Please Critique our Fall Foliage Trip

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:09 AM
ira
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Critique our Fall Foliage Trip

Hi All,

We are planning a visit to New England for Oct, 2006.

Preliminary plans are to fly ATL to Burlington, VT. Expect to arrive about 3:00 PM if Delta is still in business.

We will drive to our hotel in Vermont the first afternoon. We are thinking of either Vergennes or Middlebury.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Days 2-4 in VT.
Day 5 Drive to MA along the Hudson River.

Days 6-8
We are thinking of staying at the Red Lion inn in Stockbridge.

Is this a good place for visiting the Berkshires? Suggestions and comments welcome.

Day 9 Drive to NH.

Days 9.5 - 12 in NH
We are thinking of staying in Bethlehem.
Suggestions and comments welcome.

Day 12.5 Drive to BTV and fly home.

Thanks for your help.

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:27 PM

Itinerary looks good. We stayed in North Woostock in New Hampshire, which was a very convenient location. When in the White Mountains, be sure to take the Kancamagus Highway that runs from North Woodstock to Conway. One of the most spectacular highways in the world in the fall.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
Kal

I have one suggestion.......TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!
I'll spring for gas!

Sounds like a GREAT trip...Mrs Kal and I have it on our To Do list.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 02:05 PM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, TRM

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 02:38 PM

Change of colors moves from the south to the north, so in order to be at the peak of foliage season you will want to time your trip around Columbus Day. As an FYI, lodging can become scarce and very expensive during foliage season, so you will want to arrange your accomodations early. There is a website that can provide you with which areas are at their peak.

There's a very nice bed and breakfast in Bethlehem, NH. It is on the expensive side, but it is top notch and I will look up the website for you. They do serve tea and chocolate chip cookies in the afternoon, and the restaurant is superb for dinner.

When you're in the Berkshires make sure you stop by the Norman Rockwell museum. If you like antiquing, you will find many antique shops during your travels.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 04:43 PM
roy

South to north???

I think you have that backwards..
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:38 PM

Swing through the Adirondacks for a day and treat yourselves to an overnight at The Sagamore on Bolton Landing, Lake George.
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 07:06 PM
TKT

I would consider adding Northampton Mass. about an hour from stockbridge.
Great funky town with many wonderful restaurants and coffee shops.

http://www.noho.com/
Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 08:42 PM

Since you have twelve days, my recommendation would be to start out as far northeast as you plan to go and work your way south and west (in the same direction the colors change).

There's a fabulous interactive (with calendars) foliage planning map at http://www.yankeemagazine.com/foliage/findcolor.php

We love the Red Lion Inn. For the last few years, however, we visit rather than stay there (the prices being a bit high, especially during fall, for the quality of the accommodations). The Lions Den (in the basement) is fabulous for atmosphere, New England comfort food, and live music.

Lenox is a fabulous base point for the Berkshires. Check out the Rookwood Inn (but there are dozens).

We also like the 1896 Brookside/Pondside just south of Williamstown for a base point in the Berkshires.

We've come to prefer nice motels rather than B&B's. Soundproofing, plumbing, "rules", even "breakfast" too problematic with the B&B's, along with outrageous fall rates and inflexible cancellation policies.

While in Stockbridge, the Norman Rockwell Museum and Chesterwood are magnificent.

You'd also want to wander as far north as Manchester/Arlington, Vermont (which is why I'd pick Lenox or Williamstown over Stockbridge for a base point.)

Bethlehem is also a terrific base point. From there, highly recommend a drive to Lancaster, east on Route 2 to Gorham, south on Route 16 to Bartlett (skipping North Conway unless you want to visit the outlets, noting NO SALES TAX in New Hampshire), then west on Route 302 through Bretton Woods (with a stop at the magnificent Mount Washington Hotel) and back to Bethlehem. About two hours driving (with no stops), this will take you through some spectacular scenery, including many of the breathtaking notches. If you have time, I'd do it again in the other direction. (We find this route far more sensational than the Kancamagus Highway, which is mobbed and full of RV's in the fall.)

Not too far (and worth the drive) is the Sunset Hill House. Amazing place to be for dinner at sunset with views to the Presidential Range.

Also from Bethlehem, you can take a drive to Dixville Notch, NH and/or the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont (highly recommend).

With 12 days, if it were me, I'd start in Bethlehem, then head for Stowe, VT, then the Berkshires.

You may also wish to consider a stay at the Chesterfield Inn (we LOVE that place) in West Chesterfield. From there, drive to Peterborough, Hancock to the east, and west on Route 9 all the way to Bennington, VT.

Only an hour north of West Chesterfield is the Saint-Gaudens National Historic sight http://www.sgnhs.org/saga.html

The longest covered bridge is in nearby Windsor.

Now is not too soon to book accomodations for the best selection and prices.

A wonderful resource is "Best Loved Drives New England".

Also, "Vermont, An Explorer's Guide" (and New Hampshire, and Massashussetts). These guides are chock full of incredible information, beautifully organized, great for having along with you.

If you're a AAA member, order the maps and follow any of the ....... routes.

Keep in mind that the very best way to enjoy the foliage is by getting in your car every day and driving all over.

Old Nov 23rd, 2005, 11:30 PM

We found Jackson NH a great place to visit the white mountains. Close to the Kancamagus highway and Mount Washington.In Massachussets do the Mohawk trail to Williamstown and visit the wonderful Clark museum.Bennington Vermont is close by too. Paul
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 06:33 AM

Ira,

Why is it you are always a step ahead of me on the trip planning? I think the fall foliage is going to be my next trip too! Works out great for me, you get to be the pioneer, then you write great trip reports for us.

I'm saving this one for future ref. this western lady knows next to nothing about the east.

Thanks everyone!
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 06:42 AM
ira
Original Poster

Hi Leslie,

>There's a very nice bed and breakfast in Bethlehem,...<

Mind sharing the name?

Thanks all for your advice.
We shall tweak the plan.

Old Nov 24th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Ira, going down the Hudson to MA is out of the way. Are you sure you don't mean the Connecticut River? Don't miss Woodstock, VT.
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Ira, you might also want to read my trip report:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...ses=0&start=50
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 04:27 PM
ira
Original Poster

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the link.

>...going down the Hudson to MA is out of the way.<

Agreed, but we want to see the Hudson Valley (we think). Is the part from Albany to Lake Champlain scenic enough to be worth the detour?

Old Nov 24th, 2005, 05:50 PM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions.

Now considering:

Day 1 Oct 1
Fly into Burlington (arr BTV about 3:30)
Drive to Vergennes (or somewhere nearby)
Days 2-4 in VT
Day 5 drive to Bethlehem, NH (or somewhere nearby)
Days 6 and 7 in NH
Day 8 drive to Williamstown, MA (or somewhere nearby)
Days 9-11 in MA
Day 12 Drive back to VT via the Hudson River (about 5 hr)

All suggestions and comments are welcome.

Should I increase NH by a day and lessen MA by a day?

Recommendations for other towns to stay.

Recommendations for hotels, motels and B&Bs. Budget is about $110 - 130/nite.

Restaurant recs?

Old Nov 24th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Hi Ira,

I'm with DJBooks on the Red Lion. We stayed there a weekend last spring. It was nice, but the rooms were a little faded. And I'm almost positive it won't fit your $100-$130 budget. You may find that a little tight for b&b's at the peak of leaf peeping season out here.

In any case, you might check out the Rookwood Inn in Lenox. I think the prices are reasonable, and I know someone who's stayed there several times and really likes it.

Either Lenox or Stockbridge will make a good base for the Berkshires.

As far as whether to adjust the NH vs MA part of the trip, I think NH might be a little more scenic and offer more in the way of hiking. so it might be a good idea.

I hope you get better foliage next fall than we had this year!
Old Nov 24th, 2005, 06:14 PM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, CC.

Red Lion Inn is $200 and up.
No longer in our price range.

Old Nov 24th, 2005, 07:42 PM

We enjoyed staying at the historic Merrell Inn in Stockbridge a few years ago. We were going to stay there again this fall but had to cancel our trip due to illness. I believe their doubles are about $150. Hope we can make it next fall. We love the foliage. www.merrell-inn.com
Old Nov 25th, 2005, 05:33 AM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help:

TRM
The Kancamagus Highway is on our list

Holly
We will stay one night at The Sagamore

Hi TKT
Northampton is on our list

Hi djk
We will bee staying at the Pondside.
I have your drives listed.

Thank you for the suggestions, Tov

Thanks for the very useful trip report, Michael.

Questions:

Any comments on the Jardin restaurant at the 1896 House?

Current plan:
Day 1 Oct 1
Fly into Burlington (arr BTV about 3:30)
Drive to Vergennes (or somewhere nearby)
Days 2-3 in VT
Day 4 drive to Bethlehem, NH
*** Accomodation suggestions? ***
Days 5-7 in NH
Day 8 drive to Williamstown, MA
Days 9-10 in MA
Day 11 To The Sagamore
Day 12 To BTV, fly home.

In order to afford the Sagamore, I have to drop a day from either VT or NH. Should I do 2 VT and 3NH or vv?

Thanks,

Ira

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -