Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please review my itinerary and offer housing advice!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2023, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!

Family of 5 (with three teens) traveling to Utah/AZ from New England over April break. How is my itinerary shaping up?

Also looking to figure out where I should get an air BNB ... La Verkin vs. Orderville as a base for Zion/Bryce?? With three teens, space half way thru is nice to stretch out... as is laundry options.

Finally.. my husband is *really* into stargazing but we can not pack anything besides binoculars. Any great options for a sky gazing tour?

THANK YOU!!!!
Kate

Friday (12) : Arrive in Las Vegas (@ 1130), drive to Kingman, AZ
  • Hoover Dam (40min)
  • Kingman, AZ (70min)
  • Walmart/grocery shopping
  • Accommodations: ? Hampton INn
Saturday (13): Drive to Sedona (3hr)
  • Pink Jeep Tour
  • Accommodations – Sedona Real Imm
Sunday (14) : Sedona in AM, then drive to the Grand Canyon (2 hr)
  • Accommodations - Maswik Lodge (booked)
  • Devils bridge Trail in am
  • Palataki Heritage Site
Monday (15) : Grand Canyon in am then, ? North Rim of GC, Drive to Page (2hr)
  • Accommodations : Courtyard Page at Lake Powell
  • Sunset at Horseshoe Bend
Tuesday (16) :
  • Accommodations : Courtyard Page at Lake Powell
  • Ken’s Tours of Antelope Canyon (am)
  • Lake Powell boat tour Rainbow Bridge (pm? )
Wednesday (17): Drive to Bryce Canyon (2.5 hr)
  • Bryce
  • Accommodations - Air BNB
Thursday (18) :
  • Zion (any must do's for teens?)
Friday (19) :
  • Horse ride sunset?
  • Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park?
  • Peekaboo slot canyon jeep tour
Saturday (20) : drive to Las Vegas (3h)
  • Accommodations: ???? Something in Vegas to sleep 5.
  • Valley of Fire Scenic Byway
  • Cirque De Soleil “O”
Sunday (21) : Fly home
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 12:43 PM

Friday and Saturday and Sunday are ok if he plane is on time and you do not wait too long to get the rental car or need to stop to feed the gang. Monday, be sure to hike down into GC a way on Bright Angel or South Kaibab trail as well as go along the rim trail. Then I would not bother to go to the north rim which may not be open if it has been a snowy winter. It is a long way in so head up to Page.

Bryce is beautiful but there has always been snow on the trails when we visited in April. You would need gear for your shoes if you want to hike. The road along the park with pullouts for views has been fine.

Zion is much lower in elevation so will probably be busier and the river will probably be flowing nicely. Get gear in Springdale if you want to hike the narrows.

sorry I can’t help with lodging. Do get a cooler and fill it with snacks, drinks, etc. Do fill the gas tank when it gets to a half and there is a station, as some places are not open Sundays. Try to avoid driving after dusk as mule deer, elk, and other critters are hard to see and would spoil your whole day.

Have a fantastic trip.
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 01:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to Fodors. AFAIK you cannot visit the North Rim of the GC in April. It is usually still closed for the season until mid May at the earliest.

Also - I'd expect snow at Bryce -- or at least quite cold temps.
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would stay AT Bryce and AT Zion (Springdale). Less moving around and set up for tourists.
Old Nov 16th, 2023, 08:13 PM

Kingman, I recently stayed at the Best Western Plus King's Inn &Suites on Andy Devine. I see they have large double Queen Junior Suites, with couch. Great breakfasts, extremely friendly staff, and look for the green chili salsa hiding in the yogurt bar. This is a very large two-story motel with one elevator, and multiple stairwells. On check in ask for a room near the elevator if on the second floor.

Yeah I don't think you are getting to the North Rim until mid-May. Bryce is technically open all of the time but they can close the roads after a snowfall.

We have stayed in Kanab at the Best Friends cottages which are like apartments, if you can find an opening for your dates that is a good location in between the Grand Canyon and Zion/Bryce. You might see how it works for your later dates. For Zion, Springdale works better, try the Holiday Inn Express.
Old Nov 19th, 2023, 11:07 AM

I understand wanting the air b&b for space with teens. But for Bryce and Zion, you need to balance out getting into the parks and needing to be very close to entry points. If you click on my user name, you will see trip reports for Zion and Bryce with kids/teens.

For Bryce--you might have snow in April, you might not. It really depends. We visit southern Utah in the early spring and it's great. You can wait to see what the weather is like and order some Yaktrax (if you don't have them) to bring with you. If you need them, you have them. if you don't, just return them. Stay at Ruby's Inn or the Best Western at Bryce. Good hotels with pools. Bryce is the very best place to go star gazing. Check out the park newsletter at www.nps.gov to find out if the rangers are leading any stargazing activities.

For Zion--you will want 2 days there. The Kolob Canyon section is really nice and generally not crowded. Stay in Springdale. Either the Desert Pearl Inn or the hotel I note in my trip report. (it is skipping my mind right now) Do the Kolob Canyon section the first day you are there since you will have driven from Bryce. On the second day, go into Zion--be at the shuttle as early as you can.

Accommodations in Vegas--there is a Residence Inn just off the strip. If you get a 2BR suite with a sleep couch, that will work.

For the Grand Canyon--yes, it does not open till much later. You can stop between Chandler AZ and Page at Lee's Ferry. Check out the Navajo Bridge--if you are lucky, there will be condors there. You can hike back into the remains of the old settlements at Lees' Ferry--very level, not hard and a good leg stretcher.

For Lake Powell--it depends on teh Lake level at teh time. I think right now you have to hike a mile or 2 to get to Rainbow Bridge once the boat docks. If you click on my user name, you will also find a trip report for Kanab and Page. The Best Friends Animal Sanctuary really is a great tour. Or go see Pipe Springs National Monument. I would do those things vs. the boat tour on Lake Powell. Also--if you want to spread out--stay at the Lake Powell Motel. These are apartments--you can get 2 BR, 1 BA and a large living room--great for sleeping and a kitchen.
Old Dec 9th, 2023, 05:19 PM

Please don’t rush through Hoover Dam in 40 minutes- it’s fascinating! Do the tour that goes down into the bowels of the dam, go to the presentation to see the film, walk through and be amazed by its construction. At least 2 hours- and it’s worth it!!

In Sedona, a relaxing thing to do is to go to the Enchantment resort and go to the bar outside patio- stare at the red rocks and enjoy the beauty!!

Old Dec 16th, 2023, 08:45 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by janisj
Welcome to Fodors. AFAIK you cannot visit the North Rim of the GC in April. It is usually still closed for the season until mid May at the earliest.

Also - I'd expect snow at Bryce -- or at least quite cold temps.
I would skip the North Rim of the Grand Canyon even in the summer. Seeing it from the South Rim is much better. Be sure to stop and see Desert View in the eastern end of the park.
I found Flagstaff to be somewhat cheaper for lodging than Sedona. Visit the Lowell Observatory (day or evening) in Flagstaff. The Riordan Mansion S.P. next to the college campus is also interesting.