Planning Christmas '05 vacation

Old May 15th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Planning Christmas '05 vacation

We're trying to find the perfect spot for our family vacation during the holidays '05. We'll be traveling with a toddler and a newborn and ideally are looking for a very nice resort with a great pool and/or beach. I keep reading about Aruba so that's definitely a choice but does anyone else have a rec for a great spot that's not too far (from Atlanta) and is warm, family friendly, as well as luxurious?
thanks!
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We went to Aruba last year for spring break. Our family had a lot of fun. My girls are older than your children, but it is definitely family friendly. We stayed at the Marriott resort. I also recommend the Hyatt and Radisson as great hotels. The Marriott has a time share part of their resort which would have kitchen facilities(may come in handy with little ones). Hope this helps.
Old May 15th, 2005, 05:09 PM
GoTravel

I don't think Aruba would be the best choice for a newborn (hot sun, can't use sunblock) and the long plane ride may be a bit too much with a toddler and newborn. I think it is almost 4 hours from Atlanta.

If that doesn't sway you, try the new Marriott. They have some timeshares so they'll be more of a condo rental with resort amenities.

How about Anguilla?

What is your budget?

Old May 15th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

I didn't realize it was such a long trip. We could probably still do it tho -- baby will be 3 months and we could do umbrellas for shade. but thanks for all the suggestions and keep 'em coming!
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:35 PM

A 3-month old and a toddler on a 4-hour flight? Please let us know what flight you are taking so I can be sure to NOT be on that same airplane. I mean, really....you need to consider the travel time to the airport, check-in and security time in addition to airtime, with the multiple meals/snacks and naps that are required by your children. Mess with their schedule and you (with the entire plane) will pay the price.

Florida would be your best (most sane) choice.

Old May 15th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Florida weather can be wet or cool that time of year. I would go for Aruba. I have travelled extensively with young children, including multiple trips to Hawaii, Mexico, Costa Rica, Alaska, etc. I took my then 2 month old and 5 year old to Lake Louise on a February ski holiday which entailed a 4 hour flight followed by a 2 hour drive with temperatures well below zero. We all had a terrific vacation.
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:07 PM
wow

miller20621: Why are you so angry??? I just want you to know that we travelled extensively from the time our kids were about 2 mos old & we never had a problem.(& neither did the others on the planes! You wouldn't even know the babies were on the plane! Infants sleep a lot!! They sleep through the whole thing. Syd1 is trying to plan a trip for the family. They do not need your ranting about trying to avoid the plane they will be taking!
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:21 PM
wow

And, to Syd1: Aruba wld work for you. We have been there @ Christmas & it is wonderful. Go w/ the Marriott timeshare property (I think they may now have a second TS ppty: Aruba Surf Club. The original one is called Aruba Ocean club). But I wld not rec the Marriott Hotel. We stayed there & did not like it.....it was in need of a major facelift so wld not meet your "luxurious" criterion. Radisson or Hyatt wld better choices. Maybe still not "luxurious" but better than Marriott.
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:15 AM

I would agree that Aruba would be a great spot. Even though the flight may be up to 4 hours, it is an easy nonstop from Atlanta - no connections as you might have to some of the smaller Caribbean islands. We've stayed at the Radisson and loved it. It has a zero-entry pool which would be great for your toddler.
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Every family has different kids. My kids are great travelers (especially on planes!) We took our now 12 year old to Hawaii at 14 months old. She flew on my lap all the way (long flight from the east). No problem. I would bring snacks and entertainment for the toddler. That will be the one that you will have to amuse. The baby will most likely sleep. I have been on planes with 8 year olds that kick my seat for four hours. I would rather have an infant nearby than a bratty kid.
Aruba was great and I do agree that the Marriott time shares are great. We enjoyed our stay at the hotel. It is a very nice Marriott. It is not the Ritz, but it is definitely not the Holiday Inn. It is a high end Marriott property. The Surf Club is a brand new time share. The Ocean club had the best beach and the nicest pool area of the property.
I would go back to Aruba in a heartbeat. The flight from Atlanta shouldn't be bad (about 4 hours). If your lucky, your toddler will nap too.
Old May 16th, 2005, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone (except Miller!) for the advice. I will check out all of those options. They sound wonderful. And to Miller, I suggest you consider Marquis Jet or another corporate alternative for your next trip! Sounds like you don't have much patience for anything --
Thanks again to all
Syd
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Boy, I didn't realize how EXPENSIVE it is to go to Aruba and stay at a nice place! Most are around $450-$500 a night and tix from Atlanta run $1200 pp! Anyone have any luck with great deals on packages for travel in Feb? I'm willing to lower my standards a bit, (but really hope to avoid the cigarette burns on the comforter...) so any suggestions are much appreciated. Seems like the best place to go with kids but I'm hoping for a deal here--
thanks
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:53 AM

There is an ARuba chat website;
aruba-bb.com
There is a ton of information on Aruba by people that vacation there a lot. Some own timeshares, others stay at resorts. You may want to post a question on that website to see if anyone knows of a good travel company.
Old May 18th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Great, thanks girlonthego!