Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning Utah/Arizona trip.... have accommodation questions???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our first "Western trip" next year. Part of our 14 day trip is to include 3-4 days at Zion and 2-3 days at Bryce. We are active hikers ( 13 & 15 yr old boys) including DW and myself. My questions are: which would be better accommodations at Zion: the NP lodge or Desert Pearl in Springdale? and at Bryce: the NP lodge or private lodging?? We have read great advice about each. This is a great site for help. I'm asking for help early to beat the crowd for reservations next year. I'll post later for itenerary help.

Thanks!!!
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Hi Mes,

If your boys are in school, are you planning to go in summer? If you like to do extensive hiking, 3-4 days in summer in Zion will be OK, starting very early and finishing the hottest part of the day in the pool or river!

3 days a Bryce might be more than you need. 2 days would probably be enough.

Do you already have plans for the rest of the trip?
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM

If you are active hikers, I think you would enjoy having 4 days Zion and 3 Bryce. We can't get enough of those places. Our minimum is always 5 nights Zion and 3 Bryce, mainly because it is so hard to get back-to-back reservations. Our preference is always to stay inside the parks to have the easiest access to hiking trails. If your boys require TV or a swimming pool, then you'd do best staying in town. Our kids always did well in the rustic settings; we did evening hikes (it stays light til 9 or so), and we are big readers. If you prefer luxury accommodations, then you'd be happier at Desert Pearl. Zion Lodge is basic but clean and comfortable. To us, it's all about location.
Have a great time! Where else are you going?
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply! Here is our basic initial itenerary: ( anyone please fill free to jump in with suggestions )!!! My boys are old enough to not need the luxuries of a hotel every night.

1. SR GC
2-3 Phantom Ranch
4. SR GC
5. Kayenta MV
6. Paige
7. NR GC
8-9 Bryce
10-13 Zion
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I just came back from Bryce and Zion.

I've never hiked before and for various reason selected only easy and easy-to-moderate trails.

I think 2 days in Byryce should be enough.

I stayed in-park and there's nothing like getting up in the morning and being there.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Zion has a mandatory bus system in operation during the summer, so it's easier to be in the park than in Springdale since you can roll out of bed and just start hiking. If you're late risers (and most teenage boys are), you can either drive into the visitor center, park, and then hop onto a bus from there; or, you can just catch a bus from Springdale itself. I think the main thing that recommends the lodge in Zion is its location, and I believe you'll find better dining options in Springdale.

Bryce doesn't have these restrictions, but sunrise in Bryce over the amphitheater is not to be missed, so it's easier to do from inside the park. That being said, Ruby's is nice, and their RV Park/Campground has cabins and even tipis. The cabins and tipis may be a good budget option for a family.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM

My one suggestion at this point would be to research how to go about getting the Phantom Ranch reservations, and get those first. Being a bit flexible with your dates helps. Once you have those, you can make the others.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 03:55 PM
TAW

I would stay at Desert Pearl for Zion...it's very close to the park.
For Bryce, stay in the park if you can or else at Ruby's.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 05:43 PM

Are you planning on doing the Antelope Slot Canyon Tour out of Page, AZ? If driving by the Vermillion Cliffs, take a short side trip down the road to Lees Landing. Great balanced rocks by road and you can get down to the Colorado River a bit further there. If goung to the Slot Canyon, I can give some hints about how to get photos.
Old Jun 20th, 2007, 06:20 PM

My choice would be the Desert Pearl. It is so close to the park and the shuttle stops right in front of the property. Shuttles from run from early morning until around 10 or 11 p.m. in the summer. The Desert Pearl pool and hot tub are wonderful and the food choices are much better in Springdale.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help with lodging. We do have resv. at Phantom, that is after 3 months and a gazillion phone attempts. LarryT we are staying in Page for 1 night. I'm very interested in photo tips at the Slots. Tell me about the Vermillion Cliffs. This part of the trip I need help!! That leds to this question.

After we leave GC SR early should I go straight to MV. Is Chinle Az. and the Canyon de Chelly worth the detour? Where is the best location for a layover to see MV? We thought of driving straight to Gouldings in Utah. We would arrive in the afternoon for an evening experience I read from Utahtea that a drive by is great way to experience MV. After MV we are going to Paige. I thought we could see MV in the a.m. and then head to Paige and see the Dam area in the afternoon. Layover and see the slots and Bend area on our way to GC NR for 1 night. We will then head to Bryce NP.
I really need help in these 3-4 day interval.

thanks
Mes3
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:44 AM

I second the Desert Pearl with kids. When with kids, we like having the pool (and the TV).
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 04:38 AM

Don't know if you'll be at the GC north rim or south rim but the Vermillion Cliffs are below the Dam out of Page on # 89 alt. May be out of your way. Photo tips: Tours in the Antelope Slot Canyon are weather dependent. If there is rain anywhere within about 30 miles, the tours may be cancelled. Was there just last week and was cloudy but nice. The cloudy conditions made it even darker in the Slot. If using real film, use the highest ISO (speed) you can. A tripod is best but not used by many. If using Digital, set your camera's ISO to the highest setting and use the 'Night Scenes' setting. This will slow down the shutter for best results. Do not allow any sky/very bright light to be in your shot as that will cause bright spots to overwhelm the exposure. Do not use flash for 2 reasons: 1) may get bounce back from the dust in the air and 2) the flash will create a shadow effect on the walls that looks like you have used a dark pencil to outline the walls. Use the nearest wall to lean against when taking you photo. This will let you be as steady as possible for the slow shutter speeds. Also a good idea to take along a bag or cloth to protect your camera from the dirt & dust, especially on the trip out & back. You;ll be going over a rough dirt road and there is lots of dirt & dust kicked up. Enjoy!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 04:52 AM

I was just at Upper Antelope Canyon and week or so back (also went to "the best dam view" and Horseshoe Bend as well - all fantastic sights).

Interesting to see the different approach to photos.

I did place my camera in a plastic bag for the drive since it's on a dirt road.

I don't have a point & shoot digital. I have a Canon SLR digital camera so I can control the exposure exactly as I wish.

I almost always have the camera set to the second lowest ISO (200) for high quality, low noise photos.

I brought a tripod and used a shutter release. I think I had the only tripod at the time I was there. It didn't cause any restrictions, issues or inconvenience. In fact, the guide saw I was pretty serious about this and he spent almost all the time with me.

Being steady is mandatory (tripod or not) since some of my exposures were way over 1 second.

The results were definitely worth it.

You can see photos of the trip at:

www.travelwalks.com

Select the 2007 trip on the bottom right of the page.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:15 AM

Sounds like an awesome trip! We had a similiar experience as Myer at the slot canyons - the guide was quite accommodating to the photographers - letting them lag behind a little with their tripods, etc - and ours delighted in lining up shots on "point-and shoots" and then allowing each to stand in just the right place to take each shot - unfortunately, I don't remember his name....can let you know the group we went with, if you are interested.
Also - on your way either into or out of the NR (or both!), be sure to stop at Jacob's Lake - a lodge with gift hop, deli, post office, etc...they have the most wonderful cookies!!
We found Page to be the best place to find a WalMart to pick up water, snacks, etc for breakfast and lunch -
You really can't go wrong with any of your lodging choices at Zion; at Bryce, I would try to get into the lodge - I wasn't overly impressed with the other options there.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:40 AM

I don't think I went to Antelope Canyon with an organized group.

From 89 I drove east on 98 and past the Big Lake Trading Post. From there it's about a mile and a half to a sign on the right side of the road indicating Upper Antelope Canyon.

You go into the parking lot, pay and they heard you onto open (though covered) trucks for the 15 minute, bumpy, dirt road ride to the Canyon.

Quite simple and an amazing sight to see.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Myers, great photos, which Canon do you shoot. I actually still shoot film with an Elan 7. Have been thinking about a 30D. I can be less careful with the film shooter and change lenes easier but, this gives a good excuse to move to a dslr.

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 09:54 AM

mes3,
I retired an elan7e film camera and bought a Canon 350XT without the kit lens.

I brought over my beloved 28-105 II USM lens and everything was fine until I went to Europe last year.

I noticed that a large proportion of my photos were taken at the widest (28mm). Due to the 1.6 factor of the camera sensor (I think the 30D is a full-frame sensor) the 28mm wide end acts like a 45mm. Just not quite wide enough for travel.

I bought a Sigma 17-70 that acts pretty much like my 28-105 on the elan7e.

All the photos on this trip were taken with the Sigma lens.

I really don't like the idea of changing lenses on the fly. Dust, speed, inconvenience, etc. I'm on vacation not only to take photos but to enjoy myself. Also, I usually travel with my wife and it wouldn't be fair to be carrying around a bag of equipment and constantly be fiddling with it.

I travel with one walk-around lens and make do.

Moving to a digital SLR had a few advantages and disadvantages.

While you take many more photos with the digital, which is good, they must be reviewed and that takes a lot of time.

The best part is the ability to change ISO on the fly. It's the equivalent to changing film speed at will in mid-roll.

Normally I shoot at ISO200 for daylight, outdoors photos. If I walk into a building or in the evening I switch to ISO800 and then when I walk back outside I switch back to ISO200. That's 2 full additional stops I add in low-light conditions.

Almost all of the photos on this trip were taken at ISO200. Even those in Antalope Canyon (tripod and remote shutter release used).

While the quality at ISO800 is pretty good on that camera, ISO200 is better. Everything is a trade-off.

I hope all of this helps.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Original Poster

Myers, great advise!! At the present I have a Quantaray 28-200 3.8-5.6 lens for the Elan7. I agree I d/n want to be changing lenes out in the dust. I may take your advise and purchase a 17-70 or approx. for the 30D body. Your photos are excellent. My boys and I just reviewed them and noted you must of had a pad and pencil to make notes.

I about finalized out trip over the w/e when I noticed Bryce was about booked up for our time frame June 2008. After coming out of the Canyon from Phantom Ranch, we will overnight at the S.R.
We will then spend the following nights at:
2 nights at N.R.
3 nights at Bryce
2 nights at Page
3 nights at Zion
rtrn to Vegas and fly home to ATL.

At Bryce I noticed you made several hikes. We thought about the Big loop or maybe the horse trip. We hope to venture up toward Escalante/ Grand Staircase area 1 day. Were you able to do both hikes ( upper and lower ) at Antelope Canyons?

thanks to all for your help

MES3
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 04:25 PM

mes3,

What makes you think I took notes? No.
- - - -
At Bryce I did 2 hikes. The first day Navajo Loop and Queens Garden.

The 2nd day I went down Navajo Loop, did Peek-A-Boo, then went up the back side of Navajo Loop until the rock slide, then back down and met up with Queens Garden to the end.

That made for a long 2nd day of hiking.

Be aware that Bryce is at an altitude of well over 8,000 feet. Getting winded is quite easy.

Take it easy and drink a lot of water.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -