Plantation near New Orleans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in New Orleans for three days during the Sugar Bowl. We'd like to visit one of the Plantations (Oak Alley, San Francisco, or The Houmas). We have a car, and will drive out on our own. Which one do you recommend we visit? Thank you in advance for any advice, mary
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:23 PM

They are not that far from each other. I would recommend driving along River Road and seeing them all. Then pick the one you like best to visit on your way back to New Orleans.

I haven't been on a tour of any of these, but they are all unique.

Another fun thing to do would be to take a river boat cruise.

Have fun. I'll be at the Sugar Bowl game. My son's High School Band works concession stand 108 to raise money for band trips. If you want a hot dog or nachos come on by!

David
Old Jan 1st, 2007, 06:39 PM

Oak Alley.

While the River road is one way to go, be aware that you never see the river on this road - just the levee.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 03:43 AM
Dan

The most interesting plantation to visit is Laura, a creole plantation home just a couple of miles south of Oak Alley on LA 18. Laura is where the "brer rabbit" stories originated, too!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all, for your help. I think we will stop at Laura first, then try one more. I will try to stop by the concession stand, David. We're always hungry! My husband and son have tickets, I am trying to find one. If not, I should come help you at the concession. Have done that many times at our school too. Happy New Year!
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 05:47 AM

Oak Alley.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:09 AM

We went to Laura and Oak Alley and Laura was by far our favorite of the two. The house was very interesting to us, as were the stories of the plantation and the families that lived there.

At Oak Alley, the big attraction is the oaks, which are magnificent. The house is grand and really beautiful, but the oaks steal the show. Even if you decide not to take a tour of the house, stop in and see the trees.

If you are an Anne Rice fan, Oak Alley was the inspiration for the Louisiana Talamasca house in the Witching Hour. It is also where the scenes of Louie's plantation were filmed in the movie adaptation of Interview with a Vampire.
Old Jan 2nd, 2007, 10:37 AM

I agree with the previous poster. Laura is a REALLY good tour with lots of interesting local color and history and Oak Alley is probably the most gorgeous aesthetically. See both, they're not to far away from one another!