Search

Please assist with New England Fall Foliage Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2010, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please assist with New England Fall Foliage Itinerary

Dear All:

Husband and I are planning a fall foliage driving tour of New England this October. We are thinking of spending a total of 11 nights (October 5th-16th), inclusive of three nights in Boston, and flying in and out of Boston. Please comment whether this preliminary outline makes any sense as I am not attached to it to and can amend my plans:

Boston - 3 nights
Drive up the coast to Maine - spend one-two nights
Drive West to Conway/Jackson area - spend two nights
Drive West to Stowe - spend two nights
Drive South to Woodstock - spend two nights
Spend last night somewhere (Concord ?) with an easy access to Boston/Logan for a p.m. flight back to LA.

As I noted, I am o.k. with adjusting this preliminary plan as needed, eliminating some points and adding others, if it makes more sense. I can also extend this trip by a day, leaving on the 4th.

Thank you all for your comments.

Anna
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 08:47 AM

I live in Maine - where in Maine are you thinking about going? It is a beautiful drive from the coast to New Hampshire. Should try to include the Kangamangus Highway in New Hampsire for sure. When you decide where in Maine you would like to go, I could give you some Hotel suggestions.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 09:40 AM

My recommendation would be to visit Boston last. The foliage will be prettier farther north when you arrive, and it would be better to be as close as possible to Logan for your departure. You could also turn in your rental car, as you won't need it in Boston.

If it were me, I'd spend only one night on the Coast of Maine, as the foliage will be much more prevelant in the mountains. Then, I'd spend a night or two on the east side of the White Mountains, and another night or two on the western side or in Vermont. There are many spectacular east/west drives.

Woodstock is just fine, but I'd opt for farther south/scenic drives through southern Vermont, or head for the Berkshires in Western MA - an easy drive back to Boston.
Old Jan 25th, 2010, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - I really appreciate your comments.

5gs - as for Maine, I am thinking of driving up and spending a night in/about Kennebunkport before heading West toward Conway/Jackson.

DJ - your advice re saving Boston for last is duly noted. I kind of like the idea and will definitely look into it.

So far, I am holding ff tickets on AA, so there is progress.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 02:40 AM

I like the idea of last 3 nights in Boston and that eliminates the need to spend one night someplace just for airport convenience.
Just keep in mind that unless you really really have a particular lodging in mind, you have chosen the most popular and hence most crowded areas. Expect crowded restaurants and slow driving esp on weekends when day trippers join the crowd. The foliage is going to be beautiful all over the place. I live here and have decided 'peak' is very hard to define. You've chosen good weeks for color. I would also suggest picking some places or events because that many days of driving is going to get old. Highly recommend either or both a cruise on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH (just south of the White Mountains) or a harbor or inland rivers cruise out of Portsmouth NH. Columbus Day weekend is extremely popular so there are some foliage festivals around. You can also see more tips/photos/route suggestions on Yankee Magazine's foliage forum.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 05:54 PM

I live in Jackson - lots of great places to stay. My favorites are the Inn at Thorn Hill (not the carriage house), Wentworth & Whitney's.

Best fine dining - White Mountain Cider House (Glen), Libby's in Gorham (also just opened a pub that serves apps) & 1785 Inn (N Conway at the scenic overlook).

Wine Thyme (appetizers/drinks - N Conway)

Kearsage Cafe in N Conway for lunch (cash only - N Conway)

J-Town Deli in Jackson for breakfast, lunch, snacks, groceries.

Shannon Door Pub in Jackson for Pizza and great Irish bands on Fri/Sat.

Yesterdays (Jackson) breakfast

Peach's in N Conway for breakfast.

Moonbeam Cafe in Gorham for breakfast (our MOST favorite breakfast place). 20 min drive from Jackson, you will probably see moose on the drive, get there right at 7AM, they only have 5 tables.

Red Fox in Jackson for affordable family dining & play area for kids. Great inexpensive Sunday Brunch.

Delaney's in N Conway for Sushi.

For Italian the best is Maestros in Intervale (the service can be slow, get there early for faster service) or Saladinos Italian Market in Gorham (also a cute market).
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 06:24 PM

Anna,
We just did the same trip this last fall - Oct 2-10th. The New England area is beautiful in the fall - you will love it! We didn't spend anytime in Boston as we had been there before but we did fly in/out of Logan.

We rented a car at Logan and drove up the coast. The first night we stayed in Portsmouth and from there north as far as Cape Elizabeth and then drove west into N Conway/Conway staying two nights, west to Burlington-1 night and then Stowe-2 nights and Woodstock-1 night and back to airport-1 night. We were using points for hotels as much as possible so we stayed at Sheratons and Hampton Inns. We did splurge in Stowe staying at the Green Mountain Inn - lovely and well worth the $. In Woodstock we stayed at the Vermont Inn - not impressed really.

Some of our favorites were:

1.Lunch at the Washington Hotel - BEAUTIFUL!
2.Kamacangus Highway
3.Breakfast at the Inn at Shelburne - you don't have to pay to tour the farm if you have breakfast there
4.Smugglers Notch
5.Ben & Jerry's ice cream tour
6.Grand View Winery
7.Cold Hollow Cider Mill
8.Quechee Gorge

One of THE best things we purchased before going was the Atlas & Gazetteer for New Hampshire. This was invaluable as it shows all the backroads and also highlights sights to stop at. We wished we'd bought the one for Vermont as well. I also printed off the scenic drives on Yankee Foliage's website.

Good luck in planning - you'll have a great time! PamT
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Original Poster

Wow - thank you all for the tips and the info. I am cutting/pasting into a Ward document to be compiled into an itinerary.

Frost - I understand that this will be the busiest time of the year for NE travel, but have to see those leaves turn! I have been planning to do this trip for years.

Adnil - thank you. I also heard good things about the Inn at Thorn Hill. May have been in Karen Brown's Guide.

Pam - I am SO glad to hear that you did your trip in eight days, exclusive of Boston, so my thinking of 11 days including Boston is not unreasonable. We have never been, so it is certainly the opportunity. I will look into purchasing Atlas & Gazetteer.

I think at this point I better start reserving places to stay before they are picked over.
Old Jan 26th, 2010, 10:56 PM

I would say that the very best way to enjoy the foliage is driving all over. Most scenic drives are several hours or less, with plenty of places to stop along the way. And, the scenery is a bit different in each direction, so returning the same route to where you're staying is just fine.

I, personally, would recommend going farther north than Conway/Jackson and Stowe. For one thing, it will be less crowded - and that early in the season the colors will be more pronounced.

Keep in mind that the colors start in the far northeast, then move south and west. So, it's a good idea to do likewise, then head east.
Old Jan 27th, 2010, 03:30 AM

Sorry, I didn't mean choose different dates. I meant to choose less crowded areas to stay. The DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteers is a great suggestion. It's oversize but shows every road including seasonal ones. The back cover has a state map so you can find where you are in the state and then use the detailed map to find alternate routes if traffic has slowed down. (except in the White Mountains there aren't many alternate routes)