Planning Route

Old Jan 14th, 2016, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning Route

Planning first trip to USA with family of 3 people for 3 weeks in July 2016. Plan to visit the the following
NEW YORK
WASHINGTON
ORLANDO
MIAMI (maybe)
CHICAGO

Will be arriving at New York JKF airport and thinking not sure how to route them. I can get a return flight either from Washington OR Chicago. Which do u think would be better
NEW YORK - WASHINGTON - ORLANDO - CHICAGO - HOME

OR

NEW YORK - CHICAGO - ORLANDO - WASHINGTON

Am open to all suggestions
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 04:05 AM

Not sure where you are from but all of these places are going to be quite hot and Orlando will be VERY hot and humid - so you need to take that into your plans.

Is this parents and a child, and if so, how old is the child? This could make a big difference.

I'm not sure that the order makes a lot of difference - except if you go form NYC to DC you could train rather than fly. All other connections would need to be air.

there might be a slight advantage to going to Orlando earlier - perhaps slightly less hot as well as earlier in the hurricane season.

But I would probably base it on convenience of flights.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 04:14 AM

I'm not sure it makes a big difference whether they return "home" (wherever that may be) from Chicago or Washington (I assume you mean Washington, D.C. not Washington state). Both of those cities are easily accessible by air to/from the other destinations on your list. Your friends will be essentially making a "loop" that goes either clockwise or counter-clockwise. It's basically going to be the same amount of "air travel" time, same number of flights and with the particular destinations you listed about the same total cost.

I look at the availability of flights from either Chicago or Washington to your friend's "home" and choose the final city that has airfares and schedules that best fits their airfare budget.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 04:19 AM

The train from NYC to DC will probably take the same amount of time as flying when you consider getting to/from airport, check in etc., especially if you go to Dulles.

If you do Chicago, NY, DC, Florida there would be no need for a car until you were in Florida. If you are doing Orlando for the parks you might be able to use the hotel shuttles to get to/from airport and park there too.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 04:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for ur reply

Its a parent child. We couple r in our mid 30's and girl child is 9years

I am from Karachi Pakistan which is a hot city itself, but still do not want to get temperature above 30 centigrade

Yes it would be Washington DC

Do you propose any other alternate cities as well
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 09:19 AM

30 centigrade is only 86 farenheit. You are likely to get temps higher than this is all of these places and would be surprised if it's ever less than that in Orlando during the day. You can easily get temps as high as 35 celsius and above - more likely in Orlando and DC - but all of these cities get temps like that in the summer.

Granted everything (except the outdoors) has air conditioning - but it can still be very uncomfortable.
Old Jan 14th, 2016, 09:26 AM

Oh dear, forget it. All the places on your list--all of them-will be warmer than 30 Celsius.

But you are indeed used to high temps, living in Karachi, so if you adjust your expectations you can still have a good trip.

Is there some reason you must include Chicago? It's really rather out of the way, although of course doable if you plan to fly.
Old Jan 15th, 2016, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Hello

Its my first ever trip to USA. The 2 places that are must on the list are
NEW YORK(shopping, manhattan, city life, sky scrapers etc etc) & ORLANDO (disneyland)

Would have wanted to go to VEGAS also, but its too far and dont want to spend too much time travelling. Therefore dont mind more suggestion on places to go near and around NEW YORK AND ORLANDO

I thought that the most famous cities for first time trip will be WASHINGTON AND CHICAGO apart from the above 2

Yes we are indeed used to high temperature of 35Cent, but its uncomfortable, but there isnt any other time of the year when we can visit these places, so maybe we dont have a choice instead that we select 1 or 2 cooler places as per your suggestions
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 12:42 AM

I think maybe consider going to Boston instead of Chicago. I could be wrong, but I don't actually think flying to Chicago is going to be cheaper than Vegas. Vegas would be hot in July as well. Boston is much closer to NYC than the other two options.

Alternative vacation idea:
I'd recommend Disneyland (California) over Orlando. You could fly into NYC, spend a few days. Fly into Chicago, spend a few days sightseeing and getting used to the time change. Fly into LAX and go to Disneyland for as long as you like, maybe go to Vegas or San Francisco if you really wanted to. Fly home from LAX. Suggesting this mostly because I'm one of those people who really does not do well in humidity, and California would definitely be better weather wise (especially if you went to San Francisco.)

I've been to Washington in summer before and I wouldn't go back for fun.
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 12:44 AM

Meant to say Orlando is actually DisneyWORLD. Just to cut down on the confusion!
Old Jan 16th, 2016, 04:30 AM

Sorry - but there really aren;t any reliably colder places in the US in midsummer.

You can head to Maine if you want - and on average it will be cooler - but you can still get days of 35 and above.

I know our climate is "temperate" but that means very hot in the summer in most places and cold to very cold in winter in many (except extreme southern areas).

I cope by staying indoors a lot in the summer - or going to beach resorts nearby where the temp is about 10 degrees cooler. But cities - and anything in FL - is just going to be hot. And we don't travel in summer, except to the nearby beaches - out travel times are usually May and October.

And Las Vegas won;t help - it- like LA - is in the middle of a desert and can be unbearably hot.