Planning Trip to Grand Canyon with Grandson

Sep 8th, 2019, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Planning Trip to Grand Canyon with Grandson

My husband and I are going to take our first 'solo' trip with our 10 year old grandson at the end of the school year. After considerable discussion, he's decided on the Grand Canyon. I think we'll go as soon as he's out of school, so the latter half of June, and probably plan a one week trip. When we went to the Grand Canyon some years ago, we also spent some time in Sedona, and it was about a one week trip.

I'd like to know some good resources for itineraries and activities for kids that age. I had considered one of the Road Scholar Grandparent/Grandchild trips, but when I asked him about it, he said he preferred it be just the 3 of us, so we 'can do what we want'. I guess he's a traveler just like us, we like to travel on our own! When we were in Sedona, we did a jeep tour and a helicopter trip and I'm sure he would love both. I've never done rafting in the area, but I assume he would like that. As soon as I can get solid dates from my son, I'll see about accommodations, I'm probably too late already to stay in the park.

I'm really looking forward to traveling with him, and want to plan a very special trip.

Thanks for your help as always.

Alice
Sep 8th, 2019, 04:46 PM

With one week I'd think about something like Fly Phoenix > drive to the Grand Canyon (2 nights) > Page / Lake Powell boat trio into Antelope Canyon (2 nights) > Zion (2 nights) > Las Vegas/fly home (or in reverse)
Sep 8th, 2019, 04:47 PM

. . . and no, it is not too late to book there.
Sep 8th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, janisj! We went to Zion for the first time this year, so I'm not sure I want to go again so soon. But it WAS fabulous. And I will take a look at Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon, thanks for the suggestion. Seems like a very doable itinerary.

Alice
Sep 8th, 2019, 06:20 PM

Your grandson might like to see Zion with you - since you know the ropes so to speak

But substituting a couple of days in Sedona would be good too. I think the combo of the GC and Antelope Canyon would be great for a 10 yo - anything else will be gravy.
Sep 9th, 2019, 03:05 AM

If you decide on a night in Page, you could do a half day smooth water raft trip on the Colorado river from Glen Canyon Dam to Lee's Ferry (where the outfitters who go into the Grand Canyon on multiway raft trips put in), and also do the trip into Antelope Canyon.

I would try for lodging in Grand Canyon and if they say they are full, make a reservation that can be cancelled in Tusayan or at Cameron Trading post and keep calling back. There are two different numbers to call, one for elTovar, Thunderbird, Kachina and Maswick and another for Yavapai. They get cancellations all the time as people book so far in advance and find they can't make the trip as time gets close.
Sep 9th, 2019, 04:09 AM

You should be able to book one of the 2 Queen bedded motel units in the park, if nothing else is available (Maswick and Yavapai). Note that construction at Maswick may or may not be complete by next summer. Might be worth following them on Twitter etc to see if you can get one of the new rooms.

Maswick and the others are booked through Xanterra
https://www.grandcanyonlodges.com/lodging/

Yavapai is booked through Delaware North
https://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/

Another place we like to combine with the GC is Kanab at Best Friends.

Sep 10th, 2019, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, emalloy. I like the idea of 'smooth' water rafting more than alternative! And Antelope Canyon is looking like a good prospect. I'm going to look into lodging today or tomorrow.

Alice
Sep 10th, 2019, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, mlgb, especially for the warning about the construction at Maseick. I really appreciate the links and I will check out Kanab.

Alice
Sep 11th, 2019, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

I just checked lodging IN the park, and as far as I can tell, the only place with A/C is Yavapai East - and it looks like a room with two queens is available. Good choice? I'm going to check the cancellation policy and maybe just book if it's not a problem. I'll have more time on the weekend to look at Kanab and Antelope Canyon.

Alice
Sep 11th, 2019, 12:56 PM

I think the Maswick North rooms have A/C but I'd probably go with Yavapai for now because of the construction. . The one advantage of Maswick is that it is closer to the Bright Angel complex. However Yavapai has some other advantages, such as the grocery store and being closer to the ampitheater.
Sep 11th, 2019, 05:09 PM
J62

While daytime highs at the end of June can be in the 80s, nightime lows will still be in the high 30's to 40's so AC is not an imperative.
Sep 11th, 2019, 05:15 PM
Original Poster

We like the A/C for noise as much as for temperature. Just running the fan is a help sometimes. And yes, the construction might be an issue at any rate. Thanks mlgb and JB2.

Alice
Sep 12th, 2019, 05:43 AM

Yavapai is fine, not fancy, a bit farther from the rim, but you can walk to the rim trail from there. I would make any reservation that can be cancelled without a large penalty and hope for a room to open up in Kachina, Thunderbird or el Tovar which are right on the rim. Bright Angel lodge and a few cabins are on the rim too, but I do not remember AC when I stayed there last. Remember, lodging on the rim for most rooms does not mean a view, since the view is down from the rim, it just means you can get to the rim with a very short walk.