Please critique my Chicago intinerary!

Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

Please critique my Chicago intinerary!

We're going to Chicago for the first time in mid-September (hope the weather is great!). Group in their early 30s to early 40s (relatively good shape). We get in late Thursday and leave Monday at 6 p.m. Flying into Midway at staying at the Courtyard on E. Hubbard in downtown. Planning on buying the 3 day CTA pass to use Saturday-Monday. Here's what we tentatively have planned:

Friday
- a.m. Architectural Boat Tour
- lunch: Carson's (Ontario/Wells)
- visit to Marshall Fields (which will be a Macy's at that point) and Filene's Basement (State Street)
- early dinner: Giordanos/Atwood/Trattoria No. 10
- walk to Millennium Park/Buckingham Fountain (if time permits)
- Wicked at Ford Theater

Saturday
- day of shopping on Mag Mile!
- lunch: Portillos/Mr. Beef
- snack: Garrett's Popcorn
- dinner: Rosebud's/Heaven on Seven (Michigan/Ontario)
- Hancock Tower for drinks
- Navy Pier

Sunday
- one member of the group is going to do the Gangster Tour while others finish shopping (yes, we love to shop!)
- quick stop at the Hard Rock restaurant for souvenirs/Rock and Roll McDonald's (what is there to do there?)
- lunch: Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder
- (possibly) walk through Lincoln Park Zoo after lunch
- (possbily) quick trip to Chinatown to look around
- dinner: Chicago Chop House or some other steak place
- walk to Millennium Park/Buckingham Fountain (if not accomplished on Friday)

Monday
- walk to Millennium Park/Buckingham Fountain (if not accomplished on Friday or Sunday)
- Chinatown (if not accomplished on Sunday)
- (possibly) visit Shedd Aquarium (free day)
- (possibly) Museum of Science and Industry (opens at 9:30)
- no definitely meal plans although we plan to either eat a big meal so we don't get hungry on the flight home or pick up something to eat before we go to the airport (maybe a nice deep dish pizza to put us right to sleep when we get on board!)

Your thoughts??? We come from a big city (Los Angeles) if that sheds any light on your comments re whether its worth it for us to do certain things like go to the zoo or the aquarium.

Yes, we spend our vacations constantly on the go. We rest on the flight home and when we get home.

Thanks!
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:31 AM
TKT

I love Millenium park, take your time walking there.

Consider the Blues Clubs, you can hop from Blue Chicago to Blues on Clark in a minute. On the North Side, Lilly's BLUES and Kingston Mines are all near each other.

You could also include a walk on the beach which is about a 5 minute walk from the Hancock tower.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:34 AM

Your itinerary looks fine (although I think trips like these are so subjective that I don't believe I could - or should - "critique" them!)

My only suggestions would be:

1. Go to Atwoods before Wicked -- if only because the rest of your trip seems so heavily laden with Italian choices. You can go to Giordano's anytime, and it might be a better choice for a quick dinner after shopping or museums instead of a "dining experience" before the theater.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:45 AM

I'm curious about your visit to Chinatown. I haven't lived in Chicago for years, though I visit a lot. Greek town used to the be the big place to go (to eat). I'm not sure Chinatown would begin to compare with Chinatown in San Francisco, and since you are from LA....
So, I ask people who currently live in Chicago, what ethnic neighborhood would be the most fun to visit?
Re Musuems, Museum of Sci and Industry is fun, but check out what exhibits are there and at the Field Museum and see which interests you more. The Field Museum is really awesome, and is in a complex with the Shedd Aquarium and Planetarium (which has stellar movies). If you visit the Museum of Science and Industry, take time to cross Lake Shore Drive and walk around the park called the point, which juts into the lake and offers great views of downtown.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:47 AM

P.S. --

Your Sunday seems to be open -- have you considered going to Second City? They have Sunday night performances, and it's fun and inexpensive. You could then cap off your night with a stroll through Millenium Park.

Also agree w/ TKT's sug. to visit a blues club. Or Redhead Piano bar!

Have fun!
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. Will look into a blues club and Second City. Most of us saw Second City in Vegas and although I know its not the same show (improv), it wasn't on the top of our list of things to do. Does anyone know if hottix ever sells them at 1/2 price? Someone recently looked at their website and didn't see it mentioned.

Re Chinatown - some of our group is Chinese so they always have to check out Chinatown in different cities.

Thanks again and keep the ideas coming!