and to see in this whole area.
Old Dec 12th, 2023, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the offer of info on Lake George or Saranac (we have been to Lake Placid). I would love any and all info! But how does this relate to Thousand Islands? can you tell I am not clear on my geography! We are from MD and have driven to Canada and upstate NY several times, but never stopped in Thousand Islands or been able to figure out how to get IN there/where to stay/ what to do. It sounds like a fascinating area to go to along with a Lake George etc stop if I can get my research started. I love the combination of outdoorsy stuff, resorts, old beautiful homes and tours.
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 10:57 AM

The Thousand Islands are primarily located due north of Watertown which itself is north of Syracuse, so more western NY than either Lake George, Lake Champlain or most of the Adirondacks. It would be a lot of driving to combine the Thousand Islands and Lake George in one trip although I am sure there are people who do both. Probably more likely to combine The Thousand Islands with Niagara Falls I would think, as Niagara Falls is north of Buffalo and Buffalo about a 2 plus hour ride approximately down the NYS Thruway from Syracuse. To get to the NYS Thruway from Lake George area you would need to drive back down to Albany and pick it up there.
Old Dec 13th, 2023, 02:06 PM
J62

Here's a Map of NYS showing what Madam397 described in words.
You can drive across the Adirondacks to the 1000 Islands Region. It'd be a pokey ride on windy 2 lane roads - but probably no longer than taking interstates/NYS Thruway as described above.

I would pick one region and stay there, not trek all the way across the state for more what in many ways will be the same. Water, water sports, open spaces. Yes, there are differences - Adirondacks will be lakes, and mountains. 1000 Islands is the river, and islands, and not the high mountains. But only you can decide if you want 2 locations with those similarities.

Old Dec 13th, 2023, 07:15 PM

Thousand Island Dressing

Ingredients
  • 1 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
  • 2 tablespoons ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Old Dec 14th, 2023, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you J62 for the summary and map, this is all helpful. Are there resorts in the Thousands Islands region? Because we could switch to making our visit there...