Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Please critique my Seattle restaurant list...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me preface this by saying I realize that dining out is subjective. That said, I have put together a list of restaurants for our upcoming Seattle/Vancouver trip (this list deals only with Seattle). We have only four nights to dine in Seattle and love all types of food. It is my hope you can help me reduce this list to match our stay (feel free to add other favorites--including the type of food--as well). Also, which would be a great place to begin/end the trip. By the way, we live in Denver and, therefore, are not really interested in steak houses.

Here they are (in no particular order):
1. Canlis
2. Flying Fish
3. Ray?s Boathouse
4. Campagne
5. Wild Ginger
6. Rovers
7. Waterfront
8. Palisades (great view of Seattle?)
9. Chez Shea
10. Sazerac
11. Etta?s
12. Rover?s
13. Pier 66
14. Oceannaire

And while you're here, any suggestions for Vancouver/Victoria?

Thanks to all!

Strive

PS Might some of these be better for lunch?
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 07:49 PM

Strive,
Canlis used to be just about my favorite restaurant here, but we were disappointed the last time, but maybe it was just an "off" night. Still, the views are great, and if you go, make sure to check out the lady's room!

Ray's has excellent seafood and is less pricey and a bit more casual.

I think Wild Ginger is overrated, though it's good and the spicy chicken salad is delicious. Might be a good place for lunch instead of dinner.

I've been to Waterfront 3 times and the first 2 I loved it, but was disappointed last time--it was too noisy and the service wasn't good and I felt it was overpriced for what we had. But the view is great.

I've only been to Etta's twice and have liked it both times. It's very good, though not great.

I've read great reviews about Rovers and Campagne, but haven't been to either yet. Both sound very expensive, but that might not be an issue for you.

Some less expensive (but good) ones we like are any of the McCormick & Schmick's restaurants--their Harborside on Lake Union is one that has great views (and the ahi is delicious, but salmon and halibut are always good bets here too), and there are several small places in Belltown that are very good--the one we recently liked alot was bada (live music on Sunday).

Also, expensive, but lovely with great service and delicious food is The Georgian at the Four Seasons (Olympic) Hotel.

Hope this helps and that you have a great time.
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 08:45 AM
Original Poster

Artlover,

Thanks for all your suggestions and reviews--appreciate your help!

Anyone else?

Strive
Old Apr 21st, 2004, 06:01 PM

Flying Fish has good food. It?s a noisy neighborhood kind of place.
Ray?s Boathouse is good, but it?s inconvenient if you don?t have a car.
Campagne has good food, but I don?t like the room.
Wild Ginger is good, but it?s over-rated. There?s better Asian elsewhere.
Rovers get 5-star reviews, but they force you to eat a multi-course meal.
Waterfront has great seafood and location. Ask for a table ?into? the room.
Palisades is good but inconveniently located.
Chez Shea is a place I?ve never eaten because I don?t like the location.
I ate at Sazerac twice when it opened and was disappointed.
Etta?s is very good, but more like a neighborhood place
Pier 66 is part of the Anthony?s chain, has water views, and gets good reviews.
Oceanaire is very good for seafood, but it?s downtown.

Dahlia Lounge is owned by the same guy who owns Etta?s and it?s a local favorite.
The Elliot is part of a local chain, but it?s on the water and everybody loves it.
The Georgian (in the Fairmont) is the most elegant place in town.
Il Terrazzo Carmine (in Pioneer Square) is the best Italian.

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 12:19 AM

We go to the Pacifc NW once a year. I've eaten at alot of the places on your list. I'd say check out Matt's at the Market in Seattle. It's very casual but I think it has great food. It's open for lunch and dinner. I'd skip Wild Ginger. I agree it's overrated but I also think Etta's is. We used to be immense fans of Campagne and probably still are though somewhat reserved in our praise.

Now for Vancouver: I can't say enough about our food at Bin 981. Oh my goodness, it's some of the most imaginative food I've had in a great while. It's a scene to be sure. We ate there twice in 5 days. We also had eaten at Bishop's and were underwhelmed..I also would recommend Vij's without a doubt in Vancouver.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 10:53 AM

Thanks, Pam, for the tips on where to eat in Vancouver. Do you have any favorites in Portland, Oregon?
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:03 AM

PamSF, did you mean Bin 941? What were your favorites from them?
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 11:46 AM

I was in Seattle a few months ago on business and had dinner at Oceanaire. It was excellent and I have never had that many different types of Oysters.
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 08:47 PM

We loved the Pink Door, on Post Alley at Pike Place Market. Italian food, loved everything each of us had, interesting menu and wonderful atomosphere--twinkly, sparkly, funky yet elegant decor, just dark enough to be atomospheric, and trapeze-style swings hanging from the ceiling, though we never saw anyone get on one! It was moderately expensive.

We also ate three times at Lowell's at Pike Place. It's a fish place, with excellent clam chowder in a bread bowl, perfect fish n chips, good shrimp cocktail. It's got a few levels of dining (you order at the front counter though) and huge windows overlooking the bay, which we loved. And good beer, which goes so well with that food, I'm salivating for it all. Very hearty and tasty, seemingly fairly cheap, although between everything always smelling so good and the cold appetite-inducing air, we always shocked ourselves with the tab and how much we bought, but well worth it. Excellent place for lunch.

love
roxy
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 07:36 AM

Yup..it's Bin 941 sorry! My favorite was the seared sashimi grade tuna with the Indonesian Rice cake. We ate it both nights we were there. Everything was great but that was the BEST!

In Portland I like the Bluehour.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 08:04 AM

The Flying Fish was very good when we dined there last summer. We were also very happy with the Dahlia Lounge. Have a great time in Seattle! I just returned from a week on the Oregon Coast, it's always gorgeous, any time of year we go!! ***kim***
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who contributed to my list and to all who critiqued it!

I'll be sure to post a report upon our return.

Sincerely,

Strive