Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Planning trip to Mackinaw City & Sleeping Bear Dunes, I think

Old Jun 5th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Rhinelander, WI for a reunion in mid-late summer and am searching for a way to extend our trip for a little vacatioin while "in the area." We have an 8 & 10 yr. old. I've been reading some past posts and am thinking we'll drive across the UP and stay somewhere near Mackinac Island. We'd take the ferry over to M.I. and rent bikes for the day (would we need to make bike reservations? Where do you recommend we stay for an overnight - CLEAN - doesn't have to be upscale - but nice. "Quaint" is fun.)
From there, I'm thinking Sleeping Bear Dunes for 2 nights. The Homestead looks very nice. I like the activities listed on their sight - like tubing down the river. Is that available to people not staying at the Homestead? Do you have other lodging suggestions that might be better in Traverse City?
The other idea I had is to head in the opposite direction from Rhinelander and go to MN. Our kids have never been there and it would be a new state to add to their travel map. Anyone have suggestions for a similar experience - cabin or hotel with hiking, biking, etc.?
Thanks for any suggestions with specifics!
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 10:44 AM

I suggest staying at the Days inn in Mackinaw City. Easy ferry ride over. There are 2 Inns I believe. it is the one on Huron Street. It is not your typical Days Inn. Here is the site:
http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/contr...4&brandInfo=DI
The hotel is on the Lake. Nice and clean, you better book soon though.

The other place to stay is in St. Ignace. You can take the ferry over to the Island from there too. I like Mack. City.

I cannot help you out too much with Sleeping Bear, othr than to tell you that you might consider Lelanau. it is a great town, or Frankfort is an option too.

Rather than tubing since you are going to the dunes, you might consider going dune bug riding. There are companies where you can do this.

Good luck.
Old Jun 6th, 2005, 10:49 AM

one more thing...before you go to Mackinaw Island, rent the movei Somewhere in Time.

Also, look at staying on the Island, like at the Iroquois maybe or Island House. it is a great experience.

I have stayed at the Grand Hotel twice and loved it. What a great place...
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:10 AM

You do not need to reserve a bicyle on the Island. I am not even sure that you can.

Late summer as in late August? The crowds tend to die down and motel specials improve about the last 10 days of the month.

Keith
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:27 AM

8 & 10 year olds? They may get bored on the ride across US 2. For a break in the trip let me suggest:

Kitch-iti-kipi Springs in Palms Book State Park near Manistque, Michigan. It is clear, two hundred feet across and forty feet deep. There is a raft you can take out into the ceneter to see down to the bottom of the springs.

Manistque also has a nice boardwalk along Lake Michigan.

Fayette ghost town in the Garden Pennisula, 17 miles south of US 2. An abandoned iron smelting community. Tour the buldings and hike or fish.

When you get closer to the Mackinac Straits, you will pass along the Lake Michigan Shore for many miles, stop and let the kids play on the sand and in the water.

Keith
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Yes - our kids will definitely think it's a long drive - looking forward to the diversion. Thanks for the suggestions, Keith!